ATS Map Compare to ETS2 Map - Picture compare

CarCat

Re: ATS Map Compare to ETS2 Map - Picture compare

#21 Post by CarCat » 15 Nov 2017 15:50

In the ATS map, basing off of the real-life square mileage, we have 509958 square miles. In ETS2, based off of real life, we have 1,117,517 square miles. Although ETS2 has twice as much, it has been out for nearly 5 times as long as ATS. This means that the rate of map production is actually higher in ATS than in ETS2.

DISCLAIMER: I included all countries and map DLCs for each game. I did include Italy, although it is not out yet.
[ external image ]

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there...

I live in Rhode Island and love anything related to trucks.

Specs: Ryzen 3 2200G, 1660 Super, 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Hell_Raiser

#22 Post by Hell_Raiser » 15 Nov 2017 16:05

Couldn't you guys just compare the in game maps for both games? The distortion you see with the Mercator projection is caused by trying to portray a round object on a flat map. The game world should be flat, so unless SCS decided to artificially distort the in game map it should be an accurate comparison.
Gazer75

#23 Post by Gazer75 » 15 Nov 2017 16:08

flight50 wrote: 15 Nov 2017 14:57So if you two want to call me out for an opinion of mine, so be it. But I won't entertain the argument to be civil. I am sure if Wikipedia said the world was actually flat people would believe that too.
Relax. The way you worded that last part below the image lead people to believe you didn't understand why the countries changed size as you moved them around.
MandelSoft
Beta tester

#24 Post by MandelSoft » 15 Nov 2017 16:09

There is a good reason why these states get so big: you get to the pole of the sphere; there you get the biggest deformations. Antarctica and Greenland look huge, but that's because this projection preserves angles, but it does not preserve distance or surface area. From Wikipedia (because I don't have the time to derrive the mathematical formulas myself, obviously):
- Greenland appears larger than Africa, when in reality Africa's area is 14 times greater and Greenland's is comparable to Algeria's alone. Africa also appears to be roughly the same size as Europe, when in reality Africa is nearly 3 times larger.
- Alaska takes as much area on the map as Brazil, when Brazil's area is nearly five times that of Alaska.
- Finland appears with a greater north-south extent than India, although India's is greater.
- Antarctica appears as the biggest continent (and would be infinitely large on a complete map), although it is actually the fifth in area.
To plot the scale problems in one graph:
[ external image ]

As you approach the pole, the scale becomes infinite, because you are trying to plot a line on an infinitesimal point. You can figure out yourself why you can't do that ;)

All these map projections are attempts to plot a sphere on a flat surface, but that's mathematically impossible; you either have to deform your projection or you have to cut through it. Every one of these map projections have a mathematical background and they can be transformed in one another with the correct formulas. I personally am much in favour of the Winkel-Tripel projection.
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.
Gazer75

#25 Post by Gazer75 » 15 Nov 2017 16:11

I believe SCS changed the projection for the in game map a while back.

@CarCat, did you take into account that only a small portion of Norway and Sweden is included?
CarCat

#26 Post by CarCat » 15 Nov 2017 16:13

I just included all of each country. But yes, I know, probably 100,000 or so less than what I got. But yeah.
[ external image ]

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there...

I live in Rhode Island and love anything related to trucks.

Specs: Ryzen 3 2200G, 1660 Super, 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Gazer75

#27 Post by Gazer75 » 15 Nov 2017 16:23

Actually only about 27000sq mi of Norway is included so that's well over 90k missing of its total size.
For Sweden the area covered is around 47k and its total size is over 170k.

So just there you have over 200k sq mi :)
Last edited by Gazer75 on 15 Nov 2017 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Max
SCS Software

#28 Post by Max » 15 Nov 2017 19:40

Gazer75 wrote: 15 Nov 2017 16:11 I believe SCS changed the projection for the in game map a while back.
indeed.
rescale was opportunity to fix more things. before we had USA map in mercator projection (north border was line) and washington state has similar size as texas. now we have lambert conical projection (most used projection in north american atlases) - it preserves distances, areas, good enough shapes and locally angles. the only thing is that east-west direction is curved, but you cannot see it in game, and on map you may expect it as USA are depicted like this commonly. disadvantage is that map is heavily distorted in bigger distances from USA.

btw, ets2 map is also conical projection just with different params.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
bobgrey1997

#29 Post by bobgrey1997 » 16 Nov 2017 02:44

So, here I decided to use this new little comparing site to compare the two maps, both with and without the DLCs. Here is what I got:
With all DLC (including the Italy DLC), keep in mind that ETS2 has 4 DLCs here, ATS only has one:
(The black line on the top is the northern end of the map)
[ external image ]

Now, base game, no DLC:
(black line in France is the edge of ETS2 map)
[ external image ]
They are almost identical!
Sora

#30 Post by Sora » 16 Nov 2017 04:32

ETS2's base game, as I recall, does not include Denmark, but does include small sections of Italy, Poland, and very technically Slovakia. It also technically does not include Northern Ireland and a section of the eastern Czech Republic, but given the restraints of technology here, there's not a whole lot you can do about that without making a right mess.

Incidentally, for the purposes of making an even vaguely decent map that doesn't waste space on the North Sea for at least base game (no DLC) comparisons, it might be wise to pretend ETS2 lacks the UK entirely (~220k sq km without Northern Ireland) and instead includes all of Poland (312k sq km). Counting the scale difference for the UK and what part of Poland already exists there, it should add up to be roughly the same.

Return to “General discussion about the game”