Not standar to the Caltrans MUTCD

xxdebilexx

Not standar to the Caltrans MUTCD

#1 Post by xxdebilexx » 12 Nov 2017 03:36

This exit sign is not standard to the Caltrans MUTCD. Let me explain the typos that I’ve found:
1. Caltrans signs have a height restriction which this one surpasses it.
2. Caltrans puts their exit tab within the sign itself unlike many other States. It is usually located on the top right corner of the highway sign.
3. Caltrans uses a small yellow rectangular tab which says “Only” right next to the pointing up-right or up-left arrow for an exit only sign instead of the exit only panel that covers the entire bottom part of the sign. There’s also another design that has a black pointing down arrow within the “Only” tab.
4. There shouldn’t have a “South” word next the interstate shield because this exit serves two directions and not only one direction.
5. There’s also way they place city/town destinations. From top to bottom, it should be forward, left and right. On this sign that I’m correcting, Los Angeles is placed on top of Phoenix. It should be the contraire because Phoenix is situated on the left and Los Angeles is on the right from that exit.

Here are some examples of a proper Caltrans MUTCD standard sign:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@37.8364969, ... 312!8i6656
https://www.google.ca/maps/@38.0479534, ... 312!8i6656

I hope this will help you guys. Have a pleasant day!
Last edited by ohaha on 12 Nov 2017 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachments have been removed - reserved for bug reports. Please, use an external image hosting service.
xxdebilexx

Re: Not standar to the Caltrans MUTCD

#2 Post by xxdebilexx » 12 Nov 2017 13:46

20171111214636_1.jpg
Here's the screenshot ops :p
Gazer75

#3 Post by Gazer75 » 13 Nov 2017 10:35

They are most likely going to go over all signs in the first 3 states at some point to get them up to NM standard.
http://blog.scssoft.com/2017/11/under-h ... signs.html

I've reported a lot of poor or incorrect signs all over the map after the rescale.
xxdebilexx

#4 Post by xxdebilexx » 15 Nov 2017 21:12

Yeah I have absolutely nothing to say against New Meico DLC signs except for this particular freeway entrance sign that I've found on each New Mexico, Nevada and Arizona on-ramps. If I’m not wrong, Caltrans is the only one using those.

[ external image ]

Oh and also, they forgot to put the "Keep right" sign on boulevards that have an island within the center, which it looks like this...

[ external image ]
Gazer75

#5 Post by Gazer75 » 16 Nov 2017 15:07

Yep, that green "freeway entrance" sign seem to be a California thing. Good catch! :)
Laynlow13

#6 Post by Laynlow13 » 16 Nov 2017 15:20

The green "freeway entrance" sign is used in Nevada as well.
LOOKING TO BUY AN SKRS SHIFTER?
DO NOT BUY FROM CSIO TECHNOLOGIES

They'll take your payment immediately yet they show no signs of fulfilling orders,
I ordered mine May 11, 2017 and they WILL NOT communicate with me at all!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
flight50

#7 Post by flight50 » 16 Nov 2017 15:21

For me, the signs are all understandable and very informative as we know their intent. Trying to get them 100% accurate in every single state will be tedious and imo, not that crucial. Providing them in the first place, gives us enough direction to know what is coming or what it means. I think there has to be a little leniency here. Comparing the signs in ATS to the ones in ETS2, I know what ever sign means in ATS whether it is exactly accurate or not. I am American so I get them. I have to depend on my gps 100% in ETS2. I also know very little of the road signs Europe. Does it ruin the game for me, nope not really. The signs in ATS definitely don't ruin it for me and I don't have to depend so heavily on gps. The signs that ATS does have, has added a butt load of immersion for me and I am loving it just as they have it. Getting them to dig too deep into how accurate a sign is will only create headaches for them. I understand some signs definitely need to cater to a specific area or state, but the majority can be generic imo and used anywhere on the map. Same as the sign holders themselves. I don't care if they are using single pole or the squared up version that looks like a crane arm or if it stretch across the entire road, the sign being there is enough for me.

I prefer their focus be on map expansions than having to keep re-inventing the wheel and redo older areas. Same as they are doing with ETS2. They are moving forward with map expansions and when time permits, they will re-visit older areas of the map. New maps bring in money, old maps burn money as tampering with older maps come to no cost to us but a big loss to SCS as they do the updates for free.
Gazer75

#8 Post by Gazer75 » 16 Nov 2017 16:36

@flight50 Unless you run Promods with ETS2 the signs are all over the place and not that accurate at times.

I had the same struggle at the start with ATS and signs. So many text based signs its insane :)

I do wish they would add east/west north/south to the E route signs in Europe though.
That's one thing I love about the interstate signs. Problem is all the languages.
flight50

#9 Post by flight50 » 16 Nov 2017 17:36

I don't run map mods, not interest if its not SCS maps. Person perference. My main thing in Europe is that I don't know the language. Nor do I know cities and their locations in regards to what country they belong to. World known ones like London, Berlin, Warsaw, Paris, Amsterdam and a few others, I am aware of but 80%, I just can't get there without a gps. I am clueless as to where they are on the Europe map. I would expect the same thing to be said from non-Americans about ATS. It's a familiarly thing above all really.

One of the cool things I like about ETS2 is that is helps my world geography. I am fond to History and Science. I like to know when, where and why things happen. Geography fits in this boat for me. I like to know of places around the world. ETS2 gives me a little bit of that taste. Although neither ATS nor ETS2 depicts 100% reality, it is enough to get an idea on what a region/area is like. I think SCS is representing this resemblance fairly well for all across the globe in regards to European and North American roads.
Gazer75

#10 Post by Gazer75 » 16 Nov 2017 21:18

I wouldn't even bother to play ETS2 without Promods unless it was for testing. The base SCS map is so outdated and boring. The details are nowhere near Promods in many places.
With Promods you get complex interchanges and stuff that is not in any SCS map. You also get a much bigger map.

If there is ever a map mod for ATS with Promods quality and detail I would use it.

Return to “General discussion about the game”