Trailer and cargo masses.

dahaka

Re: Trailer and cargo masses.

#101 Post by dahaka » 13 Apr 2020 22:14

I've simply responded to inaccurate facts stated. you wrote that "Changing gears uphill? Possible but not recomended" which is false, not only is it recommended, but its also necessary.
You also wrote " the trailer is pushing you hard, the retarder will lose the battle pretty fast " which is also innacurate, the retarder loses no battle, its meant to assist you with maintaining speed NOT to ensure that you will do so, so I only corrected you.
Maybe its just a language thing and you meant something else and I understood something else, english is not my native language, so...

The game is fine as far as weight goes, trucks slow down during hillclimbs, accelerate during descents, keep in mind that we don't really have huge descents or climbs ingame, I assume mostly due to map scale, so its not very noticeable ingame. (to be honest very steep ones are rare IRL too.) The main brakes are supposed to stop the truck real fast in case of emergency, and they are VERY potent on modern trucks, so also pretty realistic.
Arayas

#102 Post by Arayas » 13 Apr 2020 23:15

I'm not here to debate with you about your opinion about what you think is driving a truck IRL.
I see your greek flag and i've remembered some hills in Greece where engine break and retarder easily lost the battle with the hill inclination, but it seams you know better. And i'm not talking about little hills that auto-pilot can handle easy.
Changing gears uphill, not only is it recommended, but its also necessary.... maybe in ETS. If you adjust your gear properly you can go uphill in 5th gear without problems, but in your style you end up going up in the 3th gear killing the engine.
"the retarder loses no battle"... are you sure you are not talking from your ETS experience? Because "the game is fine" conclusion in the end makes me think you dont have a clue about a real truck.
Roextended Project
dahaka

#103 Post by dahaka » 14 Apr 2020 01:10

What kind of trucks have you driven IRL? engine power and braking equipment? Age and mechanical conditions of the trucks?
With a Scania 730 you can go up hills in 5th gear, with smaller trucks like 450hp, you don't really stand a chance at steep inclines when you are fully loaded. Show me an average truck (400hp to 550hp) with a 40ton gross weight go up the hills of A7 in Germany, I drive the European roads every day, Frigos, Tankers, Silos all heavily loaded trucks slow down and crawl up the steep long hills at 60, 50, 40 km/h. If you need to go uphill in 3rd gear, you either messed up with slow shifting, or you are overloaded, like severely. (exception being national roads and narrow serpentine roads on mountains, there you may need 3rd gear.)
Since you claim to have driven in Greece, i'll use a more concrete example: the truck was an MAN 480hp euro 6 truck. 2015 model, if im not mistaken. Loaded up at Κ.Ε. ΚΑΛΑΜΑΡΑΚΗΣ at Mesolonghi about 24 tons of sea salt (so about 42 tons total), headed up to Ioannina and from there to Igoumenitsa to take the ferry (traversing the Pindos mountain range). Lowest gear used was 4th uphill (8th if you count splitters), I descended in 4,5th (9th) with the RPM at about 2200 and a steady speed of 75-80 km/h, only used my breaks to stop at toll gates, got away with a bit of excess engine temperature from the uphill struggle, and the hydro static retarder usage downhill.
Nothing personal, but you have stated a bunch of wrong things. I don't think I would be employed by a Dutch company with a Dutch salary, one of the highest for truckers in Europe if I was as clueless as you try to paint me.
Max has already responded to you that the devs know the truck behavior isn't 100 percent accurate, but its the best they can do for now, while they also have to balance realism and gameplay. You are also contradicting yourself, you said you can fly up and down hills ingame which is not realistic. now you are saying that IRL you can go uphill in 5th gear, and shifting down to go uphill is unrealistic ingame.... And for the third and final time, take a good hard look at the inclines we have ingame! they arent very steep, in fact I believe that in most places they are a LOT LESS steep than their real life counterparts (probably because of the map scale) for example the A75 in France doesn't have a single mountain ingame, while its a huge descent and hill climb IRL.
arthurcfbr

#104 Post by arthurcfbr » 14 Apr 2020 01:37

I am also wondering what type of truck he drive/drove. Over here in Brazil we can have trucks up to 74 ton gross with hp between 440 to 560 (the 74 tons trucks, lighter trucks can have less power. but not less than 6 hp for each ton) and they can climb step hills at 40 km/h and dowm this same hills without touching their brake pedals in trucks only with engine brake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1okkZ5HCc4
Also a video of a trucker here in Brazil explaining about how to down hill safely and an example in a video of a guy that lose his brakes.
My Twtich Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/boriscec_acf (Lives in Portuguese, but I do speak english)
Arayas

#105 Post by Arayas » 14 Apr 2020 13:08

Well, i remember early days in training with an older truck driver. He said to me: "Kid, if you stop in a parking lot and you see 20 trucks there, go ask whatever you want because that parking lot contain atleast 20 experts." I see this is valid for forums also. :lol: :lol:
Until you contemplate your greatness i will go do some Formula 1 in ETS2, i am amazed how real the game feels going 154 km/h, ignoring the 20t load, the hills and curves. An expert said that's normal and real. :lol: :lol:

I have seen Max's comment, thank him for that, so the problem is known.
Roextended Project
dahaka

#106 Post by dahaka » 14 Apr 2020 13:33

I am going to link you two videos. watch them, draw your own conclusions. I am no expert, but after 5 years and more than 700.000 kms on the road, on 4 different brands of trucks, with all kinds of cargo, i'd say I can accurately comment on basic driving techinque.

Here is a video of two equally loaded trucks, with comparable HP, a DAF and a Volvo racing uphill. Notice the DAF going up at around 50km/h at some point at 1500 RPM, while the little green light on the dashboard indicates that the splitter is active. I'm most certain he is under the 5th gear, probably on the 4,5th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhRBXJQ-0Fg

Here is a video of a scania doing 120km/h and getting overtaken by another one, that goes much faster. Granted we don't know how heavy they are, but given enough time, the EURO5 MAN could do 140km/h fully loaded. All I had to do was remove one specific fuse, the tachograph would cease to function as well. Ask older drivers, they'll confirm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZ-d0C-sKg
arthurcfbr

#107 Post by arthurcfbr » 14 Apr 2020 14:08

I am not an expert too. But, dude, the phisics in game are not that far from realit if you understand what are the game limitations and I am talking because I am a phisist IRL. And in certain conditions they can go over 160 km/h.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Oe7jIh6uQ
My Twtich Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/boriscec_acf (Lives in Portuguese, but I do speak english)
FlyingPigeon

#108 Post by FlyingPigeon » 24 Apr 2020 05:07

Max wrote: 13 Apr 2020 08:31 not exactly 18 wheeler, but few people here has lot of experience with trucks. i must admit all those experience are with european trucks and those are technically build as very safe ones (you can drive it with almost no skill, really).

inaccuracies are rather math and physics ones. we are missing few mechanisms in physical simulation and fake it by tweaking of other params. which logically make sub-perfect behavior. some of such simulations are quite a burden to CPU as it might be really complex math. and last, we need the game to be playable for majority of people. no one would buy unplayable game, they wont accept it just because he/she do not understand truck technicalities. so we have to carefully balance gameplay and simulation level.
but we are still working on improvements in both.
But if you Will Never aim for most realism because casual players why Call This game a simulator? I mean When i Think of simulation i Think of flight simulation where the learning curve is steep, they dont do things less real just to please casual players so why do you? I mean we have plenty of choices in the menu to play the game as one would like except for us that Want it as real as possible?!
I mean as far as i Know you havnt even implemented ABS.. it’s just getting Harder for a real life truck driver as me to keep backing you up When you dont work to something that is just slight towards real simulation
Scandinavian truckdriver.
LinrLink

#109 Post by LinrLink » 24 Apr 2020 13:27

Have you noticed that there are no loads weighing from 24 to 36 tons?
xXCARL1992Xx

#110 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 24 Apr 2020 13:34

there are more then enough loads from 25 to 36t if you drive in the country that supports this kind of cargo mass
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”