[ARCHIVED] SCS General Discussion Thread

Ilmiont

[ARCHIVED] SCS General Discussion Thread

#1 Post by Ilmiont » 17 Feb 2014 13:30

As of 29th January 2019 this topic was renamed to "SCS Social Media Discussions" to better suit the topic(s) at hand.
This was a blatant abuse of power by Moh, much to the chagrin of all other forumites.

Moh.

===
As of 15/04/2015, this post has been renamed to "SCS Blog discussion" from "Long time, no-see on the SCS blog...".
This was suggested to me by another community member and makes sense in light of how large the thread has become and how it has diverged from my original topic to a general discussion of everything SCS write.
The post was originally created to show how people pressuring SCS for updates isn't a good idea and still maintains that general theme. This thread should remain a community discussion thread based on what SCS have actually written and not badly written feature requests, update release requests, support requests or basically anything that could be suffixed with "requests".
As "Long time, no-see on the SCS blog..." has evolved into a general thread frequented by the entire community, it seems logical to generalize the title to help other community members discover it and its new purpose: discussing, commenting and speculating on what SCS blog without pressuring the company to release things fast or in an unfinished state.

Ilmiont
====

***Original post on 17th April 2014 to "Long time, no-see on the SCS blog...", now "SCS Blog discussion***

Hi guys,

I wonder whats happened to the SCS crew... Its been nearly 3 weeks since they last blogged and that was to say that 1.9 has been pushed-back... are we going to kept in the dark for weeks and then wake up one morning and see "SURPRISE! 1.9 IS HERE"
I just mean its been abnormally long since they last posted and this is absolutely not a bad thing! Take as long as you need, SCS guys, after all you are providing features for free that needn't be given at all so take your time and do what you want!

Ilmiont

Note: This post has been edited to avoid "GIVE US 1.9 NOW" style comments. Please do not even bother writing these below. SCS have already given you EIGHT free updates so THINK before 'I wanting'. This post is intended as a lighthearted, humorous comment to the effect of 'SCS haven't blogged for a bit, maybe they've disappeared' - i.e. "SCS KEEP US WAITING" is really not appreciated as they really don't.
Last edited by Mohegan13 on 29 Jan 2019 15:00, edited 4 times in total.
Ilmiont on World of Trucks

EU: 2012 Volvo FH16
US: 2016 Kenworth W900 / 2015 Volvo VNL
florence3099
Global moderator

Re: Long-time, no-see on the SCS blog...

#2 Post by florence3099 » 17 Feb 2014 14:24

Less time spent posting on the blog means more time spent testing the new patch and preparing it for release.
MartinoPio

#3 Post by MartinoPio » 17 Feb 2014 14:55

SCS Software is working hard for this last patch. You want a great upgrade or an update full of bugs? The work is lasting so much because there are so many ongoing projects that must be done well.
Flemming V
Global moderator

#4 Post by Flemming V » 17 Feb 2014 14:58

I don't like to see when people does these conclusions out of nowhere.
You could not be more wrong. As Beta testers we see 4 to 5 new builds to test each week,
and I promise you that they work and use more energy on ETS2 than you can imagine.
They also use there money to hire more people to make the game even better and still some people just think what you think.
Even worse is that many believe what you just said, even you have no clue how wrong you are in your guess.
Reef

#5 Post by Reef » 17 Feb 2014 16:34

I don't like this attitude towards game devs. Its sad when people go full retard, stop and think about what you're posting in future and unless its based on sourced facts or mature contemplation and observations just keep it to yourself eh!

I'm not going to justify your post by explaining why you are so wrong, those with an ounce of common sense and maturity know anyway!

Good luck on your long and winding road to adulthood, bon voyage!
Ilmiont

#6 Post by Ilmiont » 17 Feb 2014 17:33

Guys, sorry if I didn't make it clear, I am very much FOR SCS taking as much time as they want - even another year or something - to get this patch out. I couldn't care less seeing as 1.8.2.5 is a great build anyway... come to think of it, 1.1.1 was awesome by my books and had just three licensed brands and was full of bugs! ETS2 has come a long, long way since launch and I am quite happy for them to take as long as they want on every patch... if people are going to start harassing them to get jobs done quick then it certainly won't be coming from me. I don't understand how people can expect them to rush a huge physics and AI update whilst working on other DLCs, ATS, ECS, WoTR and other stuff they haven't told us about when they have already had 8 major free patches, each bringing a huge wealth of new features with it! When I first installed and bought ETS2, as a 'LOL its another terrible simulator' game and saw the 'Enable online news to learn about new updates' message I thought 'Hahahaha like they'll ever be any of them!'. How wrong was I. It is now the only 'game' I play, save Minecraft, and the updates have all been amazing.

I wrote this post in an ENTIRELY lighthearted, jokey 'Lol where they have gone to' manner originally as it has been a long time since they wrote on their blog although it is evident that it hasn't entirely been taken in this way.

To SCS: If you are reading this, take as much time as you want on 1.9 and I am sorry if I have attracted the harassers to you again by writing this post!
To the community: Give them time, guys! This is a huge game orginally made by a small studio and rewriting the entire physics and AI engine ain't gonna be a quick job, speaking as a programmer myself! If you don't like it and aren't happy with EIGHT free updates to-date then go find another game! Especially if you are running a CRACKED copy and haven't even the dignity to harass the developers whilst playing something you have actually bought!

gerbiepiep

#7 Post by gerbiepiep » 17 Feb 2014 17:50

SCS do their job still well, lets hope, eventhough they get bigger, they still keep doing well (not like EA).

Blog posts, not needed every single time, if there is nothing new (interesting) for the ears of the community playing the game.
They take time to make and check to before they get even posted.
Quote from Max in a topic sometime ago viewtopic.php?f=41&t=128611&start=10
Max wrote:we can post blog the "we are still testing the ai but that is still not ready for release", are you interested in such no-info?
but yes, it moves forward. we continuously find and fix new bugs, but its still not perfect. as always, it will be released when it will be done. SCS does not make promises that cannot be kept so we cannot give you any date honestly.
thebigbadonion

#8 Post by thebigbadonion » 17 Feb 2014 18:46

I don't really see why everyone has a problem with whats happening, I was reading comments on the blog before. I wonder sometimes if the fans deserve what SCS is doing. SCS are a very rare thing in the game industry, they've released a game, not even a full price game, and are still supporting it fully in its second year. All the new things they've been giving us free, could easily have just gone in to ATS, and the eventual ETS 3, which would have been the absolute norm for any company. But instead SCS decide to make the game better for us, and put the new developments in to the game, and have worked hard to bring us a better experience, for what exactly? They don't get paid for it, so the only conclusion I reach, is to see their fans happy, which in turn is going to increase their reputation. They don't post on a blog fora few weeks, suddenly they're the most evil entity to ever make a video game. This has to affect the moral, and the future decisions they're going to take with future releases. Because this strategy doesn't seem to be working for them.

I just really hope the people complaining, are just a noisy minority. Because if not you don't deserve what you've been given. This will only get worse when they do eventually drop support for ETS2, it will come, it has to come, and it's going to be rather messy, because there is so many over entitled.... I'll leave it there :)

Sure it would be nice to hear a bit more news, but if they have nothing to share, what's the point in them posting non information? It will probably make some of you worse. If the post goes somethign like this

"we're still testing 1.9, things are looking up, getting closer to release, in the meantime, heres some more pictures of ATS" Does anyone care about such a post? I know what ATS is going to look like, it looks great, the next time I hear about ATS though, I'd rather they have something substantial like some real information, better still a gameplay video. If they're not up to that stage, then what's the point?

EDIT: Also I'm not having a go at Ilmiont just raging/venting, because it gets on my nerves, every time I see such posts. :D
Ilmiont

#9 Post by Ilmiont » 17 Feb 2014 20:06

I'm with you @thebigbadonion - like I say this post was originally intended just to highlight the fact that they haven't blogged for a little while in a humorous way and is absolutely NOT intended to attract "I WANT 1.9 FOR FREE NOW" users. I am going to edit the original post to more accurately reflect this intention now. As I have previously stated, I am absolutely for game devs taking as long as they want to produce updates that really aren't necessary and are given to the community for free!

thebigbadonion

#10 Post by thebigbadonion » 17 Feb 2014 20:12

Like I said, I wasn't having a go at you Ilmiont It never sounded like you was raging, sorry if what I said came off the wrong way :lol:

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”