[Guide] How to extract base.scs and def.scs - Efficiently

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
rockandrole18

Re: [Guide] How to extract base.scs and def.scs - Efficiently

#41 Post by rockandrole18 » 05 Dec 2017 19:02

It doesn't work for me, which is very strange because ATS 1.29 extracts like a charm. I tried to restart my computer and I verified the integrity of the base game files in Steam, both attempts didn't help a bit. I used to easily drag the .scs game archive to the "scs_extractor.exe" file which would extract the contents of dragged archive, but now even when using the cmd method it does not work. I am on the VR beta branch, may be that's what causes it? although it used to work fine in the past.. I guess I will try to opt out from the VR beta and try

Edit: Hm.. non-VR version does extract while the version from the VR branch does not. Weird, it did not use to be like that in the past.
m1keY

#42 Post by m1keY » 16 Dec 2017 18:49

Code: Select all

*** ERROR *** : [hashfs] base.scs: The was an error while inflating (/material/road/road_template/it/decal_2_it.dds)
*** ERROR *** : [fs_copy] error reading block: /material/road/road_template/it/decal_2_it.dds @ 0 (chunk size 2960)
*** ERROR *** : [fs_copy] failed to copy files!
*** ERROR *** : Copy of file '/material/road/road_template/it/decal_2_it.dds' to 'E:\SCS-VERKSTAD\W0RKF0LDER\blenderets\base//material/road/road_template/it/decal_2_it.dds' failed!

Code: Select all

*** ERROR *** : [hashfs] dlc_flags_fi.scs: The was an error while inflating (/vehicle/truck/upgrade/paintjob/scania_r_2016/fi_fjo_s_r/cabin1.dds)
*** ERROR *** : [fs_copy] error reading block: /vehicle/truck/upgrade/paintjob/scania_r_2016/fi_fjo_s_r/cabin1.dds @ 0 (chunk size 2872)
*** ERROR *** : [fs_copy] failed to copy files!
*** ERROR *** : Copy of file '/vehicle/truck/upgrade/paintjob/scania_r_2016/fi_fjo_s_r/cabin1.dds' to 'E:\SCS-VERKSTAD\W0RKF0LDER\blenderets\base//vehicle/truck/upgrade/paintjob/scania_r_2016/fi_fjo_s_r/cabin1.dds' failed!
this is what I get with the latest game update ... I have extracted basecontent before without issues ...
even tried the single dlc, same result :roll:
Matr

#43 Post by Matr » 06 Jan 2018 19:51

rockandrole18 wrote: 05 Dec 2017 18:05 I can't seem to extract the official .scs game files any more, it's working fine with ATS archives but not with the latest (1.30) ETS 2 files.. Am I the only one?
No, you not only one. I can't extract .def files too. I wanted to unpack this archive to understand structure of .def of files of truck sound and to make sound MOD for version 1.30. But I couldn't ((((
.....There is someone in my head, but it's not me....
Matr

#44 Post by Matr » 08 Jan 2018 19:26

If someone could extract .def files, please, share it for downloading....
.....There is someone in my head, but it's not me....
xXCARL1992Xx

#45 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 08 Jan 2018 19:28

all tools you need are in the modding wiki, im not using anything else then the SCSExtractor from SCS themself
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
jaws

#47 Post by jaws » 08 Jan 2018 20:43

@Matr, go into your steam lib, right click the ets2 and sellect properties and then click local files, now click browse local files, now a window opens and you see all the scs files, now sellect the def.scs and copy it to a new folder, now download the scs_extractor from https://eurotrucksimulator2.com/mod_tools_archived.php and save it in the same folder you did copy the def.scs to.
Now open the folder up and drag the def.scs on to the scs_extractor.exe file and it will open a window and starts to extract files.

There you go, that is the def files. Good luck.
8-) I am Always on latest patch.
Forum TUT! SCS Support->-> support@scssoft.com
I dont use mods....(Or maybe i will soon again..)
Grimples

#48 Post by Grimples » 08 Jan 2018 21:05

I did try to explain how to extract but gave up <wacko> :o . You forgot to mention where the SCS files will extract too, they should extract to the users 'Documents and Settings' folder, i have no idea where that will be except for WinXP.
xXCARL1992Xx

#49 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 08 Jan 2018 21:09

the data will be extracted where the scs_extractor.exe is
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Grimples

#50 Post by Grimples » 08 Jan 2018 21:42

It does not do that on WinXP.

Return to “Modding Guides”