[REL]Dalton and Elliot Hwy Extreme 1:1 Scale ATS Ver 1.49.1.4 Summer Map Update 28 Nov 23

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
hawkbs

Re: [REL]Dalton and Elliot Hwy Extreme 1:1 Scale ATS Ver 1.46 Summer Edition 8 Dec 22

#3501 Post by hawkbs » 18 Dec 2022 00:54

For People who are Falling through the Map

I have made this a seperate post so it can be referenced at later times.
It is also linked in the first post in this thread.

This doesnt just happen with this map but also with other Map Mods as well as Base Game for both ATS and ETS2.

I have just opened the editor up and selected every single road, prefab and Bezier Patch there is between Fairbanks and Bettles (minus the river crossings) and Deadhorse as well as going North West to Base Operation Center Prudhoe Bay.

As you can see from the these screenshots Collision is definitely ENABLED for all those Roads, Prefabs and Bezier Patches.
If even 1 road, prefab or bezier patch had collision disabled then the check box would not be blank,

All Roads Selected - Total 6634 Roads

Full size version here https://i.imgur.com/vIbJP7p.jpg

[ external image ]

All Prefabs Selected - Total = 534 Prefabs in the Map

Full Size Version here https://i.imgur.com/ejSUcUt.jpg

[ external image ]

All Bezier Patches Selected - Total - 1598 ( Did not select Bettles Trail this time)

Full size verion here https://i.imgur.com/tyWrdhh.jpg

[ external image ]

Conclusion

You guys are driving so fast the Game Engine is probably still loading parameters for the roads, prefabs and Bezier patches and therefore hasnt loaded the fact that collision is Enabled thus you fall through the map.
Also there are DITCHES at the sides of some of these roads and if you overtake on the inside and go down the ditch and overturn then you are more than likely going to go through the floor of the world.

After a search I found several references to people falling through the map not only on base game but custom maps both in ATS and ETS2. I believe it is to do with the game engine itself as SCS didnt design it for people
to be driving trucks like Formula 1 or Indy cars.
Please drive like you would in real life dont drive at stupid speeds or overtake via the terrain and overturn on a ditch. This is why you fall through the game world.
Also try keep an eye on the road and not on your twitch or youtube chat if you are a streamer.

A real life example of exactly what can happen was in Ice Road Truckers Season 4 when Ray went to hang up his Mic on his CB Radio and took his eyes off the road for a second or two. He ended up in the ditch near Ice Cut!

Last edited by hawkbs on 19 Dec 2022 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
Quote from Lisa Kelly on Ice Road Truckers
"When you least expect it the road will get ya"
Indy 5 Hauler

Re: [REL]Dalton and Elliot Hwy Extreme 1:1 Scale ATS Ver 1.46 Summer Edition 8 Dec 22

#3502 Post by Indy 5 Hauler » 18 Dec 2022 10:55

Thanks Hawk, it has been a while since I played ATS at all and I was just excited to start driving, I set my timezone info and for the map I just read "north" and thought that's the one, but it turns out it wasn't the one, it was set to Always North instead of North Locked.

It looks correct now, my bad!

As for terrain holes, I went and opened the map in the editor.

I enabled the collision wireframe display and went looking north of Fox, and I did find missing collisions, but when inspected via the property tool, the segments are supposed to have collisions, so this seems like a strange editor bug.

Some nodes completely lack collision for terrain, but what is even more strange is that some nodes have terrain collision for a good 80% of the length, and missing for the rest of it.

Here is one of the nodes with collisions turned ON but lacking them in practice, it is the first northbound node from Hilltop: https://i.imgur.com/SmP1UZ1.png

Here is me testing the said node in game(forgot to turn off the collision display): https://streamff.com/v/zcGhfkhhX_ (the _ is part of the link, idk why this forum thinks otherwise)

You can see in the final frame that one side has collision, but the other one doesn't.

I tried toggling the collision option on and off a few times but it didn't do anything, its just weird.
Last edited by Indy 5 Hauler on 18 Dec 2022 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
hawkbs

#3503 Post by hawkbs » 18 Dec 2022 13:46

@Indy 5 Hauler Cool that you found that. I will check in the editor if I can find time. Hell week begins in about 6 hours for me so about to hit the sack. Will try look when I get home depending on how long I can stay awake when I get home.
The video link you posted all I get is "The video is now processing...refresh this page" so will try that again tm as well.
I just hope to god I dont have to redo every darn road and shorten the legnths again. Will take quite some time if thats the case. However I feel this is an SCS issue with the road/terrain models.
[ external image ]
Indy 5 Hauler

#3504 Post by Indy 5 Hauler » 18 Dec 2022 15:42

hawkbs wrote: 18 Dec 2022 13:46 I just hope to god I dont have to redo every darn road and shorten the legnths again. Will take quite some time if thats the case. However I feel this is an SCS issue with the road/terrain models.
Well I got some good news then! I scrolled through the entire map, and the issue only happens on the Elliott highway, the problem goes away when the Superfine option is turned off, or when the node is shortened. These seem to be the longest nodes in the map as well.

There is only one affected node between Fairbanks and Fox, the one that extends from this prefab: https://i.imgur.com/HmCixS6.png

Two or three between Fox and Hilltop

A solid amount from HIlltop to and including Livengood.

If you go with disabling Superfine it won't take too long, idk how that could affect the map or physics, in any case I hope its not as bad as it seemed. :mrgreen:
BicycleBill327

#3505 Post by BicycleBill327 » 19 Dec 2022 01:32

I've only fallen through the map once and that was when I pulled over to take a break in an area that was not parking. NOw I set a button to do a quick-save just in case but I've had no issues when on the road even when I've exceeded the speed limit a wee bit. I did see a couple spots on one intersection where the ground is missing and will upload a pic if I see it again. Overall, I've had no issues and as you said even SCS maps and DLC's have glitches. My advice is obey the speed limits and drive like real life. Get plenty of rest HawkBS and enjoy the holidays. Time to hit the highway for me. :lol:
hawkbs

#3506 Post by hawkbs » 19 Dec 2022 02:42

Indy 5 Hauler wrote: 18 Dec 2022 15:42 Well I got some good news then! I scrolled through the entire map, and the issue only happens on the Elliott highway, the problem goes away when the Superfine option is turned off, or when the node is shortened. These seem to be the longest nodes in the map as well.
There is only one affected node between Fairbanks and Fox, the one that extends from this prefab: https://i.imgur.com/HmCixS6.png
Two or three between Fox and Hilltop
A solid amount from HIlltop to and including Livengood.
If you go with disabling Superfine it won't take too long, idk how that could affect the map or physics, in any case I hope its not as bad as it seemed. :mrgreen:
That would explain Darrel who was streaming going off there in that video. Oddly enough when I saw it in his video I immediately drove there and just pulled over normally onto that section of terrain yet I was fine
and didnt go through the map. Maybe it also had something to do with him tipping over that caused it as well.
Will disable superfine as that wont take long at all infact about 15 mins I think.
Just did a search about Superfine and apparently its for the old ATS roads around 1.29 era and before.
Some of the roads in my map have had this option turned on for years and I never caught any update about it.

BicycleBill327 wrote: 19 Dec 2022 01:32 I've only fallen through the map once and that was when I pulled over to take a break in an area that was not parking. NOw I set a button to do a quick-save just in case but I've had no issues when on the road even when I've exceeded the speed limit a wee bit. I did see a couple spots on one intersection where the ground is missing and will upload a pic if I see it again. Overall, I've had no issues and as you said even SCS maps and DLC's have glitches. My advice is obey the speed limits and drive like real life. Get plenty of rest HawkBS and enjoy the holidays. Time to hit the highway for me. :lol:
Yeah would appreciate any screenshots with wp's of holes in the ground. I usually try catch any I can on every update in whatever area Im working on.
Switching between Summer to Winter causes headaches with this as well as grass can hide them in Summer and when you apply the Winter textures it generally means a dev cam run trying to spot these and fix them.
Usually I would just transfer the map files across to Winter, but in this version being such a big update there were alot of things changed, alot of things that have been added including some custom blender work
so I have to do it by applying the Winter textures to the Summer Map then grabbing the Bettles Area Files from my backup, apply those and do a rebuild etc. Then a Dev Cam run to make sure everything is correct
for Winter and nothing green and Summery is around.
[ external image ]
hawkbs

Re: [REL]Dalton and Elliot Hwy Extreme 1:1 Scale ATS Ver 1.46 Summer HOTFIX 19 Dec 22

#3507 Post by hawkbs » 19 Dec 2022 08:15

SUMMER MAP HOTFIX

This hotfix addresses an issue where people could fall through the map
when overtaking via the terrain or going off road.

A tool I had forgotten about and the issue in question was pointed out to me by
@Indy 5 Hauler
So special thanks to him for reminding me of the tool and pointing out the issue and what was causing it.
Its pretty easy to forget about these things.

This might also help any other Map Makers who have had complaints about people falling through the map
when "No Collission" is not ticked yet it still happens.

In a nutshell this map being as old as it is certain sections of roads had "Superfine" ticked as well as an obsolete function called "Stretch Terrain" for painting.
Superfine is a really old function within the editor for old roads. With "Collisions" turned on in "View" in the Editor there were some sections of road covering the entire
map from Fairbanks all the way to Prudhoe Bay that had the Superfine option ticked and it interfered with Collission on the terrain.
There were two options

1. I could leave Superfine ticked and then have to shorten sections of the road
2. I could just untick Superfine and the obsolete Stretch Terrain.

Given the workload option 1 would involve I chose option 2.

I also increased draw distance to maximum where it showed a difference for prefabs, Roads and Bezier Patches.

This will be the last update until the New Year due to real life work.

Please replace the Dalton_Elliot_Hwy_Summer_Map_1.46.scs with this new one.

Download here :- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hkB2GZ ... sp=sharing
[ external image ]
BicycleBill327

Re: [REL]Dalton and Elliot Hwy Extreme 1:1 Scale ATS Ver 1.46 Summer HOTFIX 19 Dec 22

#3508 Post by BicycleBill327 » 24 Dec 2022 16:47

I took these screenshots of the area where there is a FPS issue. Hope they help. No mods except the Dalton Highway.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/g1tg4 ... user=0.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eeLyc ... authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9hP9l ... authuser=0
Last edited by Madkine on 24 Dec 2022 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed broken image tags
Indy 5 Hauler

#3509 Post by Indy 5 Hauler » 24 Dec 2022 19:34

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to Hawkbs and fellow cult followers of this mod 🥳
hawkbs

#3510 Post by hawkbs » 02 Jan 2023 05:15

Happy New Year everyone I trust you all had a great Xmas and New Year.

@BicycleBill327 Cant open any of those pics. Think you could put them on Imgur then grab the BB Code for them and post it here pls.
I have fixed it in this area that was posted by @Indy 5 Hauler https://i.imgur.com/GE0HXuf.png
So if its the same area let me know please.
[ external image ]

Return to “Maps”