9%
Illinois
16%

Total votes: 523

Trakaplex

Re: Poll: Choose (2) States you would like to see next

#6261 Post by Trakaplex » 30 Jan 2023 01:22

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 29 Jan 2023 22:56
flight50 wrote: 29 Jan 2023 22:35The cities aren't huge cities either.
I wouldn't call cities like Shreveport, Alexandria, Lafayette, Baton Rouge and New Orleans small cities. Those are 5 reasonable to large sized cites. In Colorado we have Fort Collins, Denver and Colorado Springs. The rest of the cities are quite small. So, speaking about cities, if you want to compare Arkansas + Louisiana with Colorado I think Arkansas + Louisiana could be quite interesting compared to Colorado.

Of course those tree wall tunnels will probably quite boring. I hope SCS can be a little bit creative with those tree wall tunnels as the east part of the US have a lot of those tree wall tunnels.
Alexandria isn't that large. It only seems so because it's largely suburban, but it can be compared to Abilene. Lafayette is way larger and they might have to cut corners but most of the retail is on Ambassador Caffery (LA-3073) and not Evangeline Thwy. Baton Rouge could be like a mini-Beaumont. For NO, I think the easiest method is to cheat into the gulf a little. That way we could get even the causeway.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Vinnie Terranova

#6262 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 30 Jan 2023 08:11

But in the end it doesn't really matter what the population of a city is, right? Take for instance Redding, CA. The population is just about 100k people. But what it is about is what SCS makes of it. And they have created quite a large city of Redding.

Now, what's the difference between a large and a huge city in ATS? To be honest, not that much I think. Huge cities might have skyscrapers, but the center/downtowns of those cities usually are inaccessible by us. And huge cities might have some huge intersections, which of course is better than the mid-sized interesctions that come with large cities. But in the end, most of the time we spend in the commercial and distribution districts of large/huge cities. And they don't differ too much from each other. Besides those districts we have the company prefabs where we spend time picking up and parking trailers. That's what should make a difference, but in ATS there are a lot of prefabs that look the same in CA as well as in TX, for instance. And of course we spend a lot of time on the interstates and highways.

So, we should not look too much at the population of a city, but we should look at how interesting SCS can make cities. And I think that in Arkansas and Louisiana there are more than enough opportunities for SCS to create some very interesting cities.
flight50

#6263 Post by flight50 » 30 Jan 2023 08:44

Agreed. End of the day, population is just a number.

I mention population as a reference to understand the size and spread of a city. The US is not as dense as Europe population wise. Cities here mostly spread out over wider spans. A city of 1-3 million is nothing to Europe but in the US, 1 million plus is pretty huge by US standards. That defines a lot of spread and real estate it occupies. The larger the population, the more sprawling it is.

Redding is not a good example at all. SCS made it wayyyyy to large for what it is. Redding should be 50-60% smaller than it is in ATS. Its a town of 93k. It should be closer to what Billings Montana provided scale wise. Instead, Redding is as large as Vegas. Redding although done well, it completely throws off the scale of every other large and mega sized/huge city because of how overdone it is.

Once we get East, Redding will be even more obviously that it's too large. Many cities coming should be Redding size when in reality, Redding will dwarf those cities. St. Louis , New Orleans, Buffalo, Birmingham. Etc....those sizes fit Redding's ATS size, not Redding.
Shiva

#6264 Post by Shiva » 30 Jan 2023 14:08

Redding, vs Las Vegas, looking at scale, is not that bad. I'm not counting city population. But exits distances, IRL, vs ingame.
If comparing Evanston WY, then things are a bit different.
City size etc on Interstates, depends a bit on how many exits there is.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#6265 Post by flight50 » 30 Jan 2023 16:00

The size of Redding compared to Vegas may not look bad but on an ecomic level, they are in different leagues. The game is about trucking the economy. The one thing SCS should keep in mind is keeping cities portionate to the industry they provide compared to other cities of similar size. Just because space is there doesn't mean SCS should use it all. Redding shouldn't spread out as much as Vegas, Denver, Austin......but it very much feels like it does.
Last edited by flight50 on 31 Jan 2023 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
Trakaplex

#6266 Post by Trakaplex » 30 Jan 2023 16:23

I think SCS just models cities by the amount of the space available. That's honestly pretty scary. Because even Evanston, WY can't be that big compared to Salt Lake. Compare Rawlins, a little town to Denver. I think Redding is also too big after they redid it and noticed its size similar to Vegas. But Redding had its economy improved majorly, and Vegas is still a little big city with streets. Maybe when they move the redo to the Nevada sector, there will be more suburb. Davido did the same and almost modeled towns in 1:1, but still way too big with the rest of the map.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
gt379

#6267 Post by gt379 » 30 Jan 2023 16:49

just my opinion (maybe SCS did Redding larger because it is the last "big city" before Oregon and for people who only own the basemap well it is a nice place for the "end of the map let's say...
nautofon

#6268 Post by nautofon » 30 Jan 2023 18:15

Don't place too much weight on Redding. It was the more or less the first city to be rebuilt. I think they were still figuring out what they wanted the rebuild to be, and didn't focus too much on comparisons with other cities.

That said, I feel like Trakaplex has a point in saying that the available space is a primary factor in the resulting city size.
angrybirdseller

#6269 Post by angrybirdseller » 31 Jan 2023 02:32

Some cities work better with 1:20 scale than others same with some roads as well. Redding is fine have no problems with it flows well with the scale your working with. The larger cities will always be struggle at 1:20 with limited space to work with.
Texshi

#6270 Post by Texshi » 31 Jan 2023 12:50

I figure Nebraska is the next one on the list..! Two States in and it's been northbound
For SCS P389/P589 Tuning Pack Part Suggestions Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/eaEjKr9
Peterbilt 379 / 389 Tuning Example Inspirations Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/DDGTDPW

Peterbilt forever!

Return to “General discussion about the game”