Next ATS truck speculation

flight50

Re: Next ATS truck speculation

#7531 Post by flight50 » 27 Nov 2022 20:00

I miss read. I took it as though you tried working for them but was rejected because of the distance. But the point was still valid before you gave a break down. But I was saying trying to work for them remote now since they may change their tune a bit. Its understood now though that you won't based on where you are. But that is your situation. I bet there are other situations out there in which SCS should entertain. Whatever they can do to gain talent, they should do it. Being closed minded is limiting them. Life is about taking risk. You learn from getting burned but that doesn't mean they should stop trying.

IIrc, a few years ago it was mentioned that there was some 40 something contractors outside of Prague. I don't know what they do now though. I'm also sure there are people that work various type of jobs too so no telling how difficult those task are working remotely.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#7532 Post by Wolfi » 28 Nov 2022 09:14

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. Ugh.. looks like my English degrades more, the more I speak Danish 😛
But yeah, I got 2 offers/suggestions from Carthoo, back when he was still around. At a later stage I got really close to actual contracted work with SCS (similar to Natvander), as truck consultant. You may see a bit of this in the Cascadia which was my "trial run". But ultimately, we didn't go any further with that, because I decided that my input was not good enough/ not useful enough. A few months after I did have a small breakdown at some point, where, for a brief moment, I considered applying for a job at SCS, but I'm happy I didn't.
Anyways, the closed mindset of SCS really hurts them. As I said, I kinda understand why they want people in the office, but they are locking out a lot of talent this way. I hope he won't get upset with me for saying this, but Smarty was a candidate at one point as well and from what I remember his talks got really far, up to a point where he was told about the Prague requirement and everything instantly died.
That said, it's not always obvious where those people would go. While Smarty is skilled modeler, he's also a walking encyclopedia of technical knowledge, which would probably be more viable for SCS. I do like my trucks too, but I prefer researching and testing them, rather than building everything from scratch. I would happily design stuff for some tuning DLC, or at best glue a different hood to an existing truck but making a whole new truck from scratch every 9 or so months is a bit too much. I guess I could concentrate on testing trucks and trailers, but there's not much to test in ETS2 and ATS already has a very good internal tester who I consider a good friend and as such I wouldn't want to 'compete' with them.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Tristman

#7533 Post by Tristman » 28 Nov 2022 09:48

It would be kinda cool to have someone create parts for existing trucks since we are missing a bunch of standard parts on all trucks. And that person would also be useful if we are ever going to get tuning packs in ATS.

But I do understand that the Prague requirement is just too much for a lot of people. They really should consider having more people work from home, wherever in the world that is.
55sixxx

#7534 Post by 55sixxx » 28 Nov 2022 12:35

I think that may be the biggest fault as to why some things still come with glaring innacuracies in-game... SCS is missing someone who has the technical knowledge and knows how things should look like, someone who completely understands what the most hardcore part of the community expects, because the casuals don't really care for that matter.

Sometimes I have the feeling that SCS makes truck games for truck fans all the while not having a single person in their company that has ever been near a truck. (Both Nemiro and Alex, whom got to drive the T Evo and NG DAF respectively, doesn't really count). How some cargos are strapped down to the trailer in both ATS and ETS2, is a huge proof to my statement.
flight50

#7535 Post by flight50 » 28 Nov 2022 12:45

@Wolfi thanks for the break down and added info. At the same time it's very disappointing to hear of that closed mindset. I like Pavel but I strongly disagree with his stance. SCS's vehicle department could be much improved if only Pavel opened up to remotefor the vehicle departmentas well. Lots of great talent he slammed the door shut to.

This poll is a prime example why Pavel is hurting SCS. This poll should have been 50% less than it is by now. Every year 1 new truck drops probably and 1 more truck behind. There are 14 manufacturers. 13 if you say Volvo is the same. But they have totally different models for each continent.

Moving to Prague is asking for a lot and in today's Era of communication, that requirement to be in Prague is going to sting for quite awhile. By the time Pavel does come around, how many more good candidates will Pavel have passed over? People are literally begging for vehicle team content. Paid or not, that team has struggled for years. Doesn't matter how many seats he opens at SCS. If you can't find experienced people, they will always be a void. If they are trying to grow truck modelers, it reduces the time for that trainer and puts them even further behind. They need experienced bodies, not trainees.
STEVOLVO

#7536 Post by STEVOLVO » 28 Nov 2022 14:50

55sixxx wrote: 28 Nov 2022 12:35 I think that may be the biggest fault as to why some things still come with glaring innacuracies in-game... SCS is missing someone who has the technical knowledge and knows how things should look like, someone who completely understands what the most hardcore part of the community expects, because the casuals don't really care for that matter.

Sometimes I have the feeling that SCS makes truck games for truck fans all the while not having a single person in their company that has ever been near a truck. (Both Nemiro and Alex, whom got to drive the T Evo and NG DAF respectively, doesn't really count). How some cargos are strapped down to the trailer in both ATS and ETS2, is a huge proof to my statement.
Agree, I am pointing this all the time. They need a old-school truck driver, not a rookie, at least as a consultant. It doesn't have to be in their offices just on the phone line or any video communication service.

@flight50 Jon Ruda and his team is number one candidate for that job, but they did not comunicate in a rigt way. I am not familiar about how that conflict ended, and whether there was one at all, but that team is amazing, quality is in some aspects better that SCS's. XBS was a good example too, they just kick him out without any negotiations. Your enemies, if you tame them, can be your best allies.
TRUCKER IN REAL LIFE THANKS TO SCS Soft (true story)
flight50

#7537 Post by flight50 » 28 Nov 2022 18:33

^Yes I agree that your enemies can be your best friend. But I'm aware of what went on the XBS. He posted something he shouldn't have and overfloater did something similar more recently. Great modelers but there are some symbols that are forbidden that I don't think should be posted on this site. Its like that in real life here in the US. We don't have wars here but there are pressure points to avoid. But yes I think Pavel dug into a hole with modelers. He's not doing the work so his eyes are a tad different than others. Others as in the modelers and the end user which are us.....the fans. Obtaining truck modelers or vehicle team personnel in general isn't working in the way most efficient manner to meet current demands right now.

Hopefully that team gets some relief asap before they are overwhelmed and loose people at SCS and perhaps fans. But getting contractor on out of production trucks that are paid is a fairly valid solutions. Contract guys can model a ton more things that what SCS has time to do. The sheer amount of options and customizations that could come from a contractor makes things well worth the buy. We're talking about a truck that could be 2.99 or 3.99 in price. That is nothing. Getting 100k or more to buy those is easy peasy and a lot of profit.

I bet manufacturers are willing to make package deals for old and new trucks. (Buy this new truck license, pay lower for older). Whatever it works out to be is on SCS. All SCS needs is permission/licenses and let a contractor run with it. Sounds........don't worry, most of us use mods anyways. Otherwise use the Cummins that is already in place or one of the many sound recordings SCS did if it fit for trucks they don't even have in game yet. I don't want to see SCS loose fans because Pavel isn't interested in taking more risk. Contractors for vehicles is a win win. Fix the AI via programming and add more vehicle variety. That is a winning formula for the game world.
Madkine
Global moderator

#7538 Post by Madkine » 28 Nov 2022 20:32

@STEVOLVO There are a number of old-school truck drivers in the ranks of SCS.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
STEVOLVO

#7539 Post by STEVOLVO » 28 Nov 2022 20:34

@flight50 Yeah, I've heard about that compromising symbol, but I am sure that thing could have been resolved more peacefully. Not defending anyone, especially not that "group" (which btw I can't believe still exists) I'm just thinking about benefits of their cooperation, if there was more reasonable conversation focused on business and less on personal beliefs etc. Same goes for HoR DLC. Games definitely must not interfer with politics, always innocent people suffer, politicians do not play games anyway. Proposal about external contracts for old-not in production anymore trucks, about which no one cares anymore except us fans, is excellent! What we can do is to create some kind of petition for paid trucks and express our will for that, if that will speed-up the production.
TRUCKER IN REAL LIFE THANKS TO SCS Soft (true story)
flight50

#7540 Post by flight50 » 29 Nov 2022 01:34

STEVOLVO wrote: 28 Nov 2022 20:34 Proposal about external contracts for old-not in production anymore trucks, about which no one cares anymore except us fans, is excellent! What we can do is to create some kind of petition for paid trucks and express our will for that, if that will speed-up the production.
So far, the best petition is the "Out of Production" poll in my signature. If SCS created just oneeeeeeeeeeee truck from that thread, the hype for older trucks will show its face here on the forum. People would join the forum just to comment on (x) addition. If that poll wasn't considered as a wishlist, it could exist here in the General Discussion thread for more feedback. The biggest thing I keep saying is that there are many players of all ages that plays SCS games. Each of us grew up with different trucks. Its those trucks from our generations that are wanted in the game. Sometimes people are just fascinated by the oldies as well outside of their generation.

Pavel mentioned that he doesn't want the games to be a museum of old trucks on the last stream. He could have been talking about tech though. But either way, I disagree. I think that museum is exactly what SCS needs to implement. One of the biggest are COE's in ATS. You can still find a few on the roads here today. They are O/O but they do exist. I see one about once a year but I also don't travel the roads 24/7 here. I spot them on my commute. But now that I have a great view from my new office space, I find myself looking out at the High Five here in Dallas at all the truck traffic. I see lots of trailer types as well and I find myself wondering..........what if that was in the game.

From the Argosy all the way down to the K100/352 or even over the the Mack Superliner and Mack R..........SCS can make money off these legends if Pavel re-evaluated his stance on vehicle team talent.

Return to “General discussion about the game”