Next ATS truck speculation

The_SimTrucker

Re: Next ATS truck speculation

#6811 Post by The_SimTrucker » 12 Aug 2022 20:40

I make myself no illusions: the SCS is not going to make a Nikola or any other electric truck in ATS. And I'm fine with that, the game is not ready for that type of truck. Not only does the game engine need a simulation of a electric motor, also a revised cargo system is needed. Because all electric trucks are short/medium range and therefor need to specialize in short haul, inner city drops, etc. Those mechanics are not in ATS at this moment.
oldmanclippy

#6812 Post by oldmanclippy » 12 Aug 2022 21:56

I'd like to see the new VNL, 579, and T680 at least before COEs, sure. Those are the three remaining very common trucks in real traffic that need to be added. Of course I'm also very excited for the 4900, 122SD, Oldcadia, Pinnacle, etc, but those three are the really important ones to add.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
JoeAlex23

#6813 Post by JoeAlex23 » 12 Aug 2022 22:06

I agree, we need to see the missing 3 current "Modern Aero" trucks before thinking about out of production trucks.
Vinnie Terranova

#6814 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 12 Aug 2022 22:10

But... we already have a lot of modern aero trucks... I think it is time for something special. Like a cabover Freightliner FLT64T, Kenworth K100, Peterbilt 362, etc.
Sora

#6815 Post by Sora » 12 Aug 2022 22:39

If cabovers or electric trucks see long-term practical use in the US market, they should absolutely be represented in ATS. Moreover, considering the criticism of the LT and 57X for being too samey, it makes sense for them to be prioritized because they necessarily would be different experiences from any truck currently in the game.

"If", however, is an important word there. Until these things exist in such capacity that the average person may actually see them on the road, it's better to stick with the more obvious omissions.
EllieODaire

#6816 Post by EllieODaire » 13 Aug 2022 00:31

The DAF truck I photographed was just a show pony for industry events, it is not a sign of things to come for the US market. There is zero push for cabovers to return to the USA. The few places where they are still useful due to length limitations are easily served with daycabs, shorter trailers, or STAA doubles, plus many of those areas are being gradually opened up to 53 footers via highway improvements.
flight50

#6817 Post by flight50 » 13 Aug 2022 04:54

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 12 Aug 2022 22:10 But... we already have a lot of modern aero trucks... I think it is time for something special. Like a cabover Freightliner FLT64T, Kenworth K100, Peterbilt 362, etc.
Sora wrote: 12 Aug 2022 22:39 If cabovers or electric trucks see long-term practical use in the US market, they should absolutely be represented in ATS. Moreover, considering the criticism of the LT and 57X for being too samey, it makes sense for them to be prioritized because they necessarily would be different experiences from any truck currently in the game.

"If", however, is an important word there. Until these things exist in such capacity that the average person may actually see them on the road, it's better to stick with the more obvious omissions.
This is how I see it. We finally have a decent current day in production roster. Sure we still have lots to go and more will come but at the same time, who is granting licenses and for what truck? If SCS can't get Paccar licenses anymore that knocks out the 2 new gens, the W990 and the T800/T880. Unfortunately that shuts the door on the K100 and Pete 351 as well. There are others players in the game though. International and Daimler seem to be the 2 most cooperative right now but people want some love from the other brands. At some point, you won't have anything from them to do but if they are the most cooperative........what do you go after from them? Their out of production.

Trucks is also about trucking history to some of us and a lot of us would love to have some out of production models whenever we can get it. No exact time line..just bring them. if negotiates for the remaining in production trucks fails, go after something. There's enough truck history for NA to keep the vehicle team busy for years. Unless SCS kicks out 3-4 a year, they won't catch up no time soon.
Vinnie Terranova

#6818 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 13 Aug 2022 06:15

Sora wrote: 12 Aug 2022 22:39If cabovers or electric trucks see long-term practical use in the US market, they should absolutely be represented in ATS.
I highly disagree. ATS is a game. It's not a 1:1 representation of the real world. Likewise the trucks we now have in the game are also not a 1:1 representation of the real trucks; we even can't open doors or the hood. So, why should truck manufacturers 'dictate' SCS which trucks ATS can have? It looks like the licences for trucks is pushing ATS in a certain direction, while only SCS should be pushing ATS in a certain direction. It's like truck manufacturers are the real boss of ATS instead of SCS Software.
Tristman

#6819 Post by Tristman » 13 Aug 2022 07:10

Opening doors or hood has nothing to do with a 1:1 representation of a truck. It’s just that SCS hasn’t made it possible to do so.

Also your argument that manufacturers push what trucks are released is contradictory with the release of the International 9900i. International had no reason to want that truck in the game as they don’t sell it anymore nor does it have a successor. Stuff like the Western Star 49X and 57X are clearly promotional deals that a manufacturer offered to SCS, but that doesn’t mean all trucks we get are decided by manufacturers…
harishw8r

#6820 Post by harishw8r » 13 Aug 2022 08:10

Manufacturers always have the final say about whether or not to feature a specific truck in-game. A brand like Daimler would be the last one to expect an older truck from. They see this game as a promotional tool and that's a win-win for modern truck fans; for others, not much. Only the brands that see this as a negotiation would permit any truck SCS desires. SCS is the one who wanted the LoneStar first (Source: LT launch stream), and International had no issues with the 9900i's addition.

As for the game, I would like to see the current models, mainly OTRs, first (including Oldcadia and 5700XE) and overhaul the AI traffic. Truck AI in the game is an eyesore, especially in the truck stops that spawn only five models no matter what. While both these can be done independently, grouping them at least give them a reason. Classic trucks are also a must-have, but I don't see them as a priority because they are out of production. Maybe some 4-5 easy and essential trucks before we get the classics.

Return to “General discussion about the game”