Next ATS truck speculation

STEVOLVO

Re: Next ATS truck speculation

#7541 Post by STEVOLVO » 29 Nov 2022 09:25

@flight50 Oh, thanks for reminding me, I came across that thread earlier this year, but didn't vote. My votes are for Freightliners.
TRUCKER IN REAL LIFE THANKS TO SCS Soft (true story)
Texshi

#7542 Post by Texshi » 29 Nov 2022 10:11

If they would just add the trucks from 2000 - 2016 then things would be fine.. like trucks that left production, don't need 1980s trucks as much as anyone else would like a good middle ground would be fine
For SCS P389/P589 Tuning Pack Part Suggestions Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/eaEjKr9
Peterbilt 379 / 389 Tuning Example Inspirations Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/DDGTDPW

Peterbilt forever!
Wolfi
Beta tester

#7543 Post by Wolfi » 29 Nov 2022 10:12

I'm afraid that's where 2 of SCS biggest issues combine. Lack of passion for trucks and catering towards casual majority (kids).
I think, anyone who's even remotely interested in trucks does have a little bit of a passion for oldies. It's not like they are in America only, they are everywhere. Heck, even some of the bigger trucking companies around me, have some of those oldies parked in their yards and some are still in use. Not even counting owner-operators. SCS doesn't seem to understand, that it's not turning the game into a museum, it's turning the game into reality. Those trucks are still here and are becoming more and more popular. Heck, they are getting so popular, that in Europe there are multiple big companies which will restore any old truck you bring them to mint condition. Those oldies are not going anywhere, they are here to stay and I dare say, there will be even more of them.
The other issue is catering to younger playerbase. Old trucks have the issue of being power limited. Most trucks back in the day went up to 400hp max (with a few exceptions). Those trucks don't go very fast and as such are less attractive to the younger part of the playerbase, which seems to consist of mostly 8x4 racers.
All that said, I still believe Pavel's words were pulled out of context and I hope at some point in the far away future we might see a paid classic truck DLC.
It's the only reasonable option.
If you look at the most popular truck mods, you will find 2 types of them: either the super new ones, which SCS didn't add to the game yet, OR the classic ones. For every somewhat popular classic American truck, there's at least 2-3 mods available out there.
SCS will have to dig into this sooner or later.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
NoDe31

#7544 Post by NoDe31 » 29 Nov 2022 10:47

Wolfi wrote: 29 Nov 2022 10:12 I'm afraid that's where 2 of SCS biggest issues combine. Lack of passion for trucks and catering towards casual majority (kids).
I think, anyone who's even remotely interested in trucks does have a little bit of a passion for oldies. It's not like they are in America only, they are everywhere. Heck, even some of the bigger trucking companies around me, have some of those oldies parked in their yards and some are still in use. Not even counting owner-operators. SCS doesn't seem to understand, that it's not turning the game into a museum, it's turning the game into reality. Those trucks are still here and are becoming more and more popular. Heck, they are getting so popular, that in Europe there are multiple big companies which will restore any old truck you bring them to mint condition. Those oldies are not going anywhere, they are here to stay and I dare say, there will be even more of them.
The other issue is catering to younger playerbase. Old trucks have the issue of being power limited. Most trucks back in the day went up to 400hp max (with a few exceptions). Those trucks don't go very fast and as such are less attractive to the younger part of the playerbase, which seems to consist of mostly 8x4 racers.
All that said, I still believe Pavel's words were pulled out of context and I hope at some point in the far away future we might see a paid classic truck DLC.
It's the only reasonable option.
If you look at the most popular truck mods, you will find 2 types of them: either the super new ones, which SCS didn't add to the game yet, OR the classic ones. For every somewhat popular classic American truck, there's at least 2-3 mods available out there.
SCS will have to dig into this sooner or later.
I dont think passion has anything to do with scarce number of "old boys"... Money and geting those license is most probable reason... Its werry expensive and hazardous process, and they just probably conclude that its not worth of major effort...
Texshi

#7545 Post by Texshi » 29 Nov 2022 13:21

Classics don't seem to be limited by power.. In fact they seemed to have more power than the new stuff nowadays, they just get choked up with emission stuff from what I hear at least/see while being around this life a lot I always hear the love for Catarpillars/Detroits/Cummins Especially those Cats.

But that is what is depressing is that they, only bring the new new because yeah they look at the young gen not the old. I can't help it I like a flat straight hood split windshield Pete over any swoop anteater type. Aerodynamics is good for fuel but they just don't look that good, I however came to slowly appreciate them. It took awhile to like the 387, Like the 579 It's still a Peterbilt I support it.

The Peterbilt 567 is the best middle ground of both classic & New it's got a half & half sloped hood but still keeps the classic stacks to the side sleeper.. but still not in game sadly
For SCS P389/P589 Tuning Pack Part Suggestions Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/eaEjKr9
Peterbilt 379 / 389 Tuning Example Inspirations Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/DDGTDPW

Peterbilt forever!
NoDe31

#7546 Post by NoDe31 » 29 Nov 2022 13:42

Texshi wrote: 29 Nov 2022 13:21 Classics don't seem to be limited by power.. In fact they seemed to have more power than the new stuff nowadays
That is just myth that CAT fans love to bring it up here and there... Truth is, modern engines have more or same HP output and Torque as old engines, but can achive that on lower RPM range, thus better efficiency... Or you want to say that Cummins X15 605HP and 2050Ib-ft torque is somehow limited? Or even better, Volvo D16 (750HP and 2618ib-ft) is somehow limited? Or 770HP DC16 V8 engine from Scania?
55sixxx

#7547 Post by 55sixxx » 29 Nov 2022 20:51

IRL the buyers don't care about how newer engines may perform better, they care about reliability... And you simply cannot deny the fact that all the Post-DEF engines have more issues than any Pre-DEF engine... Yes, things are always bound to break on any engine no matter it's age but you also can't deny that when you eventually face engine troubles, the Pre-DEF models will be cheaper to maintain and will most probably live longer. I've heard that a Pre-DEF engine turbo is around 2000 dollars to replace while a new one that has the DEF system can cost up to 8000 or 9000 so there's that.

And SCS doesn't seem to be very interested into bringing older trucks to either game... They want to keep pumping out the curb sniffers instead, which by the way, seems to be updated by real brands faster than SCS can produce a truck. Last new truck we've gotten was the 9900i and it took a good while for it to release, the others were just new hoods for existing models and SCS still managed to take a long time to make them.

Just look at the TGX 2020, it was firstly teased in the last Xmas stream but to our surprise in August, we found out SCS is probably not even half way done with the project.
tigolebitties

#7548 Post by tigolebitties » 29 Nov 2022 20:55

It's not just that the engines are different, but also transmissions and gearing are different too. I'll wager a guess that average loads today are probably heavier as well.

As far as classics vs aero/new I'll definitely say I'd rather look at a classic but if I was on the road, give me a modern aero truck any day. It just makes the most sense from a financial standpoint.
xXCARL1992Xx

#7549 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 29 Nov 2022 20:59

why should a turbocharger be more expensive for an engine that has an Exhaust Filter System ?

DEF fluid has nothing to do with the engine, it is injected into the after treatment ways away from the engine, i can get a turbo for a Cascadia anywhere from 500 to 2300$ and let a garage replace it for me or do it myself
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
howey

#7550 Post by howey » 29 Nov 2022 22:26

NoDe31 wrote: 29 Nov 2022 13:42 That is just myth that CAT fans love to bring it up here and there... Truth is, modern engines have more or same HP output and Torque as old engines, but can achive that on lower RPM range, thus better efficiency... Or you want to say that Cummins X15 605HP and 2050Ib-ft torque is somehow limited? Or even better, Volvo D16 (750HP and 2618ib-ft) is somehow limited? Or 770HP DC16 V8 engine from Scania?
What I think he mean't to say is that they were alot more responsive in the power distribution compared to the current more modern engines. C15's and a N14 I have driven were way better in power response (especially hill climbing) then any ISX/X15 I have drove. The big difference between them was how the software was programmed in the ECM/PCM. The only exception older motor the was like the current motors in power response from experience was a 600 C16. Because it was a high torque output engine for its time is was quite laggy in response as a safeguard so you would'nt tear out a prop/driveshaft or a diff when you would try and quick change so I was told. Don't know about Detriot characteristics or response though as I have never operated one.

Return to “General discussion about the game”