Next ATS truck speculation

JoeAlex23

Re: Next ATS truck speculation

#6971 Post by JoeAlex23 » 18 Aug 2022 19:07

Sure thing buddy, unless you work for SCS and know how things work inside the company, anything you or any of us say is pure speculation. I respect your opinion and all of that, but don't go around calling the devs "lazy" because you don't see the things you want as fast as you want them, end of the discussion from my side.
xXCARL1992Xx

#6972 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 18 Aug 2022 19:07

"Hire juniors and train them just like you did on map team."

it isnt SCS job to teach them how to do 3D work, you have to go to school to learn it, or you have to be really good when you teached it yourself and these kind of people are hard to come by, it isnt like mappers that can be trained inhause, because nobody else in the world uses their mapping program, 3D artist on the other hand use industry standard programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Houdini etc. and the knowledge how to use it is required to even get hired
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
JoeAlex23

#6973 Post by JoeAlex23 » 18 Aug 2022 19:14

^ What he said, but at this point it's just pointless trying to explain that to him. :lol:

Best thing SCS could do is outsource 3d artists to work remotely but they have their reasons for not doing that yet.
55sixxx

#6974 Post by 55sixxx » 18 Aug 2022 19:57

Currently there's no other choice but to sit down and wait until they feel like it's releasing time. Because no matter how much we voice out our discontentment with the current release rate, nothing will change it... Might as well just get behind the wheel and enjoy the driving, like I've been doing.

My second most favorite truck is already in ATS (Anthem) and now I'm waiting for the third (New VNL) and of course, the first (NextGen 579). VNL seems to be the more (obvious) possible release for late 2022 and the 579, still looks way too far away unfortunately. Heck, we may not even get any more trucks this year...
OzembuchVRICI

#6975 Post by OzembuchVRICI » 18 Aug 2022 20:25

It would be nice if SCS introduced the New Gen Kenworth T680 and Peterbilt 579 together, or 1 day apart. Like they did at the beginning.
mackintosh

#6976 Post by mackintosh » 18 Aug 2022 21:29

Well, new trucks are obviously doing something, because after years of stagnation, the number of average daily players has been slowly increasing since 2020.
55sixxx

#6977 Post by 55sixxx » 18 Aug 2022 22:09

I have to admit it get's really really frustrating sometimes... The NextGen 579 and perhaps the T680 are great looking trucks and the VNL is the second most common sight in US roads, we watch videos on YT showcasing those trucks and we think, damn, I want to drive this thing in-game... But then you remember it may be some years until you finally get to. Just look at ETS2... It's been years people have been waiting to drive the S-Way, New FH, Actros 5 and TGX 2020 and they still got none of those. I was really hopeful that SCS's partnership with PACCAR and DAF would benefit ATS and get us the 579/T680 but it's shaping to not be the case.

And I totally get what @Freeze338 was saying. The release rate could be a lot better... Maybe one truck each three months (Or one each four months) just so the chances of everyone getting their favorite unreleased truck much sooner than expected could be higher.
Sora

#6978 Post by Sora » 18 Aug 2022 22:20

Freeze338 wrote: 18 Aug 2022 05:11 I saw same vehicle team released 4 trucks in a year
Which year was this? Because there are a lot of situations where a truck doesn't necessarily correspond with when work was actually being done on it. The Renault T, for example, was done well in advance of its release, and the launch trucks were probably produced some time before the game actually launched. And both games have "unique trucks" where they were clearly able to use the same work for multiple trucks, most obviously the Scania R/S.

Even now, we've had three trucks released within the last twelve months: the 57X, the 9900i, and the LT (and the DAF XF on the ETS2 end). That's pretty brisk compared to the pre-2020 era, and while the LT and 57X are respectively very similar to the LoneStar and the Cascadia, the 9900i is arguably the most unique truck in the entire game, and I'd never trade it for more "common" modern trucks.
Freeze338 wrote: 18 Aug 2022 18:56 Hire juniors and train them just like you did on map team. I'm around here a lot and I don't believe that SCS couldn't do trucks because of licensing.
That being the case, they would've been dumping out trucks like nobody's business during the first half of the game's lifespan; instead, they struggled for years just to get the VNL, such that we didn't even have every brand until 2020. The idea that licensing wasn't an issue at some point is straight-up delusional fantasy. I guarantee that SCS would've rather been working on the Old Cascadia than spending half of every stream apologizing for the lack of progress as ATS's first impression wasted away into dust. And we know there were issues with the Renault T and Man TGX, too.

But sure, let's say they hire a bunch of juniors and power through whatever backlog of licenses they have until they run out. What happens to the juniors after that? There's no guarantee that they'll continue to be able to find new licenses, and even if they did it could easily end up being from a limited range of brands who are more cooperative; you know people'd throw fits if we got 6 Internationals when most brands are still at 2-3. And if nobody's willing to cooperate? Bye bye, juniors. "Toss more money at it!", you might say. But that's not necessarily a simple prospect either, especially if it turns out some brands ask for a lot more than the playerbase can realistically provide (especially since the juniors need to get paid too.)

And while the community would get used to it, the first "paid truck" would probably be net negative PR, too, since it's a new monetization that goes against the game's previous stance.
55sixxx

#6979 Post by 55sixxx » 18 Aug 2022 22:27

Sora wrote: 18 Aug 2022 22:20 Which year was this?
In the span of one year they released the LoneStar, Anthem, 49X and Cascadia for ATS. (December 2019 to December 2020) And that was when there were hella restrictions due to covid and a lot of people were working from home.

LT and 57X were just new hoods to existing cabs, so I wouldn't go so far as fully new (Not SCS's fault but the actual brands themselves). The 57X in-game even shares literally every single chassis part with the Cascadia, the cabs were taken from the 49X, Visors are from the 49X, Mirrors are from the 49X... If you select the 57X in the truck browser and then the Cascadia while looking at the chassis, literally nothing changes expect for the tailights.
Last edited by 55sixxx on 18 Aug 2022 22:34, edited 2 times in total.
mackintosh

#6980 Post by mackintosh » 18 Aug 2022 22:30

We have so little cargo variety the vehicle team would have plenty things left to model in their down time - should they ever have any. Having things to do would be the least of their concern. The manpower issue has been known for years. It's difficult to hire talent when you have two huge developers north of the border creating a vacuum - and that's without even mentioning the opportunities further west.

Return to “General discussion about the game”