Alaskan Truck Simulator

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Alaskan Truck Simulator

#91 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 14 Jun 2022 06:54

So, in short: Alaskan Truck Simulator is not good enough, although it has some nice features; therefore Alaskan Truck Simulator 2 could have more potential and should be more interesting...
Madkine
Global moderator

#92 Post by Madkine » 14 Jun 2022 08:31

Except it's unlikely to sell enough copies to warrant a v2, so maybe we should all buy it anyway to provide them some funding to do better?
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Optional Features

#93 Post by Optional Features » 14 Jun 2022 09:31

I don't see myself buying it tbh: Truck World Australia is the one I'd buy if any.

This is an interesting game for sure, but nothing I saw is going to be worth whatever price they charge. It's not a good hunting game; it's not a good cooking game; it's not a good driving game. It's a mix of somewhat fresh ideas and existing ones, none of which are fully fleshed out.

We already have that with SCS, and ATS looks far better although it could look better yet.
rookie31st

#94 Post by rookie31st » 14 Jun 2022 12:42

I like driving, and I want to enjoy driving among other things. I cannot enjoy playing Farming Simulator despite its huge appeal because it doesn't have proper vehicle physics.
Similarly, I will not enjoy the Alaskan Truck Simulator with its current physics. It has to reach at least the level of MudRunner/SnowRunner to be appealing.
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
rookie31st

#95 Post by rookie31st » 14 Jun 2022 14:00

Grizzly wrote: 13 Jun 2022 21:59I can't believe after however many years of development that they come out with this concept that while you're driving with a wheel you need to use both the mouse and keyboard just to turn on the wipers...
Poor choice for default assignments, but you can actually re-assign interaction from 'E' to left-mouse-button and make it much easier to get things done
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Marcello Julio

#96 Post by Marcello Julio » 14 Jun 2022 15:27

Well, I will give my review of Alaskan Truck Simulator Demo what is good, what is not good and what I think would add to the SCS games.

1º Panel interaction. I admit that I really liked how this was added and approached, but unfortunately it is wrong in some points, mainly that several functions you are forced to interact in the panel and not use a key to be faster, as is the case with ETS2 and ATS . If you're going to bring this feature, allow it to address both sides, both the interaction and the keyboard shortcuts. If this sort of thing is in the SCS plans, I hope they bring it up in the right way.

2º Use the Truck Sleeper to sleep and choose how much sleep I want. This is one of the things that I liked the most by far and that I wish they had in ATS and ETS2. For Sleeper to have functionality and for me to choose how long I want to sleep. That last feature was in the 18 Wheels of Steel and never came back. I hope it's something that SCS brings back beyond being able to use Sleeper.

3º Steering wheel support. To be honest, the steering wheel support in this demo game is still completely primitive. I know it's a Demo and that they will possibly improve a lot, but for the Demo, they had to bring at least the main thing. Force Feedback is ridiculous, half of the stuff can't be mapped, you don't feel anything on the wheel when you pass a bump or some non-flat surface. On the ATS and ETS2, you actually feel the force feedback and all while driving. If they really want it to be a truck game, the steering wheel is the main thing they need to work on.

4º Hunger issues and being cold. At least I hated it. I know it's something 'real life', but I play ETS2 and ATS because of the fact of transport, I wouldn't want to have these things, unless if I did, it was put as an option and the player chooses whether they want it or not. Forcing you to do this I think it's horrible.

5º inaccuracies. Both truck and trailer, the game has several inaccuracies. I know they are using unlicensed trucks and trailers and that for me is not a problem but they can make it accurate with real life even using unlicensed stuff. ATS and ETS2 achieve this and they can be able to if they want to. Some of this stuff since the first gameplay video was reported by the community and they didn't make the effort to fix it. Let's see if for the final game or a future second demo this will be fixed.

In the end, for me the Demo is a 5/10. Has cool features, but some applied completely wrong. Speaking specifically of ETS2 and ATS, it would be interesting to have some of these things, like panel interaction, use Sleeper, select how long I want to sleep, but I hope SCS does it right form.
SirVirgoTheMess

#97 Post by SirVirgoTheMess » 14 Jun 2022 15:38

I would like to try it, but i can't. My PC specs won't handle the game well. Except the RAM memory, because i have 16 GB and that's what the game asks for.
But anyway i'll stick to ATS and ETS 2 for the trucking games.
Optional Features

#98 Post by Optional Features » 14 Jun 2022 20:16

@Marcello Julio The truck and trailer models to me are the worst part: even a casual viewing of Season 3 of IRT could have helped them make something closer to reality. And there are thousands of pics online showing real trucks in Alaska with axle setups that are almost exclusive to the state.

Without even a hint at these real life setups, and in its place an unmoddable set of half-Euro/half-American/all imaginary trucks and trailers, the game just looks terrible.

I'd love to offer them some advice, but it would require a bunch of work that they don't seem interested in putting forth.
Grizzly

#99 Post by Grizzly » 14 Jun 2022 22:30

rookie31st wrote: 14 Jun 2022 14:00 Poor choice for default assignments, but you can actually re-assign interaction from 'E' to left-mouse-button and make it much easier to get things done
Ah, that's almost enough to make me want to give it another shot. Almost :lol:

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”