Hi-End Configuration Optimization

Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Hi-End Configuration Optimization

#771 Post by Madkine » 13 Mar 2022 11:36

@viclou It's entirely dependent on the mods you use. It needs to be just larger than the largest single texture size included in your mods. Basically if there's an error in your log showing it can't load a texture due to size, you make that setting slightly higher than that texture. For a base setting, 40 is a good starting point.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
room217au

#772 Post by room217au » 13 Mar 2022 15:18

the largest resource .. could be a PMG, coule be a texture. More often than not, it's a model.

Note: It's recommended that you set the max resource size to slightly larger than the resource that's causing log warnings.
Refer to page one of this discussion where it's explained how the two parameters interact and are calculated. Maximum values are not always best.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
rftxh

#773 Post by rftxh » 14 Aug 2022 07:38

Hi/ I have lagging in the city on ATS
My PC's spec: Ryzen 5 2600 (not X) A320 motherboard, RX580 8gb (driver update from april), 16gb ram and game install on hdd with 7200rpm's. Monitor with resolution 1440x900
Graphics settings: 400 scaling without ssao and medium mirror distance. Buffer and resource set on max in shortcut settings

(sorry for mistakes? but my english is terrible)
plykkegaard

#774 Post by plykkegaard » 14 Aug 2022 11:28

Move data to an SSD drive if possible

THe RTX 580 is old but when I had the GTX 970 it did fine (it is an comparable GPU)
Maybe check your override if they are adequate (too high) for your HW configuration?

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
rftxh

#775 Post by rftxh » 16 Aug 2022 19:08

plykkegaard wrote: 14 Aug 2022 11:28 Move data to an SSD drive if possible

THe RTX 580 is old but when I had the GTX 970 it did fine (it is an comparable GPU)
Maybe check your override if they are adequate (too high) for your HW configuration?
but for the rest for some reason everything works fine on this configuration
Tomsun

#776 Post by Tomsun » 18 Aug 2022 18:48

rftxh wrote: 14 Aug 2022 07:38 Hi/ I have lagging in the city on ATS
My PC's spec: Ryzen 5 2600 (not X) A320 motherboard, RX580 8gb (driver update from april), 16gb ram and game install on hdd with 7200rpm's. Monitor with resolution 1440x900
Graphics settings: 400 scaling without ssao and medium mirror distance. Buffer and resource set on max in shortcut settings

Lagging in cities and 400% scaling is no surprise for me. Even on my system (3900x, X570) 1080ti, 32 GB Ram and pure NVME SSD solution (distributed on different physical (not only logical) drives in 3440*1440 i have massive lower frames if i turn scaling to 400% (it means as i understand calculating 16 times on graphics information). I encountered much better results (in terms of diveability to not say playability) choosing a scaling 100% and having much more stable frames even in cities and complex areas.

i support plykkegards proposal to use an SSD (i would propose to use at least 2 SSDs one for the system and one for the game, so that writings/readings to the system disk not interfere with writings/readings to temporary gaming file, not batteling for the same bandwidth).

there are several hints to get most out of the used GPU (i used a RX470/4GB for years with a FX8320). You won't recognize the fallback to 100% scaling. If you have this problem you have the "wrong" Hardware, then you need the CPU with the highest possible Singlecore Performance (if i'm right actually the i9-12900KS combined with the fastest possible GPU 3090ti), at a medium resolution and fixed FPS at about 60 FPS, so mthat even under worst conditions the frames don't drop below. I you don't limit the frames (assuming your screen is able unlimited frames) you would also encounter massive drops in different sceneries but just on a higher level.
Some newbie driver

#777 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Aug 2022 20:53

Tomsun wrote: 18 Aug 2022 18:48 if i turn scaling to 400% (it means as i understand calculating 16 times on graphics information).
Nope, the scaling value is about total render surface, not regarding the size of the sides of the render square. So, 400% scaling is rendering at 4 times the final output resolution. With a FullHD monitor, 400% scaling means an internal render at 4K (at 3840 x 2160 to be exact)

Also the growing on that internal render surface isn't linear. Up to 200% render the resolution grows only in one direction (horizontally, if I recall right). So at 200% scaling, the render is stretched like to have 2 monitors side by side and then compressed again; thus applying thee AA effect on vertical lines mostly. From 200% up to 400% scaling, the render zone grows on the opposite direction, applying its effect mostly on horizontal lines.

Problems with scaling start when the base resolution is high (1440p starts to be hard) or specially if combined with SSAO (because the resources of this technique grow non-linearly with the resolution).

Whatever, SCS has not stopped improving detail on the 3D scene but still work essentially in the old architecture; so they are squeezing till the limit that old code. The 1 core limitation is taking a higher toll every day it passes. A new rendering code is known to be in the workings from quite a time. Hopefully it could be one of the big things coming for the 10th anniversary. We can't do so much but to wait and see.

Regards
Tomsun

#778 Post by Tomsun » 19 Aug 2022 14:00

Some newbie driver wrote: 18 Aug 2022 20:53
Tomsun wrote: 18 Aug 2022 18:48 if i turn scaling to 400% (it means as i understand calculating 16 times on graphics information).
Nope, the scaling value is about total render surface, not regarding the size of the sides of the render square. So, 400% scaling is rendering at 4 times the final output resolution. With a FullHD monitor, 400% scaling means an internal render at 4K (at 3840 x 2160 to be exact)

Also the growing on that internal render surface isn't linear. Up to 200% render the resolution grows only in one direction (horizontally, if I recall right). So at 200% scaling, the render is stretched like to have 2 monitors side by side and then compressed again; thus applying thee AA effect on vertical lines mostly. From 200% up to 400% scaling, the render zone grows on the opposite direction, applying its effect mostly on horizontal lines.

Problems with scaling start when the base resolution is high (1440p starts to be hard) or specially if combined with SSAO (because the resources of this technique grow non-linearly with the resolution).

Whatever, SCS has not stopped improving detail on the 3D scene but still work essentially in the old architecture; so they are squeezing till the limit that old code. The 1 core limitation is taking a higher toll every day it passes. A new rendering code is known to be in the workings from quite a time. Hopefully it could be one of the big things coming for the 10th anniversary. We can't do so much but to wait and see.

Regards
Thanks for clarification, nevertheless my recommendations ,if you are not in the lucky situation that you have enough performance EVERYWHERE stay at 100% scaling, you will hardly notice any difference if turning scaling higher than that, you will only notice noise, heat and an enormous electric bill if turning on 400%, and thats the worst a lot more frame drops due to more and more complex scenaries, which annoys the most IMHO, instead of a constant framerate. i would find my best setting at a complex scene like the new austrian cities, and would lock the frame limiter to that level, so most of the time your GPU would run cool and quiet, and only in that complex scenes it would go to the max without dropping of fps.
RenegadeRaffa

High end rig, but still failing to get performance with NPI tweaks.

#779 Post by RenegadeRaffa » 20 Aug 2022 18:30

Hi,

Hopefully someone or mulitple people could help me out on this one.

So i've got a pretty high end rig but am still struggling to get constant smooth gameplay. Now i know here and there there's stutters, which is completely fine. But i'm here having lag spikes in mostly every area, despite having an I7-10700K and RTX3060, as well as 16gb of RAM. On top of the specs, i'd like to let you know that i am also using Roex NPI, to smoothen up the gameplay and cpu/gpu load. I'm also not using that many mods that could (at least that's what i think, but what do i know..) conflict gameplay stuttering issues.

What are some options/steps i could try to make my gameplay more enjoyable/less laggy? :)

Here's my config.cfg: https://pastebin.com/sbQWqwdx
Here is a screenshot with my Roex NPI settings: https://pasteboard.co/0tPTcSwajcy5.png

In case anything else is needed, just let me know.
rftxh

#780 Post by rftxh » 21 Aug 2022 08:16

Tomsun wrote: 18 Aug 2022 18:48
rftxh wrote: 14 Aug 2022 07:38 Hi/ I have lagging in the city on ATS

Lagging in cities and 400% scaling is no surprise for me. Even on my system (3900x, X570) 1080ti, 32 GB Ram and pure NVME SSD solution (distributed on different physical (not only logical) drives in 3440*1440 i have massive lower frames if i turn scaling to 400% (it means as i understand calculating 16 times on graphics information). I encountered much better results (in terms of diveability to not say playability) choosing a scaling 100% and having much more stable frames even in cities and complex areas.

i support plykkegards proposal to use an SSD (i would propose to use at least 2 SSDs one for the system and one for the game, so that writings/readings to the system disk not interfere with writings/readings to temporary gaming file, not batteling for the same bandwidth).

there are several hints to get most out of the used GPU (i used a RX470/4GB for years with a FX8320). You won't recognize the fallback to 100% scaling. If you have this problem you have the "wrong" Hardware, then you need the CPU with the highest possible Singlecore Performance (if i'm right actually the i9-12900KS combined with the fastest possible GPU 3090ti), at a medium resolution and fixed FPS at about 60 FPS, so mthat even under worst conditions the frames don't drop below. I you don't limit the frames (assuming your screen is able unlimited frames) you would also encounter massive drops in different sceneries but just on a higher level.
U dont belive but, when i downshiftin graphic setting/ I have more and more laggs. Now i'm on 150 scale...
Im redownload game, cheking files on steam, but i dont have any results

Return to “General discussion about the game”