Oklahoma pre-research tips

Kraake
SCS Software

Oklahoma pre-research tips

#1 Post by Kraake » 12 Nov 2018 18:23

Hello everybody!

As we're doing some pre-research for ATS, we'd like to know your opinion on some of the things which we shouldn't miss in the game in our future planned DLCs - in this case for the OKLAHOMA state.

Unfortunately it can be very easy to miss some key spots when planning a future road network. We can judge only from what we read or see, while those who live there, have driven there or visited there, can point us towards some famous truck stops, interesting landmark, points of interest etc.

So we'd appreciate any tips which could be helpful for us and that could easily work with in-game mechanics. Try to keep in mind that we're interested in places connected with trucks and roads. So if you have some tips, we'd be grateful. Don't be shy to add photos / videos of said locations (in better quality, so our graphics can use them as pattern).

:arrow: For example THIS was a really great job.

In case you would like to also help us with other states check the list bellow:

COLORADO | IDAHO | MONTANA | TEXAS | UTAH | WASHINGTON | WYOMING

Please be aware, that states listed here mean absolutely no promise of what's the next DLC or what states will come first. Also we can't guarantee that we'll use the research you give us - it depends on many aspects (which can't be all written here).

:arrow: General discussion about pre-researches is HERE.

Cheers!
Last edited by Kraake on 14 Nov 2018 09:55, edited 2 times in total.
bobgrey1997

Re: Oklahoma pre-research tips

#2 Post by bobgrey1997 » 13 Nov 2018 04:31

I might not be of much help here, as I don't really know any specifics of Oklahoma; just that it is almost identical to Arkansas in many ways, especially in the eastern parts where it gets up into the forested Ozark Mountains.
One thing I feel I should share here:
This is how their stoplights tend to look:
[ external image ]

Honestly, this is how almost every state does them (including Oregon and Washington). It would be quite nice to see these rather than those California-styled poles everywhere.

Let me know when the Arkansas pre-research tips thread starts. I'll be all over that one! :D
Also, if you need help understanding how those 5-panel lights work, let me know! It seems to confuse a lot of people who may not be used to them.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 13 Nov 2018 10:55

bobgrey1997 wrote: 13 Nov 2018 04:31 Also, if you need help understanding how those 5-panel lights work, let me know! It seems to confuse a lot of people who may not be used to them.
Are you talking about the doghouse traffic signals? https://www.google.com/search?q=Doghous ... 20&bih=529 I would love to have doghouse signals in ATS!
bobgrey1997

#4 Post by bobgrey1997 » 13 Nov 2018 17:18

Yes.
I know it confuses many people from Europe, and I have a feeling that confusion is the only reason we don't have them in the game yet.
supersobes
Global moderator

#5 Post by supersobes » 13 Nov 2018 21:24

This signal give left turning traffic a left arrow in advance to allow them to turn through the intersection just like the ones in ATS. Then, the green arrow will then to a yellow arrow, then the light will turn red. Then the green circle appears on the right half of the signal. This allows traffic going straight ahead to proceed through the intersection, AND it allows left turning traffic to proceed AFTER yielding to oncoming traffic. The only time that there would be a green arrow and a green circle at the same time (see image below) is if both the cross street(s) and oncoming traffic that is turning left, turning right, and going straight ahead has a red light. Doghouse signals are also sometimes used for right turns to indicate when you CAN turn right on red, but you DO NOT have to stop first. This only happens when traffic on the cross street has a green left arrow in both directions.

This sign is also mounted on the traffic signal pole next to the signal.
[ external image ]

Some states have also started using the flashing yellow arrow signal in place of the doghouse signals. It serves the same function, except the green circle is replaced by a flashing yellow arrow.

[ external image ]

Also, I know that this is in the Oklahoma research section, but these signals are not specific to Oklahoma!! They are used in many states!!
bobgrey1997

#6 Post by bobgrey1997 » 13 Nov 2018 23:19

There are also 5-panel vertical lights:
Bottom; Green arrow; turn left
Bottom middle; yellow arrow; turn left but prepare to yield or stop
Middle; green light; turn left only after yield to oncoming traffic
Top middle; yellow; turn left only after yield to oncoming traffic but prepare to stop
Top; red light; stop

The order of this is as follows:
1: Straight-through lanes have red light on both sides of junction. Left turn lanes have green arrow on both sides.
2: Left turn lanes have yellow arrow on both sides.
3: on of two things happen, depending on traffic flow:
3a: Left turn lanes have red light. Cross road gets green or green arrow.
3b: Left turn lanes and straight-through lanes have green light on both sides.
4: Left turn lanes and straight-through lanes yellow light on both sides.
5: Left turn lanes and straight-through lanes have red on both sides.
Process repeats for cross road.

Some junctions also have a cycle where one side gets green lights on all lanes and the left turn lane also gets a green arrow. These kinds of junctions often only have one side going at a time.
Also, many are set up so that all lanes on one side have green light and the left lane has arrow as well, but then the arrow turns yellow, then goes away, leaving the green lights. When this happens, it is the same 3b above for the rest of the cycle.
flight50

#7 Post by flight50 » 07 Dec 2018 23:35

2019 Rand McNally Oklahoma Restrictions

[ external image ]
index

#8 Post by index » 02 Jan 2019 05:52

Here are some of Oklahoma's notable bridges:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5403773 ... 312!8i6656

This is a 38 span truss bridge over the Canadian river, on US 281.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9184336 ... 328!8i1664

Here is the Wanette-Byars bridge on Highway 102. It has the longest truss span in the state and is only one lane wide.

Other info:

The Oklahoma Panhandle is more similar to a semi-desert high plains climate than the rest of Oklahoma, which is temperate. The two most major towns in it are Guymon and Boise City.
In the east, Oklahoma is somewhat mountainous, as it's home to the Ozark and Ouachita mountains, which are around 2,500 feet tall at their highest. Western Oklahoma is home to a lot of fracking operations which could be of use in the game.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9041751 ... 328!8i1664

The very edge of the Oklahoma Panhandle near the NM border is an area known as Black Mesa, it's home to some small-in-height desert plateau formations.
Three strips of beacon on my toasted head
Two over easy on a roll and I'm fed
Unknown#

#9 Post by Unknown# » 11 Feb 2019 16:43

For anyone that knows what the police cars of Oklahoma City and Tulsa, as well as state patrol, looks like, good luck! I've tried, but it failed miserably.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”