Utah Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Utah Discussion Thread

#2921 Post by flight50 » 01 Mar 2022 04:28

^Why limit your suggestions to just 1-2 employees. Post it publicly. More devs can read things on here vs the 1-2 you may email. Unless you have a close relationship with a dev, email may not get you very far as a user that does not frequent this forum. No offense, but they can see your email as spam as a ton of people probably load up there emails monthly.

I'm here quite frequently and even I don't bother emailing. You can bring something to a devs attention by using the mention feature. Chances are higher that any dev sees a post made at that point. They can even reply to that and post it publicly so that everyone knows the answer.
flight50

#2922 Post by flight50 » 03 Mar 2022 16:52

Anyone notice the Austria blog today? Anyone besides me eyeballing the mountains behind the city? That is how South of I-80 in Salt Lake City should look. North of I-80 in SLC is actually legit. But the Alps is better and at least closer to SLC vs what we have. A better model exist now for sure. Export that and replace the SLC mountains. That would bring sooo much gratification for SLC.

Pic 8 is perfect. The far left is just like the mountains North of I-80 while the bulk of pic 8 mountains is like South of I-80. This scene is what SLC should look like.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/i ... 54K1=s1920
Freeze338

#2923 Post by Freeze338 » 03 Mar 2022 19:43

flight50 wrote: 03 Mar 2022 16:52 Anyone notice the Austria blog today? Anyone besides me eyeballing the mountains behind the city? That is how South of I-80 in Salt Lake City should look. North of I-80 in SLC is actually legit. But the Alps is better and at least closer to SLC vs what we have. A better model exist now for sure. Export that and replace the SLC mountains. That would bring sooo much gratification for SLC.

Pic 8 is perfect. The far left is just like the mountains North of I-80 while the bulk of pic 8 mountains is like South of I-80. This scene is what SLC should look like.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/i ... 54K1=s1920
I was logged in for one purpose today and it's writing the same things that you have written.

So height of the mountains behind Insbrruck and Salt Lake City is pretty much same. All SCS have to do is implement same thing for SLC.
axl135

#2924 Post by axl135 » 03 Mar 2022 19:55

Those mountains are hard to miss in the Austria rework blogs. I agree they now have the ability to make the mountains a lot more lifelike than before. I see no reason to leave the mountain range near SLC as it currently is, which is a step back compared to the mountains in Washington, even though that state arrived before Utah did.
rbsanford

#2925 Post by rbsanford » 03 Mar 2022 21:41

These really are impressive mountains, but they're not the same as the Wasatches immediately east of SLC. They're definitely not the same height, just by eyeballing it.

Doing the math and research, though: Innsbruck has an elevation of 1883 ft., and what is, as far as I can tell, the general elevation of the backdrop range (going by Hafelekar) is 7657.5 ft., so those mountains stand about 5774.5 ft. above the city. Salt Lake City has an elevation of 4226, and the summits of that city's backdrop mountains appear comparable in elevation to those of Innsbruck, so the height of those mountains over the city are about 2400 feet less. The Alps at Innsbruck are also a good wall of mountains, while the Wasatches at SLC have more gradual slopes.

The Wasatches could stand to be more rugged and a bit taller, but I think that, again, people are overestimating how high those mountains really are.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#2926 Post by flight50 » 03 Mar 2022 23:10

Its not about height Sir. We are speaking of appearance. Your being technical with the numbers. I have no idea what the numbers are but myself and many others are not impressed with the visuals of SLC mountains.

SCS has proven in both games that they are capable of doing much better. SLC is not a good example of SCS's best efforts when it comes to mountains.
Bedavd

#2927 Post by Bedavd » 03 Mar 2022 23:19

I agree the Wasatches behind downtown SLC look more like slight, rolling hills. Could absolutely stand for a touch up with more recent mountain-making skills.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
supersobes
Global moderator

#2928 Post by supersobes » 04 Mar 2022 02:01

Comparing real life to in-game, I think part of the problem with the mountains in Salt Lake City is how close they are to the player. I know that the draw distance and map scale limits how far they can be, but if they make them taller, then they also should be pushed back further. I think making them taller without changing the distance is going to look really weird.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
flight50

#2929 Post by flight50 » 04 Mar 2022 03:27

That is why I keep saying South of I-80...South of I-80..South of I-80. Downtown SLC is North of I-80. SLC is the proper. SLC is more than just down town. But if you guys think the mountains on the far right in the pic below is rolling vs North of I-80, sorry, but I'll have to disagree all day long. Maybe I need new eyes. The highlighted blue is more imposing than what is highlighted in red. Everyone keeps focusing on downtown vs interstate I-80 that I always reference. I-80 is the dividing point...the separation. That's what I keep talking about. The mountains on the far right looks a lot more like pic 8 from the Austria blog. The exact way I described it is North of I-80 is fine. But South of I-80 is not so great. The key word is I-80...not downtown SLC. Here is the reference I'm using. You guys keep picking a totally different reference. What you guys keep referring to is not what I'm looking at. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7184285 ... 8192?hl=en

With that said, SCS can still do better than the rolling hills North of I-80. Whoever did SLC, didn't try too hard imho. There are mountains in the dlc that look great. But the ones around SLC, not so great. SLC should have been the highlight city for Utah and it isn't. The good thing....SCS could actually fix it.....if they wanted to. Its really only the mountain models that bring SLC down. I will say that the rolling hills does makes the entire city look cartoonist. The detail of the city looks lower with those mountains behind the city. Both sides of I-80 can be improved based on the work we've seen SCS do lately. Get one of the better mappers to redo it when they have time.

[ external image ]

Austria pic 8

[ external image ]

Current ATS

[ external image ]
Last edited by flight50 on 04 Mar 2022 11:35, edited 3 times in total.
angrybirdseller

#2930 Post by angrybirdseller » 04 Mar 2022 07:31

I grew up in Utah the mountains are imposing especially driving along I-15 the mountain in Austria look more realistic. The mountains from Scipio to Tremonton could be redone sometime in couple years when there time to do so give the feel of mountain range.

Cloudy day the mountains are obstructed from view. Snowy day, may not see mountains at all.

Return to “General discussion about the game”