Iberia Discussion

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Iberia Discussion

#6251 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 13 Nov 2021 06:23

Honestly I'd rather seen that not Iberia got three extra roads, but instead the basemap gets its much needed overhaul; it takes way too much time... Next year we'll have HoR, but the basemap like Benelux and the UK, but also Going East, still looks very, very ugly. It's nice that Iberia get some extra attention, but why now? Why not wait untill the overhaul of the basemap has finished?
IvanKuz

#6252 Post by IvanKuz » 13 Nov 2021 08:27

Because if you have a project that is ~90% complete, it is often better to just put some extra work in and bring it to completion and finally clear it off your list, instead of waiting until you complete a bunch of other projects. Something something sunken cost.

Also, Iberia is technically the worst rated ETS2 map DLC on Steam (the only ETS2 one to get its reviews rating below 80%, or at least this was the case a few months ago, it was "only" at 78%), with the most common criticism being that the are not enogh small roads. So adding Baja and Soria is a good way for SCS to tell their customers "we hear you".
Vinnie Terranova

#6253 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 13 Nov 2021 09:21

Did SCS always had in mind to include those three roads in the Iberia DLC before the release date? Or is SCS adding those roads because of the criticism? Because in the New Iberian Roads-blog SCS wrote:
SCS wrote:Based on feedback from our community since its launch, our map team thought it'd be good to revisit the map expansion and bring some new additional content.
So, those three new roads are not meant to complete a 90% Iberia; those three roads are added on top of a 100% complete Iberia.
IvanKuz

#6254 Post by IvanKuz » 13 Nov 2021 09:49

I can't speak about the road to Beja (why do I keep spelling it as Baja?), but the road through Soria clearly must have been in the works before Iberia was released, because you could find XXXX barriers on an inaccessible roundabout on a pre-existing portion of this road which was already blocked off by XXXX barriers.

And there are still more unfinished roads like these, so we are still waiting on a 100% complete Iberia ;)
plykkegaard

#6255 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Nov 2021 10:15

Nothing is ever 100% complete, always room for improvement

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Vinnie Terranova

#6256 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 13 Nov 2021 10:29

Yeah, I know there is always room for improvement. The point is that I think that the basemap has more room for improvement than Iberia. Iberia is good enough, even without those three new roads. And Iberia will be better with those three new roads. Iberia may have the lowest review ratings on Steam, but if you just give a look at Iberia, it really is a very beautiful map.
But if you compare the looks of Iberia with the looks of the basemap, then it's very obvious that it's more important to overhaul the basemap than to make Iberia slightly better than it is now.
plykkegaard

#6257 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Nov 2021 11:33

Yeah I mostly play ATS due to this

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
IvanKuz

#6258 Post by IvanKuz » 13 Nov 2021 11:50

plykkegaard wrote: 13 Nov 2021 10:15Nothing is ever 100% complete, always room for improvement
True. But I mean completeness relative to what was, evidently, originally planned.
Vinnie Terranova wrote: 13 Nov 2021 10:29But if you compare the looks of Iberia with the looks of the basemap, then it's very obvious that it's more important to overhaul the basemap than to make Iberia slightly better than it is now.
Also true. But this is a similar logic to "they should stop releasing new map DLCs until the base map is rebuilt". It's the same song again: everyone already paid for the base map (and rated it 97%). Meanwhile, Iberia is the latest map DLC for this game, and the last one for this year. The more copies they sell, the better for this year's bottom line. So any good news, any positive hype about Iberia helps.

And it's not like the base map is being forgotten. We know they are working on Austria. And we just got the best city rework since Milan from 4 years go. With brand-new prefabs, no less. With brand-new prefabs that seem like they are designed for double trailers! Germany rework phase 4 anyone?
Shiva

#6259 Post by Shiva » 13 Nov 2021 12:05

Quite possible that SCS has separate teams for different areas.
N-435, that is a complete surprise for me.
And there still are roads that are, well, as if SCS mappers made the interchanges and intersections for future use.
IP-8/N-433, between A2 Portugal and A-66 Spain, that road was 1 of those and now it is in, in 1.43 Beta.
N-234 with Soria, that road was waiting too. And there is more.

Maybe someday we can get https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.8727 ... m2!4m1!3e0 too?
After N-435 reaches Badajoz?
N-433 to A-49, https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.9284 ... m2!4m1!3e0 would in theory be possible, but ingame they are quite close to each other. Atleast it looks like that for me.

If someday N-432 pops ingame, then 1 of these could be possible https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.2785 ... m2!4m1!3e0
As a connection between N-432 and N-430.

Iberia still has a lot of possibilities.

Wait, wasn't most of Germany already reworked?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
IvanKuz

#6260 Post by IvanKuz » 13 Nov 2021 12:29

Shiva wrote: 13 Nov 2021 12:05Quite possible that SCS has separate teams for different areas.
Also, this. As far as I know, Austria is being done by the main dedicated rework team, Lyon was mainly Mandelsoft's project, and Iberian roads were being done by new recruits as part of their training.
Shiva wrote: 13 Nov 2021 12:05Wait, wasn't most of Germany already reworked?
The Autobahns were reworked completely. But cities and rural roads, for the most part, basically got little more than new textures. In an interview earlier this year Pavel said something along the lines of "we reworked Germany, but didn't really redo its cities, so they sort of remain there as an internal debt for us", which could be taken to mean that they are still planning to go back and properly redo cities in the future.

Notice how long the docking spaces are in the new Lyon prefabs. It's almost as if they were designed with a country that allows double trailers (such as Germany) in mind ;)

Return to “General discussion about the game”