African Truck Simulator

Ch_R0me

Re: African Truck Simulator

#41 Post by Ch_R0me » 17 Aug 2022 15:38

After reading this post - I would expect a Snow/MudRunner combined with ETS with a huge dose of contrive 😂 (was reading some article about truck driving in Botswana).
Personal Truck Wishlist:

ETS2: Ford F-Max or SISU Polar or M-B Actros 5 (2019);
ATS: KW W990 or Intl' HX 520/620 or WS 4900.
stefan_mshefi

#42 Post by stefan_mshefi » 26 Nov 2022 05:30

As a South African player of Ets2, I would love a South African map. I've come across at least 2 WIP map mods.

The research on Africa has been great, but sorely lacking in local details.

I believe that starting in South Africa is a no-brainer. We have the largest deep water ports in Africa, and just about all major imports and exports flow through here. Including to countries such as Congo DRC, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Malawi. Then there's the East African Trade Community, which primarily uses Tanzanian and Kenyan ports. But I digress.
South Africa's primary industries are agriculture (sugar cane and timber in the East, cereals and livestock through the central free state and Southern Western Cape, fruit and wine in the Western Cape, and mixed production throughout the country (dairy in KwaZulu Natal and Eastern Cape province, vegetables etc).
Then there's the mining that dominates the North West, Gauteng and Limpopo provinces - mainly platinum group metals, chrome, etc, as well as coal. Here we use interlink side tippers to ship the ore from inland mines to the ports of Durban and Richards Bay.

As far as imports go, mostly containerised goods, which can be shipped to Gauteng, where most manufacturing takes place. I'm also forgetting the automotive industries. Volkswagen, Ford, Mercedes Benz, MAN, BMW and many others have manufacturing facilities here, where we build vehicles both for the domestic South African Market as well as the export market (both Africa and the rest of the world).

You'd also need to think of the biggest hauliers:
Reinhardt - side tippers
Izusa - side tippers
Bakers - FMCG, high volume low weight. Largest privately owned transport company in SA.
Manline - FMCG, petroleum products
Imperial logistics (many subsidiaries hauling just about anything)
Super Group - FMCG, timber, sugar cane
Value Group
Then there's all the warehouses for retailers, including grocers such as Spar, Pick n Pay/ Boxer, Checkers, all of which need refrigerated goods.

Probably the biggest aspect of Southern African transport is the interlink trailer (B-double). This permits a GCM of around 57 tons, with real payload usually of around 33 tons. And they're legal throughout South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia. A Southern Africa map would fall flat without the N3 and N1 highways in South Africa.

Border crossings would need to be sped up though!

Just some thoughts and reflections. Likely never to happen, but perhaps I can find some time to get involved in these SA Map WIPs...
Brainy1978

#43 Post by Brainy1978 » 11 Jul 2023 06:06

I really have to agree with Stefan on this.
I'm also from the RSA, and while saying congrats on your research being done very well, the missed details would sourly be a sad case. Also apart from our country's businesses, factories and transport companies structure, it would be an great advantage to capture the nature, style, culture and sceneries of the country in layout, look, feel and essence. Our country is like none other in every sense of the word. From our weather conditions in every province to the small passages through natural habitats and the busy roads of the cities, the N1 (Pretoria to Cape Town), N4, N3, N12, N2, M14 and of course the old smaller roads carrying heavy loads every day.

The point is at the end of the day this would be an awesome idea especially for us who are from South Africa for a map like this to come to the world of trucks. And I do believe we will always be here to provide more detailed info when ever needed if something like this comes to life in the future.

Fun Tip: Would love to see the developers program the ai like real South African traffic. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: Doin' It.... The Smurfy Way! :mrgreen:

Return to “Public research”