Euro Truck Simulator 3 concept map

bobgrey1997

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 3 concept map

#21 Post by bobgrey1997 » 21 Jan 2020 20:57

Rgarding the folowing:
Some newbie driver wrote: 16 Jan 2020 15:03It would not be until 1.38 that we could start to see real DX11 performance...
His point was that even after 1.38, OpenGL users will still not see performance benefits, but rather the game will perform even worse than it currently does.
I don't use OpenGL, so I am not sure if this is really the case. However, based on my experience with OpenGL in numerous games, it is probably true. OpenGL is rather awful in my opinion.
xXCARL1992Xx

#22 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 21 Jan 2020 21:01

OpenGL is just to old of an API like DX9, the used version in the game is OGL3.3 iirc and this is from 2010, SCS need to replace it with Vulkan like they did DX9 with DX11, if they can do this they can also use a wrapper to translate Vulkan to Apples Metal API and the game should run again
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#23 Post by Some newbie driver » 21 Jan 2020 21:28

bobgrey1997 wrote: 21 Jan 2020 20:57 His point was that even after 1.38, OpenGL users will still not see performance benefits, but rather the game will perform even worse than it currently does.
His point was the same as like in the other dozens of threads he posted the same: "Mac version now performs worse". Fact is that, repeating that whether it fits or not the topic, doesn't solve anything neither adds nothing relevant about what I was talking (he quoted me, so, one expects he's going to say something relevant regarding what I said)

Also, as xXCARL1992Xx stated, OpenGL is a very old API like DX9 is and (historically) without the muscle of a big company behind, like DX has. No wonder a lot of OpenGL games perform worse than DX counterparts. This game is old and it comes from the base of an even older game. Nobody can't expect to get rid of all this ballast just snapping two fingers. DX9 was the words troublemaker, now is gone. Nothing avoids SCS to keep developing the things I said I expect they are doing AND at the same time try to fix the OpenGL recent problems. So, all his message was a pointless rant out of context, period.

Regards
krmarci

#24 Post by krmarci » 26 Mar 2020 14:16

I'm finally finished with the map! Russia took a lot of time.
Brulikrax

#25 Post by Brulikrax » 05 May 2020 10:17

1. Europe is not just Germany, France and UK. I find the statements really offensive toward Eastern EU players. The devs are from our side of the globe. Think about them too...
2. ETS 3 will make us upgrade our hardware.
3. ETS 3 will have the ETS 2 inside and more, otherwise we will stick to ETS 2. It's that simple.
4. The map size will need to be at least 2x bigger (collaboration with the moding comunity is required - ProMods, etc.).
krmarci

#26 Post by krmarci » 05 May 2020 10:38

Brulikrax wrote: 05 May 2020 10:17 1. Europe is not just Germany, France and UK. I find the statements really offensive toward Eastern EU players. The devs are from our side of the globe. Think about them too...
Did anyone say that? Of course, it isn't just that, and I think the Czech Republic could be one of the first DLCs of the map, as it would be an "easily" managable, normally sized DLC, located close to larger countries such as Germany and Poland.
Brulikrax wrote: 05 May 2020 10:17 2. ETS 3 will make us upgrade our hardware.
That's true, but it is unlikely that it even starts in the next 10 years, and I don't think anyone will be playing ETS2 in 2030 on a 2010 computer.
Brulikrax wrote: 05 May 2020 10:17 3. ETS 3 will have the ETS 2 inside and more, otherwise we will stick to ETS 2. It's that simple.
Actually, that is something they would probably want to avoid. Making ETS2 a merge of GTS, UKTS and some more areas is a decision that had hard consequences (need for rebuilds) down the road. Making ETS3 a rescale of ETS2 would hurt the new game.
Sticking with ETS2: in the early years, probably yes, but as more and more countries appear in the game, extremely detailed in comparison to ETS2, more and more people would start to switch.
Brulikrax wrote: 05 May 2020 10:17 4. The map size will need to be at least 2x bigger (collaboration with the moding comunity is required - ProMods, etc.).
Actually, the change from 1:19 to 1:10 is almost 4x as the area matters, not the lengths. (It's complicated - the lengths matter, but there would be new holes to fill: twice as many roads, twice as long, 4x as much work in the same area.) SCS has never relied officially on modders to develop the game, of course, there are isolated exceptions to this (like Mandelsoft working on Germany), but the map will solely be developed by SCS (unless they change their policy, but I think that's unlikely). The role of modders is important in a sense that they keep players from "ignored" regions playing until their region is developed by SCS. This would also give ProMods a new objective: the new game would need new areas, while ETS2, already finished, couldn't be developed any further.
bobgrey1997

#27 Post by bobgrey1997 » 06 May 2020 12:49

Brulikrax wrote: 05 May 2020 10:17...(collaboration with the moding comunity is required - ProMods, etc.).
This is a bit dangerous...
Technically, using mods in official, paid content can be very illegal. Depending on the game's Terms of Use regarding user-created content (mods), such content is likely owned by the creator. If the Terms do not specify ownership of such content, it is assumed to be owned by the creator.
In order for the game developers to be able to freely use mod content in their own work, they would have to specify ownership of such content to themselves. This can lead to various legal issues, so it is quite rare.

That said, collaboration with the mod authors is an easy work around. This can, however, be quite expensive. While the developers have to pay their employees by the hour to make the game's content, in order to use mod content, they would generally have to either buy the rights to the mod, pay the mod author a certain percentage of profits from the content, or hire the mod author as an employee.

It's generally MUCH easier and cheaper to just make their own content independent of the modding community.
terag51

#28 Post by terag51 » 14 May 2020 14:04

I honestly cannot understand why people think ETS3 will every happen in the foreseeable future. It is a cool concept I guess, but SCS is nowhere near done with ETS2. They still got many European territories to cover, plus base game, Going East, and Scandinavian countries to rebuild. When this is done - Vive la France may be considered outdated! We don’t know! SCS may want to touch up Germany again and get rid of ALL old assets and add new cities. Plus, ATS exists too! If SCS started ETS3 on a more real scale, it would take FOREVER to build Europe. It’s very ambitious but is it realistic — no, not really. Plus, maybe SCS might want to start with a truck simulator in another continent with ETS2 is “done”. That would be cooler in my opinion.
Reis_6

#29 Post by Reis_6 » 14 May 2020 14:45

If SCS is going to launch an ETS3, it will have to come with all current DLC's as a ''base map'' and market items already included...

PS: it would be good for SCS to join ATS and ETS2 in a single launcher and you can choose where to play, in America or Europe.
krmarci

#30 Post by krmarci » 14 May 2020 15:19

terag51 wrote: 14 May 2020 14:04 I honestly cannot understand why people think ETS3 will every happen in the foreseeable future. It is a cool concept I guess, but SCS is nowhere near done with ETS2. They still got many European territories to cover, plus base game, Going East, and Scandinavian countries to rebuild. When this is done - Vive la France may be considered outdated! We don’t know! SCS may want to touch up Germany again and get rid of ALL old assets and add new cities. Plus, ATS exists too! If SCS started ETS3 on a more real scale, it would take FOREVER to build Europe. It’s very ambitious but is it realistic — no, not really. Plus, maybe SCS might want to start with a truck simulator in another continent with ETS2 is “done”. That would be cooler in my opinion.
The problem is that both ETS2 and ATS are estimated to run out of land around 2030. (Note: only calculating ATS with the U.S. It could still be expanded towards Canada and Mexico.) Yes, old DLCs will be outdated then, but maintaining a game with free updates and thus no income for a long time is not a viable business model. Their only option would be a new game, which could be Europe and/or some other region (most likely East Asia). It is also important to remember that currently, most of SCS's players is European. Leaving Europe behind in the long run might lead to them losing a lot of customers.
Yes, it would take "forever" (ca. 80 years), but that's exactly the point. It would allow them to create Europe in a really detailed and beautiful way, while giving them a sustainable business model for the next century.
Reis_6 wrote: 14 May 2020 14:45 If SCS is going to launch an ETS3, it will have to come with all current DLC's as a ''base map'' and market items already included...

PS: it would be good for SCS to join ATS and ETS2 in a single launcher and you can choose where to play, in America or Europe.
If it's at a different scale, then that would be a task that would take almost as long as making it from scratch (ca. 80 years), but the end result would look horrible, especially Germany, with cities in 2110 that were actually designed by SCS around 2010. One of the potential success factors of ETS3 could be that the current base map cities could be created with modern standards. Rescaling ETS2 would strip that away.

Return to “General discussion about the game”