Euro Truck Simulator 3 concept map

krmarci

Euro Truck Simulator 3 concept map

#1 Post by krmarci » 14 Jan 2020 19:28

The map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q0_MH ... sp=sharing

I have probably spent way more time with this than I should have.
ETS2 will not last forever. Europe will likely be completed by the end of this decade. While SCS could expand ETS2 beyond Europe, it is surrounded by sparsely populated countries with a low player base, and probably wouldn't be financially sustainable. Thus, to appease SCS's main, European player base, it is far more likely that they will create a new version of Europe: Euro Truck Simulator 3.

The concept:

Map ratio is 1:10. City density is based on the average city density of the ETS2 map (excluding RttBS).

Each country up to Bulgaria in size would be its own DLC, anything larger would either be split, or done as an XL DLC, like Iberia currently. This is also why there are a lot of ferry routes - to allow people to connect to as many countries as possible.

The game itself would contain no map (maybe a demo map?), allowing access to the map only via DLCs. This would allow players to only include countries they want (i.e. not forcing people to own the base country - likely Germany - if they want to avoid it). Maybe problematic because of marketing? Starter packs could help here?

Development could be done similarly to ATS currently, with a team working on smaller countries, released every year, while a larger team could tackle larger countries like Germany or Poland in 2-3 years. As the area of this map is ca. 4x as large as the potential size of ETS2, it could take 4x as much time as well, allowing SCS to have a steady flow of money until the end of the century.

Feel free to comment on the concept. Maybe I missed some important cities/industries/roads.
jackalnxt

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 3 concept map

#2 Post by jackalnxt » 15 Jan 2020 06:48

I'm really not sure that individual European countries as DLC would be a good idea, as it would bring several problems:
A - People will complain how greedy SCS is with their DLCs ("Stop making map DLCs and gives us X!");
B - Anything east of Germany would get ignored by the majority of people ("Stop expanding east and finish important Western Europe!");
C - This will take way too long. After completing basically the entirety of Europe, many players would likely be reluctant to move on to ETS3 with fewer countries. If enough people don't make the jump, we could be one poor-sale DLC away from cancellation.

Also, I will never give up the dream of ETS2 in 1:15.
krmarci

#3 Post by krmarci » 15 Jan 2020 11:04

@jackalnxt

A - That could be the biggest problem you mentioned. I'm not sure either how people would react. However, as SCS has been quite successful with their current business model, complaints about lack of "free" content would likely stay the minority.

B - Not necessarily. As far as we know, there are quite large player bases in Russia, Romania and Turkey, just to name a few. However, the success of e.g. Lithuania DLC (sorry to any Lithuanians) might be limited. But that's also the case for e.g. Wyoming in ATS.

C - It depends on the rate SCS can create content from 2030. On this map, Germany alone would already have more cities than the ETS2 base map. Make the whole of Central Europe, and you already have more cities than ETS2 currently has.

1:15 is the current scale of the UK, but it doesn't really feel like that. There's not much difference between 1:15 and 1:19, and it probably would feel to many people as if SCS just did a rescale of ETS2 to gain more money.
natjer3

#4 Post by natjer3 » 15 Jan 2020 15:18

jackalnxt wrote: 15 Jan 2020 06:48 I'm really not sure that individual European countries as DLC would be a good idea, as it would bring several problems:
A - People will complain how greedy SCS is with their DLCs ("Stop making map DLCs and gives us X!");
B - Anything east of Germany would get ignored by the majority of people ("Stop expanding east and finish important Western Europe!");
C - This will take way too long. After completing basically the entirety of Europe, many players would likely be reluctant to move on to ETS3 with fewer countries. If enough people don't make the jump, we could be one poor-sale DLC away from cancellation.

Also, I will never give up the dream of ETS2 in 1:15.
Honestly, after the sound and graphics updates, 2012 ETS2 and 2020 ETS2 will be very different. I think at that time, we will already be in ETS3. The updates mentioned are a huge sign that no ETS3 is on the way.
sachy

#5 Post by sachy » 15 Jan 2020 16:45

Lets consider a different way for ETS3 - base map being europe-wide highways + main cities; DLCs focusing on industry (food, steelwork, ADR, shipping...), adding variety of loads+industries+secondary roads into the whole map, making the map more and more filled. This model will also prevent sudden "jumps" of quality between old and new areas as we experience now.

Anyway, I think that there is no market place for ETS3 being it without interactivity with the environment. - the current state of art is just too good to start mapping from scratch.
krmarci

#6 Post by krmarci » 15 Jan 2020 16:50

@natjer3 ETS2 is basically at the halfway point of its lifetime. It would actually be strange if ETS3 was already on the way. Who knows, in 10 years, these graphics will probably also be outdated, and with the map completed, maybe it would be a better option to start ETS3.

@sachy Interesting concept. However, I think the base map would have the problem of being too large, even if only including major cities.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#7 Post by Mohegan13 » 15 Jan 2020 17:02

SCS own the engine so making an ETS3 vs ETS2 continual update - which is better? Any thing technical they could do with ETS3 could most likely be done as updates to ETS2.

There's certainly no plans in the foreseeable for an ETS3 last time it was posed to Pavel on a livestream. The thing is, even if an ETS3 happened I don't think the scale would likely change.

Although as SCS becomes bigger and more corporate a new game may end up being the more profitable solution, but it doesn't necessarily mean it would be Europe. There's plenty of other areas they could cover like Australia (at a larger scale). And from my view that would make the most sense rather than restarting a new European based game and lose all the trucks we have.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
bobgrey1997

#8 Post by bobgrey1997 » 15 Jan 2020 17:34

I don't see an ETS3 (or ATS2) ever happening. If SCS grows to the point of having too many people for these two games or have completed every map and contend DLC for both, they will move on to a different region like Australia or Asia in a new game. By that time, computer technology will be good and cheap enough that the average computer gamer would have a system capable of running a Global Truck Simulator which would have a base nap comprised of the entire completed ATS and ETS2 maps (like ETS utilized Scania Truck Driving and German Truck maps and ETS2 utilizing ETS' map).
The way SCS handles ETS2 and ATS, sequels will never exist according to plans. They are designed to be able to be built onto forever until there is simply no truck-accesable piece of land left to develop.
Some newbie driver

#9 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Jan 2020 18:41

A bit more than 10 years ago, Apple introduced the first really successful "smartphone". Try to think on your lives before that point and compare how have they changed up today just by the massive adoption of those kind of devices.

Anyone of us would probably win the Euro-millions easily than to nail an IT-related guess on a 10 years in the future period. But if the talk is about how I would like the game to be in the future; I'm more on continuous upgrades to the actual game than to start again at some point. For my point of view, ETS3 will come the day they move to multi-core support. Passed that point, they will be able to change and add so many awaited things to the game, that we could all consider it a new one de facto

Regards
angrybirdseller

#10 Post by angrybirdseller » 15 Jan 2020 19:54

If world can to built at 1:10 scale and sold at profit they may explore that, but very unlikely until ATS and ETS2 are built out along with Brazil and Australia. Also, scs can explore different logsitics sectors of the trucking industry or spin off to build tourism simulator to drive passenger or rv to explore the map. There potiental of future options with the platform maybe finding Jimmy Hoffa body in ATS or game play mechanics handling potato chip cargo for picky grocer . :lol:

Return to “General discussion about the game”