General AI Discussion

Tristman

Re: General AI Discussion

#201 Post by Tristman » 11 Feb 2022 11:34

I’d rather see it coming in an update this year, preferably before the next map DLC releases.
Trucker Nik

#202 Post by Trucker Nik » 11 Feb 2022 13:21

Of course, so do I, but I think that if it were to come this year, the SCS would inform about it in the Christmas stream, because it is very desirable, a lot of work needs to be done because of it, and it is a big project
LATrucker

#203 Post by LATrucker » 11 Feb 2022 14:32

In the last stream(s) I'm pretty sure there was at least more traffic. So that could mean that they're just setting the g_traffic value higher for the streams or they're already trying things out.
I hope we'll see an improvement at least till the release of Texas. It was mentioned to have more "life" when they show the first DLC pics of Texas back in the Christmas 2020 stream and a DFW or Houston area with only 4-5 cars and a few trucks wouldn't feel right.
clifflandmark

#204 Post by clifflandmark » 12 Feb 2022 17:55

Folks have written DX12 performance development related to multicore ( technical stuff I don't get )If they're right, we should expect dx12 just before real AI density and behaviour ;otherwise game could become unplayable for even high-end hardwares.

Another thing I want to draw attention, as technologic developments increases exponentially, people able and have to buy new systems. It does not make sense if SCS is trying to hold fans with potato computers in exchange of average hardware owners.Addicted fans will follow developments even if they have to compensate their hunger with technology in their economically destroyed countries.
J.Random

#205 Post by J.Random » 12 Feb 2022 19:05

lol. We shouldn't expect AI improvement _EVER_. You can't see AI behaviour in marketing bullshots, therefore it doesn't matter for their hype cycle. Personally, I abandoned all hope after Spain release.
Tristman

#206 Post by Tristman » 12 Feb 2022 19:59

LATrucker wrote: 11 Feb 2022 14:32 In the last stream(s) I'm pretty sure there was at least more traffic. So that could mean that they're just setting the g_traffic value higher for the streams or they're already trying things out.
I hope we'll see an improvement at least till the release of Texas. It was mentioned to have more "life" when they show the first DLC pics of Texas back in the Christmas 2020 stream and a DFW or Houston area with only 4-5 cars and a few trucks wouldn't feel right.
Better traffic density is nice, but what I'm really looking for is improved AI behavior. Whether there are 5 cars or 50 cars on the road doesn't really matter to me if they don't know how to interact with the player and the environment around them.
If anything, more traffic just becomes more chaotic for that exact reason. Hopefully they will rework the AI sooner than later, and then they can crank up the traffic volume as well (or even better, introduce a slider that allows you to easily adjust the traffic density).
busted85

#207 Post by busted85 » 14 Feb 2022 21:02

My issue with the traffic is the flow and its static feeling. I learned to deal with the just dumb things the traffic does like when they stop halfway through an intersection when the light turns red. But, the traffic is just slow and every vehicle drives almost the same speed. With that happening there is no movement in the flow of traffic at all. What I did was go in AI folder and give the trucks/busses more horsepower (500-550) and up the max speed. I couldn't stand pulling a heavy load like the big bulldozer and having to slow on a hill for another truck pulling a basic trailer. Then I went into the traffic_rules.ii and bumped the speed limit up by 10 for everything under 50mph. This seems to work well in towns even though it might seem a bit fast with the lights and traffic turning it balances out well. Anything above 50mph I gave a 20mph over the limit for the cars and 10mph over for trucks. This helps a ton on the interstate with traffic moving.
J.Random

#208 Post by J.Random » 15 Feb 2022 00:09

I don't think that the lack of power is the issue. AI simply doesn't use what's available. If SCS used PID for throttle control, I would say that Ki is too low. But I really doubt it; AI acceleration/braking behaviour doesn't look like it. It almost seems like traffic speed is calculated backwards, from the length of the road segment and predefined time frame (affected by collision avoidance and general decision making tick rate).
busted85

#209 Post by busted85 » 16 Feb 2022 18:01

I'm not even going to act like I know what PID or the Ki is. But I did notice a big difference in changing the horsepower for the trucks and busses in the def files.
HICHAM

#210 Post by HICHAM » 07 Mar 2022 03:25

The problem with AI isn't the density.. but the flow.. it's not so smooth.. I mean yes in real life traffic isn't perfect too. But it's usually is.. I hate it when they have right of way and stop to let me merge.. And sometimes when They do that the second I try to merger they move again lol.. also the way traffic merge in Highways.. and the behaviour when changing lanes.. especially trucks the whole tractor moves then followed by the trailer it's like they are on tracks ( I know technically they are) also traffic density doesn't change smoothly when two lane roads turn into Highways.. There are fewer traffic then suddenly lot's of traffic appear I automatically know the road is turning into Highway... I hope the AI get fixed soon.. it's the most annoying thing in this game..
English isn't my native language

Amateur Skinner.. ( feel free to criticize and give feedback)

Return to “General discussion about the game”