General AI Discussion

Fae

Re: General AI Discussion

#221 Post by Fae » 18 Apr 2022 01:09

Felk wrote: 15 Apr 2021 23:32 Man, nothing is more annoying than coming at high speed and traffic suddently stops for vehicles to enter from ramps. Most of times I just come and make a giant strike.

After graphical improvements, SCS should really focus into a more stable, reliable and realistic AI, and give tools for traffic mods to adapt better with more density.
Blame California for that. Those jarheads actually teach drivers in the right lane that they need to slow down for cars coming onto the highway. It's retarded. But then again we're talking about a state that also created a useless emissions system which bogs down trucks, and limits trucks to 55 MPH. They just LOVE congestion.

As a real world driver, I actually have to admit, the AI in this game is very realistic. Cars slamming on brakes for no reason? I deal with that every single day. I literally cannot make a single trip between states without getting brake checked by people who are apparently seeing ghosts, or colors, or whatever drug-induced hallucination they are encountering at the time. And 9 times out of 10, when I pass the aforementioned moron driver, they have a frigging PHONE in their hand. Guess that Tik Tok video needed their focus more than their bloody life.

Cars jumping in the left hand lane and acting as if they are going to do an overtake, only to pace the vehicle in the right lane and freak out, brake check, and get back into the right lane in front of you, causing you to brake check ... I see a lot of complaints about that. Guess what real world drivers have to deal with on every single drive. Yup. It's obnoxious, but it is far from a bug if you ask me. The only bug is the human psychology that causes idiots to drive like idiots.

Let's see ... other common complaints that Ai in the game is not realistic ... OH! Spastic brake checks for NO reason ... no merging, no obstacles. just random car trying to stop on the road. You absolutely would not believe just how many times I see that in real life. Had that happen to me on the way back from New York City last week. I think it was Indianapolis. Middle of the night ... no other cars or obstacles around, and this car just SLAMS on the brakes and comes to a halt. I flash my lights, they gave me the bird, and then drove off. Gee, sorry I was SO rude to the driver that almost committed suicide using my truck grill.

Cars slamming on their brakes for a yellow light. Gods I hate those in real life and I wish it were legal to push them on through the intersection. Jarheads like that are exactly why truck drivers should always be maintaining a good following distance while driving. Small towns are the absolute worst for this. And do not even get me started on the East Coast. I'm not even sure if the East Coast even KNOWS what a yellow light is. They either slam on their brakes to stop, or if the light is red they just run it anyway. Ah ... there we go ... okay, if SCS wants to upgrade AI to be more realistic in the game, have it to where when the green arrow changes to a red arrow, 20 cars still continue to turn in front of you as you sit there at a solid green light. Don't you guys just bloody HATE that in real life? LOL.

Folks are always saying they want a simulator to be more realistic. I am not even kidding when I say that the AI in this game is pretty much the most realistic aspect of truck simulator. I can see the ultimate job interview now:

"Faelandaea, are you comfortable driving in metro areas or areas with very high traffic?"

"Sir, I play American Truck Simulator, without a no-damage mod, and still manage to get from point A to point B without getting scathed."

"You are hired. When can you start?"

Actually, all joking aside, I really do believe anyone who plays this game and is a parent should have their kids play it well before they get to a point of getting their driver license in real life. If someone learning to drive can become a great defensive driver in ATS or ETS2, then they'll probably be able to react rather well out there in the real world. I'm not being sarcastic, either. I'm being serious. It's crazy just how much I am on the road, and I watch morons do what morons do out there, and I am thinking to myself, "SCS!!!! FIX THIS!!!! Oh ... wait ... I'm not in the game at the moment ... "

Just my observations on the AI traffic in ATS and ETS2 from a driver's perspective. Stay safe out there, everyone.
Faelandaea Dravin
OTR Truck Driver
Faelandaea's Trucking Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/c/FaelandaeaDravin
DISCORD: https://discord.gg/PEm7M9HwYP
[ external image ]
Polarlicht

#222 Post by Polarlicht » 18 Apr 2022 08:31

supersobes wrote: 17 Apr 2022 15:05 How do you know that's a civilian car and not an unmarked police car?
It has alloy wheels, different trim and they sold them like that. Yes thats not really a reason, but for ingame consistency i guess.
Even the Taxi version ingame says Police Interceptor.
Ford Explorer and Taurus, Dodge Charger, Chevy Impala and Caprice (civil and police) have no police badge at all
------------------
Also RIP
https://igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=249561
hangman005

#223 Post by hangman005 » 18 Apr 2022 08:42

Is it just me or has the AI behavior gotten worse over the last few micro updates.
Trucker Nik

#224 Post by Trucker Nik » 18 Apr 2022 14:12

I didn't notice anything, neither improvement nor deterioration
dkasper00

#225 Post by dkasper00 » 09 May 2022 17:23

Some of the AI needs a full on redo, but some of it does add to the immersion.
I'm passionate about Mack Trucks, grew up around them as a kid.
Vinnie Terranova

#226 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 09 May 2022 18:35

@dkasper00 are you talking about AI vehicles or AI...? Because those are two different things.
dkasper00

#227 Post by dkasper00 » 09 May 2022 19:34

AI.
I'm passionate about Mack Trucks, grew up around them as a kid.
Trucker Nik

#228 Post by Trucker Nik » 17 May 2022 15:26

Today I had 1719 miles of transport and about 10 collisions with AI, it would really be time to completely rework the AI, (yesterday it was late) because what AI does is not possible, it should be noted that the currently programmed AI is almost 10 years old
supersobes
Global moderator

#229 Post by supersobes » 17 May 2022 15:39

The AI traffic in ATS is not perfect by any means. A lot can be improved on. But if you're having that many crashes with the AI traffic that often, I think that might be a driver skill issue on the player's part. While the AI traffic acts stupid, it also acts very predictably. It's more predictable than real-life drivers. As a professional truck driver, you're expected to drive defensively to do what you can to avoid a crash. Even with the current state of the AI traffic in this game, I have no problems driving tens of thousands of miles without a crash.
Trucker Nik

#230 Post by Trucker Nik » 17 May 2022 16:13

ATS and ETS2 games since the release, so I have no doubts about my driving skills, I guess I just had a bad day to drive, in my defense, I'll say I use a mod of real traffic density and ratio, the problem is that when a lot of AI cars appear on the road it starts to mess, this mode adjusts the density of AI is completely different from the density from SCS

Return to “General discussion about the game”