[ETS2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Carsmaniac

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

#231 Post by Carsmaniac » 06 Jun 2022 05:38

Hi everyone! I took a few months' break from trucksim due to IRL responsibilities, but I'm back with an update for Paint Job Packer, featuring a bunch of additions and bug fixes. Alongside support for the new Lode King/Prestige and Renault T Tuning Pack DLCs, the biggest highlight is a huge 10 new languages thanks to the efforts of the community on Crowdin. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed!

Paint Job Packer v1.9.2
  • Added 10 new languages
    • Danish (partially complete)
    • Dutch
    • Finnish
    • French (partially complete)
    • Norwegian (partially complete)
    • Portuguese, Brazilian
    • Portuguese, European
    • Russian (partially complete)
    • Spanish
    • Swedish
  • Added support for 11 new vehicles
    • International 9900i
    • Lode King Distinction
    • Lode King Prestige
    • Prestige Distinction
    • SCS Drop Deck
    • Mercedes_2632's Mercedes-Benz LPS 1632
    • ONURKULL's Talson TAG
    • ONURKULL's Talson TGG
    • Smarty's Timpte Super Seal
    • guidot's Utility 4000DX
    • Outlaw Transport's Western Start 4900EX
  • Updated support for 9 vehicles
    • Krone Cool Liner
    • Krone Dry Liner
    • Krone Profi Liner
    • Renault T
    • Schwarzmüller Food Tank
    • SCS Box Trailer (ETS 2)
    • SCS Food Tank (ETS 2)
    • Gloover's MAN TGX Euro 6 2015
    • RJL's Sisu R- & C-series
  • Fixed 4 crashes
    • KeyError crash when validating paint job info
    • FileNotFoundError crash when the output path is too long
    • PermissionError crash when trying to copy the mod manager image
    • "Paint Job Packer can't find its library files" when the analytics script can't find the version file
  • Fixed 2 minor bugs
    • Vehicles not sorting alphabetically
    • Wrong vehicle selected when making a single paint job
As always, you can download Paint Job Packer here!

And now to respond to all the messages over the past few months:

@ericd22b If you downloaded the "Windows with included templates" version, if you tick the "Use templates instead of empty placeholders" checkbox when making your mod, you should get templates. If not, you can simply resize the empty white squares you get instead and drop the templates on top, just make sure to resize the textures to a power of 2 (2048, 4096, 8192 etc). For truck textures, I use 4096x4096, which is also the resolution of all the templates in my pack. Hope this helps!

@Polomrtvola This is a bit tricky to diagnose, I only have one Mac I can test on and it works for me. See if 1.9.2 works (it works on Big Sur and Monterey for me), just keep in mind that the first time you launch it it'll disappear from your dock then reappear and launch a short while later, almost 10 seconds on my test computer. If that doesn't work, I could walk you through running the source code using Python 3. Let me know how you go!

@anaxiis Thanks for the heads up! With so many mods supported it's impossible to keep up with the updates for them all. I've added all the new parts I could find, as well as the new XL cabin. The custom lightbar textures aren't actually part of the paint job, but are instead a different texture you can replace yourself. A few mods do this for custom light boxes/window decals/number plates, because it's more straightforward than making a paint job by yourself, but if you are making a custom paint job it's a bit annoying as they're completely separate.

@FatGit It looks like it's working for me, the cabin templates show up and many of the accessories don't have templates included (bumper, corner deflectors, sun visor and fuel tank sideskirts) since you'd probably only want to re-colour them, although they are included in my template pack and you can use them if you want to. Would you be able to take a screenshot of the issue you're running into?

@OMNI I had no idea the drop deck trailers had sliding tarp bodies, I missed it in the announcement blog post and didn't check in-game, thanks for letting me know! I've added them to Paint Job Packer and my template pack, you should be able to make paint jobs for them now :)

@Muha10 This turned out to be a limitation of the model. The Schwarzmüller trailers are a little munted, with some of the UV maps being unusable or non-existent. The sideskirt rails (and chassis) of the Food Tank was one such example - because of how SCS made the models, they are not affected by any textures you apply. As a workaround, if you make a Schwarzmüller Food Tank paint job it will now have a colour picker which will affect the otherwise unpaintable parts. It's an inelegant solution, making use of a workaround that only exists because of bus mods, but it works for now :)

@Trenero No worries! You can't remove the "Hi-Way" lettering without some sort of truck mod, since it's baked into the model itself, unfortunately paint jobs can't affect it. If you have the FH Tuning Pack DLC, there is an option (for both FHs) for the lightbox to use the paint job texture instead of saying "Globetrotter" or anything like that.

@Drayton359 Not a stupid question! If you downloaded the "Windows with included templates" version then they should be installed already. If not, you can either go back and download that version, or download my template packs off the forums instead. If you do the latter, you can just resize the 16x16 white squares that Paint Job Packer generates for each of the DDSes, and drop the templates on top. Just make sure to keep the image width & height as a power of 2 (2048, 4096, 8192 etc), I use 4096 myself, and that's the size of the templates too.

@Flyboy01420 Did you work out the trailer template size issue with the Box Trailer and Flatbed? As far as I know all of the templates in Paint Job Packer and the template pack itself are powers of two, but let me know if you find any that aren't!

@Tuxinator If you have a hex editing program (I use one called HxD) you can edit a .tobj to change the path it points to, you just need to make sure you change one extra byte that relates to the length of the new path. I explained it in detail in an earlier post, scroll down to the paragraph starting with "Open the new .tobj file in a hex editor"
LucasVanDerSpin

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

#232 Post by LucasVanDerSpin » 06 Jun 2022 07:30

GREAT Carpmaniac !!!!
:D :D :D
Thank you very much for the update!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am asking for respect and understanding for everyone :roll:
LucasVanDerSpin

#233 Post by LucasVanDerSpin » 06 Jun 2022 07:32

Coffee is coming your way
Attachments
png-clipart-white-teacup-on-saucer-with-coffee-illustration-coffee-papua-new-guinea-espresso-cafe-cup-coffee-food-tea-thumbnail.png
png-clipart-white-teacup-on-saucer-with-coffee-illustration-coffee-papua-new-guinea-espresso-cafe-cup-coffee-food-tea-thumbnail.png (19.93 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
I am asking for respect and understanding for everyone :roll:
Flyboy01420

#234 Post by Flyboy01420 » 06 Jun 2022 08:55

Hello carsmaniac, Thank you for the update. The non power of two templates seem to be random. I made two experimental paint jobs, the first was fine, the second was not. Maybe this update will fix my issue.
OMNI

#236 Post by OMNI » 06 Jun 2022 10:35

Thank you very much for the update, Carsmaniac!
Yellow ranger since 2.60
ProMods Developer since 2.63
Trenero

#237 Post by Trenero » 06 Jun 2022 14:34

@Carsmaniac Thanks for the answer and for the update this is a great program, really easy to work with I've already did my first Paintjob pack

I've have other question i think is not answered before.
Is posible to make a skin abailable only for example for long Tautliner(so in the shop the skin only appears on the long tautliner)?
I've tried edit the mod files but nothing changed, skin is still visible for all the posible combinations of SCS dry.
Carsmaniac

#238 Post by Carsmaniac » 07 Jun 2022 01:25

@Trenero Yes it's definitely possible, just a little fiddly. You'll need to add a line to the paint job's def file with a "suitable_for", which will let you limit what parts the paint job works for. Go to def/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs.box/paint_job and open the .sii file, then add a line in like this, in this position:

[ external image ]

The long curtainsider is curtain_136, you can see the codes for the other bodies in this file on GitHub, just replace the curtain_136 part with the one you want to use instead, e.g. "ins_78.scs.box.body".

Using suitable_for like this gets a bit weird sometimes, in my experience it usually works with bodies, but it gets a bit wonky with doubles and doesn't seem to work at all for chassis configurations (e.g. limiting a paint job to only B-Double trailer configs). YMMV, good luck! :)
Muha10

#239 Post by Muha10 » 07 Jun 2022 06:53

@Carsmaniac Thank you for your explanation.

I just want to add, that I really like this tool.
Trenero

#240 Post by Trenero » 07 Jun 2022 11:42

@Carsmaniac Thanks for your answer i will experiment a bit with this to see if i can made it work as i intended,Thanks

Return to “Skins”