[ETS2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
LucasVanDerSpin

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

#283 Post by LucasVanDerSpin » 02 Oct 2022 21:18

Hi everyone,
I think @Carsmaniac is waiting for the next update 1.46.
New trucks (apparently 2) are to appear later this year.
And I hope for more branded trailers.

I greet the painters.
I am asking for respect and understanding for everyone :roll:
kerias

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paint Job Packer - Lightweight mod making tool [Windows/macOS/Linux]

#284 Post by kerias » 04 Oct 2022 19:23

LucasVanDerSpin wrote: 02 Oct 2022 21:18 I think @Carsmaniac is waiting for the next update 1.46.
I certainly hope so as it is the best way to create skins as a noob, especially as it supports Linux <3.

Does anyone know if it's possible to add specific truck parts/templates to PJP? For instance the lightbox for Volvo FH that you can use in Mods Studio 2? Or combine two mods created in each of the programs? I've tried without success..

If still in development I'd love to see the new SCS trailers, the updated Ekeri and Fliegl by Obelihnio.

Thanks to @Carsmaniac for making an awesome tool!
donfede

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paintjob Packer - Lightweight mod making tool

#285 Post by donfede » 07 Oct 2022 00:15

Carsmaniac wrote: 05 Apr 2020 10:36 @mstfcbngl This is a false positive, and unfortunately a known issue with PyInstaller, which is a tool I used to make Paintjob Packer. You can see on VirusTotal most of the AV engines are fine with it, but a few of them detect it as a virus. The program is safe to use, but if you're worried/your AV won't let you run it, you could download the source code and run packer.py directly (you'll need Python 3).
Double checking if this program is safe to use when downloaded from the "sharemods" link. My systems AV quarantined the zip file listing it as "Trojan:Win32/Spursint.F!cl" .
Last running ETS2 and ATS on Debian GNU/Linux old-stable "stretch" 9 64bit
azgoodaz

Re: [ETS 2 & ATS] Paintjob Packer - Lightweight mod making tool

#286 Post by azgoodaz » 08 Oct 2022 15:34

donfede wrote: 07 Oct 2022 00:15
Carsmaniac wrote: 05 Apr 2020 10:36 @mstfcbngl This is a false positive, and unfortunately a known issue with PyInstaller, which is a tool I used to make Paintjob Packer. You can see on VirusTotal most of the AV engines are fine with it, but a few of them detect it as a virus. The program is safe to use, but if you're worried/your AV won't let you run it, you could download the source code and run packer.py directly (you'll need Python 3).
Double checking if this program is safe to use when downloaded from the "sharemods" link. My systems AV quarantined the zip file listing it as "Trojan:Win32/Spursint.F!cl" .
That's the reason why ShareMods isn't trustworthy. Download it from his website. Use common-sense.
Carsmaniac

#287 Post by Carsmaniac » 08 Oct 2022 22:49

Hey everyone, it seems that ShareMods injected malware into the downloads, I didn't even know that was a thing they could do. PyInstaller files show up as false positives sometimes, but afaik this is not that, the files do actually contain malware. All of the ShareMods links have been removed from the download page and replaced with Mediafire links. I am really sorry that this happened, it's completely unacceptable, and I will no longer be using ShareMods to host any of my projects going forward. The ShareMods issue was likely a false positive, more details here.

Regarding updates, uni work has been taking up a lot of my free time (and all of my mental free time, if that makes sense), and I only recently got the opportunity to work on PJP some more with the mid-semester break. I have all of the 1.45 and 1.46 vehicles added and working with templates, I'll be adding support for a few more truck & trailer mods then releasing an update including the whole lot.

Paint Job Packer has always been kinda janky as it's built in Python, which is not ideal for distributing programs, especially with all the issues PyInstaller brings. I am currently working on a full rewrite that will make it much better in that respect, and easier to work on. It will be a lot of work, and take some time, but it will also allow me to add some features I've wanted for a long time like an auto-updater, and an easier way to add support for more vehicles yourself. Stay tuned for version 1.9.3 soon (TM) and version 2.0 some time in the future :)
Last edited by Carsmaniac on 09 Oct 2022 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Marik

#288 Post by Marik » 09 Oct 2022 04:05

@Carsmaniac thank you, excellent program and working on skins does not cause difficulties
Mesu

#289 Post by Mesu » 09 Oct 2022 09:29

-
Last edited by Mesu on 22 May 2023 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfseye

#290 Post by Wolfseye » 09 Oct 2022 16:50

I tested some of the files from Sharemods with my own Antivirus, but also those from Virustotal.com, and I couldnt find any in regular files (cant speak for installers, but then, why use installers for mods such as this).
With these sites you can never be sure, thats why by now after each download, before any unpacking whatsoever, I check the files with Virustotal, and i cant say i found much. And they scan with all sorts of Antivirus and Malware Sandboxes. There is also a matter of false positives, lets not forget that.

I am not defending Sharemods, but I also dont think just because you find some (which doesnt even mean, it shows up for everyone as malicious files, and you cant rule out false positives so simple), thats its a general thing.
I might get easily frustrated and say something wrong on occasion, but I never really mean it. Please do what I often cant, dont take it too personal. And please forgive me. Thanks guys. :)

Return to “Skins”