Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

VTXcnME

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2461 Post by VTXcnME » 18 May 2022 14:59

Rasp91 wrote: 18 May 2022 13:43 Why would eastern states have to be messed up right away? When I look at how they managed to make the state of Washington, which is similar in size to some eastern states:)

PS: Sorry, google translator
State of Washington: 71,300 sq miles.

All of New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island) is 71,672. New Hampshire is only 9,300sq miles. At current game scale, that's not going to fit many towns, or major interstate systems. New Hampshire will essentially be the size of Seattle/Everett/Tacoma area of Washington.

At current scale, the east cost (particularly New England) won't work right.

Other states for consideration:
Delaware: 1,982 sq mi
New Jersey: 8,723 sq mi
Maryland: 12,407 sq mi
West Virginia 24,038
South Carolina 32,020 sq mi (marginal state, will be very tightly packed, or a lot of stuff overlooked)

Some of the states like New York, Pennsylvania, even Virginia will be okay... but there's at least 10 I can think of off the top of my head (the 10 states I listed above) that will be grossly distorted (or absolutely HORRIBLY represented) at the current scale.
Rasp91

#2462 Post by Rasp91 » 18 May 2022 15:50

I've talked about Washington-like states like North and South Dakota, Oklahoma, Florida, Missouri, etc. I don't compare Washington to Maine in New Jersey, it doesn't make sense. I just want to say that when they released Washington, it was a surprise how many things fit in that DLC :)

PS: sorry, google translator
I use google translator 🇨🇿🇺🇸
Shiva

#2463 Post by Shiva » 18 May 2022 15:58

That's how it is with some regions in Europe, major cities close to each other.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Optional Features

#2464 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 16:21

Rasp91 wrote: 18 May 2022 13:43 Why would eastern states have to be messed up right away? When I look at how they managed to make the state of Washington, which is similar in size to some eastern states:)

Yes, and Washington is currently one of the worst states in the game. Due to the scale, lack of knowledge, and various other factors, SCS created a version of a state that doesn't exist, even believably, while leaving out a ton of incredibly important things and shrinking the size of others.

If Washington is the example for how the East Coast will be, it's going to be terrible.
VTXcnME

#2465 Post by VTXcnME » 18 May 2022 16:59

seriousmods wrote: 18 May 2022 16:21

Yes, and Washington is currently one of the worst states in the game. Due to the scale, lack of knowledge, and various other factors, SCS created a version of a state that doesn't exist, even believably, while leaving out a ton of incredibly important things and shrinking the size of others.

If Washington is the example for how the East Coast will be, it's going to be terrible.
Which brings me back to the original point that was made.... I hope they figure out scale and get the east coast right.
Ryley03d

#2466 Post by Ryley03d » 18 May 2022 17:19

1:1 is impossible. It would take days to do ONE job. 1:15 or 1:10 would be suitable
Optional Features

#2467 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 17:27

@VTXcnME I absolutely agree!

@Ryley03d 1:1 is impossible from a mapping perspective, not just most casual players. What I would suggest is not even 1:10, but twice as much room between existing cities. Then you don't have four relatively major cities spaced out by a highway curve or two each.

And there is room for a lot more rural area, which is where many industries could be located.

That isn't going to happen either, but it would be preferable.
VTXcnME

#2468 Post by VTXcnME » 18 May 2022 17:50

@Ryley03d

1:1 would be impossible and absolutely impractical as you mention, a single job in game would take real time to finish. I certainly wouldn't advocate a 1:1 scale. Mapping it the SCS does it would be beyond a nightmare... That's not a strong enough word.

1:15 would provide better scaling for east coast. I'd love to see 1:10, but even then I believe it'd start to make the game too much for those looking to quick finish jobs.

I was hoping 1:15 would be a scale going forward in the east (once SCS crosses the Mississippi river). Not only would it provide better spacing for cities and landmarks, the geography would match better. I'm thinking of the Appalachian's that reach from Georgia all the way to Maine. There's a host of people who walk the Appalachian trail, who while not huge for truckers, a MAJOR landscape and geographic feature that stretches the entire eastern seaboard.

At 1:19 it's going to be hard to get cities, highways, and any type of geographic features in some of the smaller eastern states and have it feel even close to right.
Last edited by VTXcnME on 18 May 2022 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
SenseFM

#2469 Post by SenseFM » 18 May 2022 17:53

seriousmods wrote: 18 May 2022 16:21 Yes, and Washington is currently one of the worst states in the game. Due to the scale, lack of knowledge, and various other factors, SCS created a version of a state that doesn't exist, even believably, while leaving out a ton of incredibly important things and shrinking the size of others.

Genuinely asking, why do you think it's one of the worst states of the game? It's one of my favorite areas in ATS and I consider it one of the best DLCs comparable to Colorado, but I must say I've never been there in real life. What are the most important things that are missing in your opinion?
angrybirdseller

#2470 Post by angrybirdseller » 18 May 2022 18:36

We should talk about rebuild of CA-AZ-NV not mapscale!

Return to “General discussion about the game”