Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

JoeAlex23

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3491 Post by JoeAlex23 » 21 Dec 2022 16:28

I also support the theory of the rebuild team extending the "reach" of Phase 3 and that's why they didn't show anything on the stream.
Sara

#3492 Post by Sara » 22 Dec 2022 02:39

flight50 wrote: 21 Dec 2022 13:54 I think California should not be rushed.
Honestly, I don't think anywhere should be rushed. SCS has done an amazing job with all the maps and projects so far, I rather they keep up that good work than rush things for released. Although, I do wish if we could have rough roads.
Calibuddy99

#3493 Post by Calibuddy99 » 22 Dec 2022 03:39

I've been waiting 65 Gazillion years for phase 3 and it's not here.
Nothing to say here anymore.
Trakaplex

#3494 Post by Trakaplex » 22 Dec 2022 03:45

Sara wrote: 22 Dec 2022 02:39
flight50 wrote: 21 Dec 2022 13:54 I think California should not be rushed.
Honestly, I don't think anywhere should be rushed. SCS has done an amazing job with all the maps and projects so far, I rather they keep up that good work than rush things for released. Although, I do wish if we could have rough roads.
I think they need better mapping technique. I'm curious how big they will depict the Bay Area, and if it's larger than DFW I'd be mad. Also they could push SF into the ocean to add more space, just like LA (but I've already said this a quindecillion times lol). So I don't want them to rush period. I think in the next phase will cover all of central Cali from Stockton to Santa Maria, and next will be Oxnard/LA/San Bernardino/Barstow. It's better to release one big update than small chunks, the playerbase will be a lot larger for that.

Patience.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Sara

#3495 Post by Sara » 22 Dec 2022 07:47

It depends on what they're adding around in the bay area. Honestly, who knows at the moment, but when it is done, it is going to look better than it does now.
VTXcnME

#3496 Post by VTXcnME » 29 Dec 2022 13:33

Trakaplex wrote: 20 Dec 2022 18:09
Yes, I already speculated this. Man though if Kansas is a single DLC, maybe though another team could be working on Nebraska. Patrik is only in charge of Kansas. Well if they go at this rate without the bundling, the whole US might get really expensive. Phase 4 is definitely LA and the Central Valley, there will be enough mappers.
I think we realistically have 4 or 5 more standalone states. Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, S Dakota, N Dakota. They are all in that 70-80,000 square mile range of current map DLC sizes. Whether they get released in tandem I suppose is the question (ie: Oklahoma and Kansas get hyped/advertised/tested/released simulaneously, but they sell as separate DLC for $11.99 each)

Once those remaining large squares are done, I suspect there will be more tandem releases/bundled releases. Arkansas/Louisiana as one map expansion DLC for $11.99. There's four teams and two established release times per year.... so something has to give. I suspect it'll be DLC's released in tandem for now, then tandem bundled dlc's in the future.

Semantics I suppose but these are my definitions:
Selling two DLC's at the same time at their own established prices = tandem/simultaneous release
Developing a map area covering multiple states that are packed and sold at one price point = combined/bundled DLC

I think map releases will be done in similar fashion to how it's been done: 70-90,000 sq miles meets the criteria for stand alone DLC. Then as SCS moves east, the smaller states combine into a bundled package so Arkansas/Louisiana gets bundled and sold as one DLC at $11.99 price point. As we go way east I imagine Delaware/New Jersey/Maryland all being bundled as one DLC for $11.99. In the Northeast: Connecticut/Rhode Island/Mass/Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine get bundled as one at $11.99. If you look at the square mileages of each of those, they add up to a single state we pay now near 70-90,000 sq miles. Dunno... feels like that's the way they'll address new DLC as they move into smaller sized states vs changing the price of DLC as it arrives. Could be either I suppose.

But: I do know that to buy the entire US, if you buy it as it's released instead of waiting for a sale/deal.... yeah, it'll get spendy. My guesstimation: I'll have $200+ into this game by the time the contiguous 48 are released.
Gormanbros

#3497 Post by Gormanbros » 01 Jan 2023 09:40

I agree with you for the most part, but I think Minnesota will probably also be a standalone map, with Michigan/Wisconsin/Florida as potential standalones too, just based on their size. Florida especially sells itself easily.
Sara

#3498 Post by Sara » 02 Jan 2023 01:53

@VTXcnME Yeah, probably won't see states bundled until we cross the Mississippi. But would see more states as single. Florida, Michigan, Minnesota probably be single state DLC's east of the Mississippi, rest probably be bundle. Who knows though.
VTXcnME

#3499 Post by VTXcnME » 04 Jan 2023 13:43

Yup. You guys are right. Admittedly there'll be a few outliers as we head further east that I didn't mention.

Florida might be as it's about 66,000 sq miles. That would be on the smaller side for our current DLC per sq mileage size, but it could. Michigan and Minnesota (at 97,000 square miles and 87,000 square miles, respectively) would probably be stand alone.
flight50

#3500 Post by flight50 » 04 Jan 2023 15:38

At some point before Spring, it would great to see progress on California orrrrrrr if the rebuild team pushed forward to include some phase 4 along with a phase 1 Nevada perhaps.

I did a xmas event trip from Las Cruces to Reno thru Vegas this past weekend and omg has the map team improved. Nevada is pretty bad compared to nowadays standards. Mainly speaking the landscsping. Phoenix definitely needs a tear down. I think the entire base map (excluding Tonopah and half of Vegas can be trashed.

Road alignment and better accuracy can go along ways. I did this trip on purpose and it's the prime reason most avoid it. Those that don't invest in paid maps and only play the base map.......I feel sorry for ya but you all are selling yourselves short....like big time.

Return to “General discussion about the game”