Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2521 Post by flight50 » 20 May 2022 15:43

I'm all for scale increase East of the Mississippi but of course I don't get credit for the numerous times I stated that the past 2-3 years. Whatever SCS does is what they do. We are okay now so I don't worry about that part yet. But using the Mississippi as part of loading to a new scale is what I'd like. I don't expect others to agree. If garages can get us to and from none connected states, the Mississippi used as a loading of two different maps could work. How.....is uo to SCS. Basically a Western US and an Eastern US. The East doesn't need to be more than 1:15. Match the UK and call it a day.
Vinnie Terranova

#2522 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 20 May 2022 16:26

I can understand this idea of a western and eastern US, but it's not what I want. I don't want two different scales. Most jobs I do in ATS are from east to west and vica versa. In case we have the whole of the US I want to drive from Washington DC / New York to San Francisco / Los Angeles. Without jumping from a 1:15 scale to a 1:20 scale.
Driving in eastern US is also less fun compared to driving in western US: some interstates in the Appalachia all looks the same. Other interstates have rows of trees at both sides of the road which gives you the feeling of driving in some kind of tunnel without being able to see the landscape behind those trees. As it is less fun driving in the east than in the west I certainly don't want to have a larger scale like 1:15 in the east.
Optional Features

#2523 Post by Optional Features » 20 May 2022 16:53

The scale of the map really doesn't matter tbh. I would love to see larger scale as I feel I-5 is a hot mess, but I also believe that SCS isn't using all of the current available space. And their city design is often putting the businesses and stop points of the map inside the city, rather than along the freeway.

How many delivery spots, repair centers, and truck dealers are clearly the next exit and two right turns? Almost none. That's the stuff that bugs me, even more than scale.

Or the lack of billboards along freeways: they are missing the feel of America in many a place, and that can't be fixed with scale.
flight50

#2524 Post by flight50 » 20 May 2022 17:04

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 20 May 2022 16:26 As it is less fun driving in the east than in the west I certainly don't want to have a larger scale like 1:15 in the east.
Yeah I should have stated the scale that I've been saying that is the sweet spot....1:17. Its in between 1:15 and 1:20. The East at 1:17 would give us just enough space between all cities when things start getting too compact. All we really need is an extra 2-3 miles additional to 1:20 between the biggest cities. I agree 1:15 just might be too much perhaps and feels too different. But 1:17 in small states could make it feel more like the West distance that we have.
Sora

#2525 Post by Sora » 20 May 2022 17:29

I agree that a 1:15 scale would be ideal, but it's frankly far too late to apply anything like that to the whole of ATS. And even if they did it, people would expect ETS2 to get it too, which is even MORE impractical.

I don't really think it's a good idea to do wonky location-based scaling, either - it's highly noticeable in ETS2, where it's done for the UK, and that has a much more seamless transition than the Mississippi River. I feel like the only place you could maybe get away with a loading screen is the border, but Canada doesn't need to be any bigger and I doubt there's much desire for a randomly huge Mexico.
MirM

#2526 Post by MirM » 20 May 2022 17:31

I have the impression that few people have any idea what the rescaling of the ATS / ETS2 map is about. Figuratively, it consists in tearing the old map apart and reassembling it, and adding the missing roads and areas. It will not be done piecemeal for individual states already released. All current map DLCs would have to be demolished.

Let me remind you that the ATS map was scaled once in 2016 (probably patch 1.5.x) from 1:35 to 1:20. It was at the very beginning when there were only two states.

-----------
Sorry, I'm using the translator.
xXCARL1992Xx

#2527 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 May 2022 17:32

3 and a DLC already in production that had to change
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
MirM

#2528 Post by MirM » 20 May 2022 17:39

@xXCARL1992Xx

Thank you for the correction. :)
Three states. My memory is failing me.

EDIT: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1Pdn60AE1YQ/ ... _final.png

Blog: https://blog.scssoft.com/2016/12/ats-wo ... pdate.html
Last edited by MirM on 20 May 2022 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
oldmanclippy

#2529 Post by oldmanclippy » 20 May 2022 17:45

If they could make the scale transition when crossing the Mississippi (and Northern Minnesota) seamless then I don't *absolutely hate* that idea. If there are loading screens involved, I'll pass. If it's seamless, my concern is perhaps a bit selfish: Minnesota would get screwed over. Louisiana has very few roads east of the Mississippi so it's not a huge deal, but Minnesota would be this awkward half 1:20 and half 1:15 split. Maybe the split in Minnesota could just be the Wisconsin border north of where the Mississippi leaves the border I suppose. But then I think, well it's gonna be really strange having I-94 being warped in Wisconsin compared to Minnesota. And then I think of all the examples in states further south.

So if there was gonna be a scale change when crossing the Mississippi, I would want it to be gradual if engine updates that make that possible are feasible, otherwise I would want the scale on the east to be more like 1:17 or 1:18. Enough to make a difference but not enough to destroy immersion in the states that border the Mississippi.

My vote is still keeping 1:20 though for consistency sake.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
xXCARL1992Xx

#2530 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 May 2022 17:48

this wont work, that would screw up the whole time calculations, the cities are a necessary evil but not in the middle of nowhere, the UK can only get away with it because it is physically isolated from the rest, but even with the transition it is noticeable that your drive takes longer for the same distance you drive
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”