Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Sora

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2531 Post by Sora » 20 May 2022 17:48

Oh, and while 1:20 isn't ideal, there's still at least room for smaller states like RI and NH to exist. Even at 1:19, ETS2 has entire countries just get wiped off the map completely because they're too small to be represented. Fact of the matter is that ETS2 gets hurt way harder by the reduced scale than ATS does / will, even on the east coast. And that's with it being SCS's big money maker, too.

And while it's true that Luxembourg is in 1:19, all of the small states - even Rhode Island - are larger than it, most substantially so. They can probably at least get either two cities or one city + decent scenery. More if SCS maps intelligently.
JohnMc19

#2532 Post by JohnMc19 » 20 May 2022 17:49

Atm don't have any issue with the 1:20 scale will become a problem once we hit the east coast not sure what scale would work for the east coast. New loading screen once passing the mississippi could work its whether scs will implement it which currently I don't think they will. I remember the complaints on the Wyoming discussion thread about the I-80 cities being too close. Cities will be even closer on the east coast even with another rescale. Currently I have no issue with the scale concerns I have are ICC, draw distance and AI density and the AI needing a rework.
PBandJ

#2533 Post by PBandJ » 20 May 2022 19:08

Please leave the game scaling alone. Making the game a West US and an East US is just plain removed. Using garages to get from one side to another.....smh. That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. This is one country, LEAVE it that way. I know you are getting your prized state soon, but don't screw it up for others that follow..... :evil:
Bandit & The Snowman

#2534 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 20 May 2022 19:10

Next SCS April fools joke: "We will introduce a slider with which players can adjust map scale from 1:1 up to 1:100!"
Forum avantgarde be like: "Dammit SCS don't joke like that! You put that slider in or we'll hijack all ATS threads with rescale and ridiculously easy to implement feature discussions!"
Vinnie Terranova

#2535 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 20 May 2022 20:03

If you watch the American Truck Simulator World Rescale (beginning at 0:30) this rescaling doesn't seem to be too complicated. But I think in reality this rescaling is not that simple.
xXCARL1992Xx

#2536 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 May 2022 20:09

ofc it isnt that easy, they have move everything by hand, they cant just select a big chunk and move it further north or south
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Vinnie Terranova

#2537 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 20 May 2022 20:17

Well, they might be able to do it in the near or far future. SCS developed the map editor, so SCS should be able to develop new features for that map editor. Rescale features for example.
parasaurolophus67

#2538 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 20 May 2022 20:18

think its better to put these games to rest once the time comes in the far future and move on. no need to keep rescaling a current game over and over.
oldmanclippy

#2539 Post by oldmanclippy » 20 May 2022 20:25

I made some comparison images of some of the east coast states overlaid onto the current map, using the projection from the game's background map. It's simultaneously reassuring and terrifying.

https://imgur.com/a/oFOOqoq

Here's a few of them:

Rhode Island:
[ external image ]

Connecticut:
[ external image ]

New Jersey:
[ external image ]

So no, 1:20 is not big enough to make these states comfortable without some really creative mapping. But, some states hold up better than others. Connecticut turns out better than I expected, as does New York, Vermont, and Florida.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Bandit & The Snowman

#2540 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 20 May 2022 20:31

That's pretty interesting, and tbh it was necessary to get a visual impression like this. It makes me even more confident that SCS will never use another scale in ATS. Maybe in a next version, years into the future.

Return to “General discussion about the game”