Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Ryley03d

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2431 Post by Ryley03d » 16 May 2022 00:01

3 marked cities and 2 major US highway intersections
flight50

#2432 Post by flight50 » 16 May 2022 00:12

^I was asking for sectors though. Not cities or roads. Shiva knows what I am asking.
fra_ba

#2433 Post by fra_ba » 16 May 2022 07:06

Normally each person assigned with 4 sectors. That's why I mentioned earlier that the bay area is one individual job preferably an experienced one and probably one or two asset guy to accelerate work a bit.
flight50

#2434 Post by flight50 » 16 May 2022 11:25

We assume it's 4-5 sectors each mapper gets. Unless I missed that detail on a stream somewhere. Apologies if that's the case. But I agree that one person makes sense for San Francisco and Oakland. But to also give them San Jose is a bit much. That's a heck of a workload even for a senior unless a ton of it is already done.

With 2 advanced seniors, one takes the Bay Area and one takes San Jose while the next in-line best junior can step up for Stockton and maybe Modesto. At some point, the map team will need more solid city builders as we push East. Cities become larger and more numerous than the West but luckily in smaller states. So only a handful of cities per state that require lots of attention compared to a scenic town.
Shiva

#2435 Post by Shiva » 16 May 2022 16:17

flight50, here's the sectors of the current map areas.
usa 1.41B 50p grid test19 20p.jpg
New Sacramento, it is above the 4 sectors that are SF, Oakland, Stockton, Oakdale, Santa Cruz.
Only the redone HMS and Chemso and their areas, are in the northernmost of the above sectors.
Truckee, is half a grid west of the Truckee dot on the map.
Reno is quite spot on the Reno dot.
Carson City, that is almost a whole grid south of its dot.
Wells and I-80 / US93, they are quite spot on vs bacground map.
Reno to Wells? that would be 7 sectors. But if not redoing Wells itself, then it would be 6 sectors west of it, that would be redone, if Reno get another makeover.
+ the sectors north of these. And south.
Maybe about 10+ sectors that would be in a I-80 makeover. That is, without touching Carson City.

I guess 5 sectors + Sacramento sector, if US50, Carson City and Reno redone.

Nevada would have about 36 sectors in total, that could receive a makeover.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
oldmanclippy

#2436 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 May 2022 16:21

SF and Oakland make sense to give to one mapper because their road networks are so intertwined, but San Jose is a bit further south and can be completed by someone else with a bit more ease, if the sector distribution allows it. Yes the whole area is intertwined but SF and Oakland are especially intertwined.

I do hope that the Bay Area gets the love it deserves. When I think of Coast to Coast, I think of San Francisco to New York. Golden Gate Bridge to Statue of Liberty. Even though it's outdated today, I still get goosebumps driving on the Golden Gate Bridge and Bay Bridge in ATS. Going over the Bay Bridge makes me think "next stop, I-95", even though it could be a decade or more until that becomes a reality. When I drive through big cities in ATS, I want it to feel like a grand event. Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, and Denver give me that feeling. Sacramento, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City come close. San Francisco needs to capture that "we're not in Kansas anymore" vibe, that feeling that after miles of open road, civilization has returned.

They took the prerequisite first steps by moving Sacramento, planning to move Stockton, and removing San Rafael as marked in order to make as much room for the Bay Area as possible. I wouldn't be opposed to canning Santa Cruz as marked as well if it meant a better San Jose.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Vinnie Terranova

#2437 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 16 May 2022 16:27

@Shiva do you also have a high resolution image of that sector map?
Shiva

#2438 Post by Shiva » 16 May 2022 17:01

Vinnie, my original full USA is about 7MB jpg file. The bmp is 80MB.
And it is a 50% of the original background map + with added grid lines.

Current map area, it should be withing forum limits?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
angrybirdseller

#2439 Post by angrybirdseller » 16 May 2022 22:51

They will need to relocate Reno and Carson City before I-80 is rebuilt in Nevada as there needs to be decent room for improved US-50.

New mining prefabs along with customized truck stops in Nevada where to put them to flow with the map.

Think if Nebraska DLC being worked having I-80 completed in Nevada would be nice bonus.

San Francisco to Omaha is nice along trip at 1668 miles then its another 1240 miles to New York City.

Doubtful scs would push I-80 as priority, but it would be nice before Nebraska is completed.
TheAmir259

#2440 Post by TheAmir259 » 17 May 2022 08:07

That is what we're really not sure of, since the possible Phase 5 (of Cali okay, i'm not gonna mention this again) seems so far away, unless SCS really decided to push for Florida first and/or lower the priority of staircasing upwards, in which Kansas itself could see release after maybe Louisiana or Arkansas or both.

Now i'm not sure why Idaho that was recently released managed to get into the PNW bundle but this is true, not bundling it makes it harder for people to enjoy the stunning sceneries on the remaining states, unlike ETS2 where you'll only be missing Iberia with the Map Booster bundle. As of right now, that's Utah (questionable but i'll say still decent quality), Colorado & Wyoming but that's especially set to grow further with Montana and Texas, unless Texas gets bundled up as well. As well as New Mexico which is in its own bundle? And from what i see as well, they seemed to have no other initiatives than this, as once California rework is done, along with bundles, people will be less motivated to buy the others in a sense of pricing and budgets as one is more likely to opt for buying the PNW bundle and NM bundle, along with Texas for the cheapest long-distance trips (wallet-wise, not game-wise).

With this, I feel like reworking Cali alone definitely isn't enough to lure (especially new) players to buy the decent-quality map DLCs further east (of Cali) whereas doing Nevada would, especially since it is on the direct path of the I-80 in addition to partly the I-15 (and Las Vegas). Both of which, will lead to the better areas (I-15 leads to Montana so), and thus also makes for a convincing point to actually buy the DLCs further east, although of course bundling shouldn't be ignored neither in this.
Two wrongs don't make a right, three lefts...do :D

Return to “General discussion about the game”