Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

nautofon

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3501 Post by nautofon » 04 Jan 2023 17:45

^ The very decent signage Natvander added to Arizona actually makes it quite tolerable I think.

But it'll still be a few years before California and Nevada's rework is nearing completion. By that time, Arizona will be as ripe a target for a complete teardown and rebuild as, say, Nevada I-80 has been since ... well, since forever I suppose. :)
flight50

#3502 Post by flight50 » 04 Jan 2023 18:27

Tolerable....agreed for Arizona. But the other 2 states, no signage will help them without rebuilds. The landscaping took a step forward with Arizona. NM improved a lot on Arizona. I love the feel of Nevada but the look of it compared to what they could be just doesn't float many boats. The completion of California and Nevada really depends on how the mappers are assigned. Will we get 3 paid maps a year and 1 rebuild phase. Or will they stick to 2 paid maps a year and then 2 rebuild projects a year.

If rebuilds will have emphasis, there could be a full sized paid map team size assigned for the rebuild. Nevada could be knocked out within 12 months if a full size production team is on it. Or will they keep phasing out the rebuilds. Nevada is no California nor Arizona. It could be done must faster than both.
Tristman

#3503 Post by Tristman » 04 Jan 2023 19:36

I used to think Arizona was tolerable, but by now it’s about the same level as Nevada to me. Call it being spoiled by the newer states, but the lack of detail and repetitiveness of scenery and infrastructure make me avoid Arizona as much as I can.
Even New Mexico is starting to feel dated now that Texas is right next to it for comparison. But at least it has cities that feel more unique than those in Arizona, as well as proper truck stops/rest areas and some interesting junctions/road layouts here and there.
Vinnie Terranova

#3504 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 04 Jan 2023 20:29

While I think Arizona is tolerable for now, when the rebuild of California is finished it will not be tolerable anymore. By no means. Arizona will need an almost complete overhaul to in order to be on par with the latest states. The difference in quality between CA + TX and AZ will be way too big and noticable.
Calibuddy99

#3505 Post by Calibuddy99 » 04 Jan 2023 20:51

Yeah, arizona has just been totally abandoned by all means, just like 99% of nevada. Hopefully it will be reworked soon, but we have to wait forever for that to happen.
Last edited by Calibuddy99 on 05 Jan 2023 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to say here anymore.
Trakaplex

#3506 Post by Trakaplex » 04 Jan 2023 21:37

The only pro about Arizona is that it has street names, but those were later just assigned as the network is faulty. Honestly, I think California is the worst, because LA's unattractiveness just pops out. They redid Vegas at great timing after Utah.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
flight50

#3507 Post by flight50 » 04 Jan 2023 21:52

Arizona is tolerable in terms of base map states. Compared to the rest of the map, yeah its not good. I still don't go into Arizona really. This past weekend was the first time in probably almost a year. Every since Wyoming, I've even stayed clear of even Northern California until just yesterday on a trip from Reno to Redding. The lack of I-80 upgraded just doesn't connect it to newer map quality. I agree the newer maps spoil you though. NM is okay with me. Its nothing like the base map states though. Its feasible for me. I'd rather NM than any of the base map states excluding Northern Cali.

This might be my last week doing the xmas event. I'm starting to get burned out with the lack of trailer diversity. I might have done close 20-25 deliveries by now. I miss hauling other cargo at this point.

As SCS gets back into the work flow, hopefully stuff not mentioned on the xmas stream starts getting blogged. It was noted that there are a lot of projects that are w.i.p. from last year. Whether large or small projects, new content is new content.
SuchManor

#3508 Post by SuchManor » 04 Jan 2023 22:13

I try to avoid anything before Oregon. It just doesn't compare to the Idaho and after states. Night and day difference for me. Natvander tries his best with the signage in the older states, but everything else is just awful.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
oldmanclippy

#3509 Post by oldmanclippy » 04 Jan 2023 22:40

Street names are a goofy thing in ATS, some parts in Texas don't even have street names. It's wildly inconsistent.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
SuchManor

#3510 Post by SuchManor » 05 Jan 2023 01:01

Are they there IRL? Main issue I noticed with signs in Texas is many street signs not using the Texas poles.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots

Return to “General discussion about the game”