Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

SabR

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2491 Post by SabR » 19 May 2022 11:41

Madkine wrote: 19 May 2022 09:02 To rescale all current maps from 1:20 - 1:15 could take 3 years + assuming no new maps were being worked on at the same time.
The rescale has to be implemented on the entire map at once, it can't be done bit by bit.
And once done, new state releases will be slower as each state is now larger than it used to be.

There are more cons than pros with a rescale due to the large effort involved.
Adding to the points mentioned by Madkine, this seems like a vicious circle. If SCS does a rescale of base maps & all released DLCs at 1:15, people would complain that now with a bigger scale, SCS should re-do the cities & especially mountains that look like hills due to scale factor & draw distance limitations present in the game now. If SCS does that & grows cities by adding more details, we'll again be discussing about rescaling the map at 1:10 for Eastern states to give them more space coz now we would be comparing cities built in 1:15 & getting scared of how much corners would be cut to fit the smaller Eastern states in 1:15.

Seeing it the other way round, SCS does not touch old cities & just adds more roads to fill the gaps created by the scale change (1:20 to 1:15). They then move to the smaller states east side & build detailed cities, we'll back here discussing rebuild of older cities to the quality levels of Eastern states.

The only way I think would be, SCS keeps the released states & cities as is, adds more roads, hills, mountains, valleys to fill the gaps & keep the same quality levels when doing the smaller states. I bet there would be a discussion on how SCS failed yet again to improve on map quality now that they have more space to build. But as mentioned in a post above we are way too far to even contemplate a return to a re-scale again.
stygarro

#2492 Post by stygarro » 19 May 2022 11:45

https://twitter.com/SCSsoftware/status/ ... 02/photo/1

Is this Tucson, AZ? What you think?
VTXcnME

#2493 Post by VTXcnME » 19 May 2022 11:58

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 18 May 2022 20:13if they start to rework in 1:15 it is stupid to continue to make new DLCs in 1:20, and then the mismatching starts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, obviously, new DLC would be made at 1:15 right? I mean, it would be stupid to make it at another scale and then go rework it, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: And yes, it would delay Texas and Montana but given it's been 4-ish years since the beginning of the Texas journey, what's another 6-ish months so the (reportedly) huge Texas map team could stretch the state out a bit? This feels like a really silly reason to throw the idea right out the window.

Look, it's just an idea, as long as they are currently reworking the map anyway. Honestly, there's got to be something done before they hit some of the east coast states. They will have issues making the east coast look right at the current game scale. Let me say that again slower: They will have issues with the east coast at the current scale. It's not just one state (as some seem to keep comparing this to Luxemburg). It's literally 8 or 10 states some of them bordered right up against each other in clusters. At the current scale the have two choices: Skip almost every land feature, geographic feature, and most every city OR pack everything in so tight there is no gap between the two or three towns in each DLC. New Hampshire is basically the same size (in game) as Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area. Vermont is the same. Rhode Island? That's essentially just Los Angeles (again, game size). There's no way the current game scale works for such small states. Period. The entire state will be one big city. And it's not. There's a couple of major cities and a lot of scenery that should be included in each of the small states, but it can't at such a small scale.
pigbrother

#2494 Post by pigbrother » 19 May 2022 12:07

Europe also has dense urban areas and no ETS2 player has died because of the scale. Some cities will be ignored, tough luck. Rhode Island will be Providence and some scenic cities on the coast. It's small IRL, will be small in game.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
halbtollekreatur

#2495 Post by halbtollekreatur » 19 May 2022 12:14

stygarro wrote: 19 May 2022 11:45 https://twitter.com/SCSsoftware/status/ ... 02/photo/1

I thougt it's about the new trailer hidden behind the tree
flight50

#2496 Post by flight50 » 19 May 2022 12:39

ETS2 is 1:19 vs ATS at 1:20. That small difference adds up. Not huge but it has some benefits. What kills ATS in cities are the massive 1:1 interchanges that can't be avoided. They are the size of small scenic cities for the most part.

Only thing we can hope for is that a plan is in place for the East. What that is....no telling. But its beyond our control but the subject continues to come up. Whatever the fix is, it will be what it will be. We not there yet, so I don't concern myself with it. Whatever solution comes, there will be people that won't be happy no matter what.

When SCS solved not buying every state, that solution worked. SCS just solved how to rework the bas map....assemble a rework team. I just put that same faith in the devs with the scale for the East. Things will work themselves out.
JohnMc19

#2497 Post by JohnMc19 » 19 May 2022 13:27

I have no issues with the scale currently certainly has its limitations. I feel we are not going to get a rescale most likely draw distance will happen in the near future. I think Texas cities will show a glimpse of the future for East Coast as well as LA.
flight50

#2498 Post by flight50 » 19 May 2022 13:36

Honestly, the only state that would closely resemble the East coast is Washington with how compact the big cities are and Washington is still 2-3 times the size of the East. I could only say the I-35 corridor corridor is similar. That would be like your I-95 on the East coast. The easiest thing to do for the East is cut out more marked towns. Make some scenic but with remote depots. Scenic means they go smaller but then to risk having things bunched up. What do you do? Either bunch or cut. That is the only way without a scale increase.
Shiva

#2499 Post by Shiva » 19 May 2022 13:46

VTXcnME wrote: 19 May 2022 11:58
xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 18 May 2022 20:13if they start to rework in 1:15 it is stupid to continue to make new DLCs in 1:20, and then the mismatching starts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, obviously, new DLC would be made at 1:15 right? I mean, it would be stupid to make it at another scale and then go rework it, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: And yes, it would delay Texas and Montana but given it's been 4-ish years since the beginning of the Texas journey, what's another 6-ish months so the (reportedly) huge Texas map team could stretch the state out a bit? This feels like a really silly reason to throw the idea right out the window.

Look, it's just an idea, as long as they are currently reworking the map anyway. Honestly, there's got to be something done before they hit some of the east coast states. They will have issues making the east coast look right at the current game scale. Let me say that again slower: They will have issues with the east coast at the current scale. It's not just one state (as some seem to keep comparing this to Luxemburg). It's literally 8 or 10 states some of them bordered right up against each other in clusters. At the current scale the have two choices: Skip almost every land feature, geographic feature, and most every city OR pack everything in so tight there is no gap between the two or three towns in each DLC. New Hampshire is basically the same size (in game) as Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area. Vermont is the same. Rhode Island? That's essentially just Los Angeles (again, game size). There's no way the current game scale works for such small states. Period. The entire state will be one big city. And it's not. There's a couple of major cities and a lot of scenery that should be included in each of the small states, but it can't at such a small scale.
Nono, a Texas change from 1:20 to 1:15, it would not cause delay of Texas release with as little as 6 months. It could be years.
And add to that the rescale of current areas + Montana.
We would not see anything for ATS, regarding maps, for many years.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Mooner_37

#2500 Post by Mooner_37 » 19 May 2022 13:57

stygarro wrote: 19 May 2022 11:45 https://twitter.com/SCSsoftware/status/ ... 02/photo/1

Maybe El Paso?
Current Headquarters: Liège, Berlin, L.A. Luxemburg, Seattle
Current Trucks: ETS2: 15 ATS: 2
Driving Truck: ETS2: DAF XF ATS: Peterbilt 579
Current Mileage: ETS2: 462,317 km (287,270 miles) - ATS: 384,392 km (238,850 miles)
Level: ETS2: 65 - ATS: 55

Return to “General discussion about the game”