Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

rbsanford

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3511 Post by rbsanford » 05 Jan 2023 01:52

Arizona south of I-40 is tolerable at the moment; it just needs improved textures/assets, some road network fixes/additions, etc. Northern Arizona, on the other hand, really needs attention. US 89 and 191 especially are way off the mark; that whole area should be the first to be redone when the reworks get to Arizona.

The only part of Arizona that should stay as it is, IMO, is I-17 (except for maybe replacing Camp Verde with Prescott). The Rescale did wonders to that road that still hold up. The Salt River Canyon is also very good, but it just needs to be nudged north a bit so it's midway between Globe and Show Low. Everything added after the Rescale can also stay, of course, except the US 70/191 interaction will have to be tweaked, with the 70 between Globe and the 191 ideally being added (and, even more ideally, the 191 all the way down to Douglas, which can replace San Simon as the marked city in that area).
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Trakaplex

#3512 Post by Trakaplex » 05 Jan 2023 02:39

SuchManor wrote: 05 Jan 2023 01:01 Are they there IRL? Main issue I noticed with signs in Texas is many street signs not using the Texas poles.
Here in Texas, they have signs on traffic lights except for signals that go into retail areas. Even there, they have them sometimes with the name of the shopping center. I think it's simply because SCS forgot to add them or were in a rush. Look at Montana and Hawkins in the first gameplay video, there weren't signs on the lights. During release, they added them. Also they don't have Airway and Edgemere. Street name signs increase realism, and for the inaccessible areas they should do as well. For example in Dallas, Lancaster Dr is not marked on the overpass, even though I know it is that one. Unfortunately, Cali doesn't have any because 75% of the 2016 cities are copy-and-paste. Arizona is a bit better realistically designed imo. Only exceptions may include US-60 connecting I-10/AZ-51 at the same interchange.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
flight50

#3513 Post by flight50 » 05 Jan 2023 03:01

If SCS leaves anything in Arizona, they won't hear the end of it. Arizona is still night and day from the Idaho standard that has established itself as the bench mark. Either revamp the entire base map or don't worry about bringing anything else to the level of current quality. A huge portion of the supporting dlc community avoids the base map more than likely.
Tristman

#3514 Post by Tristman » 05 Jan 2023 16:17

Yeah agreed, anything that remains untouched will stick out like a sore thumb. Like the SLC mountain backdrop.
SuchManor

#3515 Post by SuchManor » 05 Jan 2023 22:44

Trakaplex wrote: 05 Jan 2023 02:39
SuchManor wrote: 05 Jan 2023 01:01 Are they there IRL? Main issue I noticed with signs in Texas is many street signs not using the Texas poles.
Here in Texas, they have signs on traffic lights except for signals that go into retail areas. Even there, they have them sometimes with the name of the shopping center. I think it's simply because SCS forgot to add them or were in a rush. Look at Montana and Hawkins in the first gameplay video, there weren't signs on the lights. During release, they added them. Also they don't have Airway and Edgemere. Street name signs increase realism, and for the inaccessible areas they should do as well. For example in Dallas, Lancaster Dr is not marked on the overpass, even though I know it is that one. Unfortunately, Cali doesn't have any because 75% of the 2016 cities are copy-and-paste. Arizona is a bit better realistically designed imo. Only exceptions may include US-60 connecting I-10/AZ-51 at the same interchange.
I do think it would be a good idea for Natvander or another sign guy/gal to go though Texas again and fill in the spots that are missing signs or have the wrong sign poles. Its very inconsistent all over.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
LATrucker

#3516 Post by LATrucker » 06 Jan 2023 18:19

SCS uploaded new screenshots to the ATS steam page and what caught my attention are the shots of the map. This one for example:
[ external image ]
https://steamdb.info/app/270880/history ... U:35243577

There's another dot in the Bay Area right under San Francisco. That's San José, isn't it? And if you look really close, you can already see parts of the new road network (or am I wrong here?).
oldmanclippy

#3517 Post by oldmanclippy » 06 Jan 2023 18:40

@LATrucker No this is the current version of CA:
no.png
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
LATrucker

#3518 Post by LATrucker » 06 Jan 2023 19:59

Ah ok, thanks! Got a little hyped already :lol:
Calibuddy99

#3519 Post by Calibuddy99 » 06 Jan 2023 20:14

I was hoping it was a rework picture! Aw man!
Nothing to say here anymore.
interstate trav

#3520 Post by interstate trav » 29 Jan 2023 20:48

I’m wondering when the next phase will be released.

I wonder if they have more done then they have told us and plan to just surprise us. With all the new states the rebuild becomes more necessary because that’s where you start and you have to get people in and show them the quality. If you want the other states quality to be known have to have it at the base map as well. I’m sure that’s why there working on it.

Now that we have Texas I’m really excited about Los Angeles and how they handle it.

Return to “General discussion about the game”