Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Calibuddy99

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3901 Post by Calibuddy99 » 22 Mar 2023 03:54

Gormanbros wrote: 21 Mar 2023 22:54 I'm also excited for Lake Tahoe. Such a pretty area and not represented great in the current map
You mean "Not represented at all"? I don't think that the Lake Tahoe area exists in the current map yet, and if it does, I'm sorry for making a foolish mistake.
Nothing to say here anymore.
Sara

#3902 Post by Sara » 22 Mar 2023 03:54

Speaking of which, I hope SCS doesn't continue with having CA-99 connected up via the I-5 south of Sacramento, but instead, have it connected up to I-80 Bus/US-50 in Sacramento.
Calibuddy99

#3903 Post by Calibuddy99 » 22 Mar 2023 04:00

Sara wrote: 22 Mar 2023 03:54 Speaking of which, I hope SCS doesn't continue with having CA-99 connected up via the I-5 south of Sacramento, but instead, have it connected up to I-80 Bus/US-50 in Sacramento.
Yeah, that is what I've been demanding ever since I found out about this game! Unfortunately, there isn't much room to add the Business Loop 80 into the game, but US 50 is added. So, I'm hoping that we at least get the interchange of where the 3 highways meet and merge into one, even if you can't drive onto Business 80. Also, here's a fun fact: Business Loop 80 used to be a part of I-80 IRL, but I-80 was moved onto a newly built bypass freeway called I-880, because the original route didn't mean interstate standards. Anyone find that interesting?
Sara

#3904 Post by Sara » 22 Mar 2023 04:06

I'm not really worried if they don't add the I-80 Bus in, we have a few cases where there has been some highways that would connect to another road, but the highways couldn't be extended due to the space. But I rather see the connections in more of the right place, rather then have then connect in odd places where they don't really make sense
flight50

#3905 Post by flight50 » 22 Mar 2023 04:32

Sara wrote: 22 Mar 2023 03:31 If they are going to be adding in US-50, then they should've first worked on that corner of Nevada. Can't just add a road then have it make no sense in the end with the current positioning of Reno and Carson City.
I think I can take a shot at what will happen considering what Jakub said on the phase 2 stream last year. Jakub mentioned that with this phasing stuff that sometimes they have to redo things when the next phase rolls around. They had to redo a lot with phase 1 to the point they just redid it all over and included cities this time instead of doing it like Germany. The inital plan was to rework all the roads first and do cities later. That didn't work out too well, so phase 2 redid all of phase 1 and a little more.

Now for this phase 3, its actually quite easy to get US-50 to Carson City without touching much of Nevada.
1) they could actually go ahead and slide Reno and Carson in the map by disconnecting roads and reconnect. I doubt they do this. Main reason, they have to reuse old assets which might break stuff when trying to connect to new stuff. Easier to match up old to new vs new to old.
2) All we need is US-50 to the US-395 junction @I-580. To that road is all we need which is this intersection. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1204232 ... 8192?hl=en. They can give us the mountains to the West of I-580 and the rest would stay.
3) go ahead and rework Carson City too. Its not that large but it could miss 1.48 which is probably the target for phase 3.

Iirc, Lake Tahoe is already in a fairly accurate position but the road that is around it is totally inaccurate. They can build all the way up to US-395/I-580 in Carson City and patch it up enough that all we get is the connection to Carson City. Phase 4 or Phase 1 Nevada would then fix Carson City. If you played the Sierra Nevada map mod, they got in US-50 without modifying Carson City and it worked out pretty well actually. I haven't used Sierra Nevada since 1.40 but I don't recall them touching Carson City. I'm expecting SCS to do something similar and go back later and fix Carson City by moving it and Reno then. Its just the culprit of phasing. Jakub even mentioned that in order to finish one phase, they basically have to cheat it a little and fix in the next phase. So they have redo stuff no matter what. Blending in phases to old isn't the easiest task. They pretty much have to get US-50 to US-395 though because it currently doesn't connect. There's another road there that connects the lake's road to I-580 which is NV-28 if I'm not mistaking. All that has to come out because its not accurate.

I see US-50 terminating pretty similar to how they patched in the Vegas rebuild with the old stuff. US-93 Northbound connecting to I-15 is a prime example along with the work on how they blended in US-93 going into Vegas from Kingsman. Also how they blended in UT-319 to NV-56 when they made that shortcut linking I-15 to US-93. That road turned out pretty good considering it linked to old content.
Calibuddy99

#3906 Post by Calibuddy99 » 22 Mar 2023 05:19

Yeah! That only affects Nevada in a way that doesn't require editing cities. Didn't think it would be that easy, but I forgot that US 50 only connects at that intersection.
clutch

#3907 Post by clutch » 22 Mar 2023 05:39

Calibuddy99 wrote: 22 Mar 2023 03:51 Oh and also, can someone please tell me the locations of the images in the rework blog? We already know what Pics 4 and 8 are, but what about the others? Is it possible to identify the IRL location of those?
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1867837 ... 92!5m1!1e1 this might be pic 7

Pic 2 could be Fresno probably 180 or something like that

The rest are either 50, 101, or some other state route in the foothills
Calibuddy99

#3908 Post by Calibuddy99 » 22 Mar 2023 06:45

@clutch Yeah, that's gotta be pic 7. And I've noticed that huron is further south than fresno on google maps, so that might actually mean that phase 3 will in fact feature Fresno. We don't know yet though.
rbsanford

#3909 Post by rbsanford » 22 Mar 2023 07:25

How about pic 1? It looks like it could be on the 395 to me, but I haven't found anything yet.

A reworked 395 is another reason to push Carson City north, because where it currently is, I'm afraid there won't be room for a more accurate alignment. But to be fair, it's kind of been shown that a road doesn't have to look accurate on the UI map to make for a good driving experience with accurate scenery in the game itself; the new Donner Pass is a great example of this. As long as we get Conway Summit and its southern grade, and maybe also the canyon of the West Walker, I guess I can tolerate a wonky-looking 395 between Mono Lake and Carson City. Same goes with the 50; where Carson City currently is, it'll have to trend an unrealistic southeast to get to Echo Summit instead of an ENE, but it could still make for good driving until Carson is fixed.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
GinXeng

#3910 Post by GinXeng » 22 Mar 2023 07:26

Sara wrote: 22 Mar 2023 03:54 Speaking of which, I hope SCS doesn't continue with having CA-99 connected up via the I-5 south of Sacramento, but instead, have it connected up to I-80 Bus/US-50 in Sacramento.
This, this is what I'm really hoping, also make the Ca-99 a true highway, it is not a street with traffic lights when it gets into Stockton.

Return to “General discussion about the game”