Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2501 Post by Shiva » 19 May 2022 14:07

According to posts on twitter and here on the forums, yeah, El Paso.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Ryley03d

#2502 Post by Ryley03d » 19 May 2022 14:17

pigbrother wrote: 19 May 2022 12:07 Europe also has dense urban areas and no ETS2 player has died because of the scale. Some cities will be ignored, tough luck. Rhode Island will be Providence and some scenic cities on the coast. It's small IRL, will be small in game.
*Insert Quahog here*
JohnMc19

#2503 Post by JohnMc19 » 19 May 2022 14:27

Yeah the I-5 corridor in Washington would closely resemble. With the North East we'll get remote depots at best with the city in the distance I feel definitely need that draw distance increase.
AlexxxF1

#2504 Post by AlexxxF1 » 19 May 2022 14:54

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 19 May 2022 06:21 The fact that we are still talking about rescale has to mean something; there has to be a reason that we are still talking about it. I think it's because the 1:20 scale might be a little bit too small and therefore it causes a little bit too much problems. A second reason might be that we are worried about the east coast (dense road network and big cities close to each other).

I don't know how much time and effort it would take to change a 1:20 scale map into a 1:15 or 1:10 scale map. But that's a discussion we shouldn't have at all; that's a discussion for SCS. We, as players, should just be talking about the pros and cons of 1:20 scale versus 1:15 or 1:10 scale; not about the rescaling process itself. Leave that to SCS as an internal discussion.

Back to the rebuild. A rescale is also a rebuild. So, yes, we can certainly keep mentioning a possible 1:15 or 1:10 rescale. I think there are more pros than cons with a 1:15 or 1:10 rescale. But I'm more concerned about the Great Plains. So far, I like the rebuild of northern California, and I'm looking forward to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Even with a scale of 1:20, a complete redesign of California will take as much as 5 full years. it is a fact. And we still have Nevada and Arizona ahead of us.

Today there are many more of those who complain that we receive only one DLC map expansion per year. Most lose interest in driving on the same roads over the course of a year.
And they want new roads and alternative routes as quickly as possible. And if you increase the scale of the map from at least 1:20 to 1:15, then 1 DLC map expansion will have to wait for more than one year, but two or three whole years.
And the longer we wait to get the whole map of the USA from SCS, the more the first map expansion DLCs of the map begin to become obsolete. :arrow: This is the first problem.

It can be said that not all ideas are useful for games. Some ideas, yes, can help, while others can, on the contrary, may kill the game.

Like Need for Speed. When in pursuit of graphics, this series began to be made on the FrostBite engine, which is not at all suitable for auto racing. This engine simply does not convey a sense of speed. It killed such a popular once a series of games like NFS.
Or, for example, the Resident Evil series, which has become more and more focused on the shooter while listening to some players. And in the end, by the 6th part, this series simply lost popularity and almost dead. Until the authors returned to the roots again and returned the horror in the 7th part.
In part 8, the writers again put more emphasis on shooting. listening to some fans, which ultimately disappointed them and everyone else. And the best in the 8th part are the levels, just where there is more of a horror component, and not shooting.

Not all tips are equally useful, as they seem at first glance. and can only destroy what they loved the game for initially, for its roots.

:arrow: Second problem - I think everyone forgets all the time that as the scale increases, the passage of time also changes. And it's strange when, for example, Sierra Nevada map mod. due to its roads not scaled at 1:20 , distorted, you drive longer through Nevada than through all of Texas before. And then it seems that Nevada is bigger than Texas. Although life is not like that. And it immediately destroys all that immersion and realism that you actually drive on US roads.
The whole picture is important. and not just some parts of it.

If you do, as some suggest, change only the scale for the Eastern states, then it will be very, very strange for me to drive through all of South Carolina for the same amount of time as I drove through all of Texas before. Again, South Carolina turns out to be as big as Texas, if not bigger.
And if in real life it's not like that. it will only ruin the immersion in the game. Also will make for me ATS not so realistic. the whole atmosphere and charm of the game will be lost.
Last edited by AlexxxF1 on 19 May 2022 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Vinnie Terranova

#2505 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 May 2022 15:16

@AlexxxF1 problems are there to be solved. I'll give one example:
AlexxxF1 wrote: 19 May 2022 14:54And if you increase the scale of the map from at least 1:20 to 1:15, then 1 DLC map expansion will have to wait for more than one year, but two or three whole years.
This problem can easily be solved by not releasing a whole state as one DLC, but by splitting a state into two or more parts and release them as separate DLCs. When Texas was announced I first thought that it would come in two DLCs. With a larger scale it is quite easy to split a state into several DLCs.
Besides that, the further we go to the east, the smaller the states become. We have talked about bundling several states into one DLC. With a larger scale it's not necessary anymore to bundle states (apart from the really small ones, ofcourse).
oldmanclippy

#2506 Post by oldmanclippy » 19 May 2022 15:47

The release cadence is slower than most people are wanting as it is, a rescale would make things go even slower. 1:20 will be fine for all parts of the east except Washington -> Boston. It seems silly to me to rescale everything because of one corridor. Most of the east coast is still less dense than a lot of Europe. Tons of rural areas in Pennsylvania, New York, Maine, Vermont, Virginia, North Carolina, etc. Of course some cities will get cut but that's the reality.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
pigbrother

#2507 Post by pigbrother » 19 May 2022 15:55

That corridor most likely will look like Olympia - Tacoma - Seattle - Everett corridor and to be honest I have zero problems with this.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
JoeAlex23

#2508 Post by JoeAlex23 » 19 May 2022 16:00

A game scale change is just out of the question right now (or the next 5 to 8 years), SCS still has a lot to do in the USA and that will delay everything else in a massive way, also, i'm sure most of us (at least more than 60% of players) don't want to spend 20 real hours to do a coast to coast drive when they finally reach the East, the time that it will take to do a re-scale can be spent on a LOT of things that the game needs more.

Also, splitting map DLC's? Now that is getting out of hand, people will be absolutely PISSED if SCS ever decides to do something as outrageous as that, that is as bad as microtransactions and lootboxes, just saying...
Onagerlinn

#2509 Post by Onagerlinn » 19 May 2022 17:30

@fra_ba A 1:15 re-scale would be a massive difference. The map would be 77.7777....% larger.
flight50

#2510 Post by flight50 » 19 May 2022 17:32

If there is ever a scale increase and if its more than 1:17, that is it for me. I don't have time to play long hrs like that and I beat the vast major of people here don't either. At this point, we got what we got and SCS will have to make due. Change the scale and people will want it smaller again. Change that and people will want to get even smaller. Leave it where it is. I'd like to get a completed North America before I am unable to even play video games. Not just the US........North America. I want to experience both Canada and Mexico with SCS driving the bus......not map mods. This topic will never die but we can't stress out over what we don't know. If I-95 is like Olympia, Tacoma and Seattle..........its not the end of the world. NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC are the worse that can happen. Those cities will have to get pushed off center a bit but it may not be as bad as it seems. If they can get Dallas/Ft.Worth, Waco, Austin and San Antonio to fit.........I have zero worries for I-95 We will find out how they pull off Texas before anything else of this magnitude. When Texas does come, we'll see how they adjusted to what they did in Washington. We have the same leadership that worked Washington in Texas so lets see what they come up with.

Phase 3 of California will get a small taste of this as well. Things will work themselves out. On many blogs and streams, SCS has praised what the new people are pulling off. They are squeezing it lots of detail and work into these tight spaces compared to 2016 ATS. Lets see what they can do in the future. Talking about it now doesn't justify anything. We can't get 1:1 cities in full display but enough can capture what needs to be captured.

Return to “General discussion about the game”