Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

rbsanford

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3221 Post by rbsanford » 01 Oct 2022 04:05

...That is, unless we get a bridge to Hawaii, like in BoJack Horseman. But who would want to drive some 2500 miles in what would probably be a straight line over nothing but ocean?

The idea floated a few pages back about adding one or two DLC states to the base map sounded like a good idea to me, actually. I can see new players being turned away because of the small base map; they'd probably think the game was a ripoff because of all the DLCs. The question is, though: if the base map were to be extended into paid DLC territory, what states would be absorbed? New Mexico is the oldest, and Utah would box out the map, good reasons for either of those. Oregon and Washington complete the West Coast, but makes a dreaded corridor. Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington would make for a nice, boxed-out, diverse base map, but that might be too many states, unless the price of the base game were to increase quite a bit more.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#3222 Post by flight50 » 01 Oct 2022 06:25

There are pros and cons to adding to the base map. Its one of those situations that......it is what it is. Obviously the more paid dlc's coming, the base map indeed looks smaller and smaller. But if you add to the base map in one game, you must do the same in ETS2 as well. Increasing the price of the base map is really the same as buying a state like New Mexico but on its permanent discount price. Going beyond New Mexico is perhaps doing too much though.

Considering SCS operators like no other, they still give us a lot for free. Mainly the rebuild efforts and the lifetime of updates, its all free. This includes engine upgrades, prefab upgrades, trucks, reworked trailers, other game features and improvements. I wouldn't add to the base map until the rebuild is done honestly.....if in fact they add to the base map. Recoop as much income for the rebuild as much as possible. Income from the base map is only gained from newcomers. I'd almost rather see Baja California added for free. Texas is bring forwarding centers to have that make sense. 2 issues with that. Its a lot of work still because its uncharted territory. Lots of time an resources get sucked in there and 2) it would be too much of a tease into Mexico. It would be years from now until more is added to Mexico.

Unless SCS hired a new team to start Mexico, it might be too early. I've been one of the biggest advocates to starting Mexico and Canada well before the US is done. But I'd only do this if a 5th team is assembled. Sooniest Mexico could be started imho is once the rebuild team is done rebuild the base map and gets swept thru all the paid content for some tlc. If ATS has roughly 40 mappers, with 4 map leads that gives them about 10 people per team. 50 mappers is territory for going across the borders for sure. I still think 3-4 teams max in the US is good progress. With smaller states about to come, they will get knocked out at good pace with even just 3 map team. For base map connections and with all of the US border coming once Texas drops, I think Mexico is the better country to start up..........if SCS goes across the border before the US is done. A new market in ATS gets just as interesting as Europe dlc's imho. Different is good.
Gormanbros

#3223 Post by Gormanbros » 01 Oct 2022 07:34

Yeah imo adding New Mexico to the base map would actually be a good incentive for new players to buy Texas.

Or even just a bundle for the TX release would make a ton of sense. Texas is a really big deal, and New Mexico is the only thing standing between Texas and the Base Map lol

Base Map + Texas + New Mexico for $40 is what I'd do if I was in charge of selling Texas
Bandit & The Snowman

#3224 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 01 Oct 2022 07:51

Making even a small expansion of the base map into neighboring countries is not something I feel SCS would do. Knowing them, all these ideas are flying too high. Turning paid content into a part of the base map could mean to raise the price of the base game which is a bad idea, or to take away easy income from the oldest map DLC as these regularly get the highest discounts in sales so customers that are ready to get more involved into the game get a higher incentive to spend money. Bundles as such are a good idea, but we haven’t seen any new ones in ATS in a long time; I believe the PNW bundle was the last.
flight50

#3225 Post by flight50 » 01 Oct 2022 08:02

^Agreed. Bundling is the better approach to include more. People don't really like price hikes when they know a cheaper price existed at some point. Another problem adding New Mexico as part of base map is the corridor driving. The current base map is fairly compact as it. Arizona is really a freebie. It was meant to be paid. So technically the base map is California+Nevada.

Corridor would be the same problem seasoned players had before Oregon came. I agree that NM promotes Texas but so does a bundle. The best bundle that includes Texas could come next year and that is OK+TX+NM. If Kansas and Nebraska follows, its up to the new comers to not make it corridor driving. Bundles should be the bigger push for ATS though. Seasoned players are funding new dlc's year 1. Newcomers are the ones that get the biggest discounts. But as a seasoned player, I have zero patience to wait even beyond a day one release. Once a map is out, I want it. I'm playing it day one. Discounts don't interest the dedicated fan base.
PBandJ

#3226 Post by PBandJ » 01 Oct 2022 12:19

No one really likes price hikes on anything, but they are inevitable. What product out in the real world has not increased in price these days unfortunately ? I like the new things that SCS provides but don't include me in the group that is not interested in discounts on anything out there. Momma didn't raise a fool.....:)

I really don't see bundling happening much before the east coast, but possibly maybe some of the east side of the midwest. If the states are smaller, they could always include more coverage of the states to keep the price similar. More secondary roads, historical sites, etc etc. The time frame could be the same on release of other states except Texas, but would include much more in them for the same price. Just my 2 pennies worth.....:)

Still patiently waiting on Tuning packs for ATS.....:) These could bring in some money for SCS.
Madkine
Global moderator

#3227 Post by Madkine » 01 Oct 2022 13:31

@PBandJ We've already had several map bundles. I believe what you are thinking of are multiple states in 1 DLC.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Shiva

#3228 Post by Shiva » 01 Oct 2022 13:47

Tennessee and Kentucky.
Those I put in a multi state DLC's.

1.46 might not contain anything regarding the base map?
Or would it be possible that SCS waits closer to open beta, to announce it?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
oldmanclippy

#3229 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Oct 2022 14:46

Yeah we need to come up with a better word for steam bundles vs states coming with another state(s) on release. A mutli-pack? Idk lol

I'm thinking phase 3 is a 2023 thing. It's likely that the rebuild team hasn't gotten much help with Texas trying to get out the door. But once Texas is out, they should be able to spare some people to go back and work on the rebuild. I'm not expecting anything base map for 1.46. Probably 1.47 or 1.48 depending on how far away that is.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#3230 Post by flight50 » 01 Oct 2022 15:03

^I'm going 50/50 for phase 3 hitting 1.46. If no mention of it comes this upcoming week, phase 3 goes to 2023. Its now October and we are on the limits of open beta needing to be released. It'll have to come next week if Texas is going for early/mid November. So if the base map is to get a spotlight before the xmas stream, it will have to get a blog next week I'd imagine. So far we get US-20 and that might be it as far as additional roads.

The Bay Area would actually be pretty sweet for the base map for the up coming xmas event. Some of us push thru the bad part of I-80 in Nevada in order to incorporate East of Nevada on our travels. But man would fast tracking I-80 be a sweet deal. It plays into the favor of all the newer dlcs East of the base map. If 2023 brings us OK, KS and NE, that is another state connected to I-80. Omaha to San Francisco's rework would be an awesome trip but there's Nevada pulling down the quality level. Some people will go around Nevada, some will go thru Nevada. But one thing for sure is that SCS will have to tackle it sooner than later. I still think now is better than later. There shouldn't be a big rush to get to Southern California.

The longer it takes to get to Southern California the more the rest of the map gets developed. The more the development on the rest of the map gets, the more can be thrown into each phase of California, Nevada and Arizona. I much rather the phased concept than just trying to knock it all out at once. What happens if people need to get pulled again. That would kinda suck if they tried tackling an entire state.

Return to “General discussion about the game”