Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Optional Features

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3961 Post by Optional Features » 24 Mar 2023 16:44

GinXeng wrote: 24 Mar 2023 03:23 Right and still looking nothing like irl, thats what I'm talking about. With google maps being a thing, there is no excuse to get it wrong.
I mean they missed Siskyou Pass twice, once in the original build and once in the rework. Nothing would surprise me at this point lol.
paytonsnewheart

#3962 Post by paytonsnewheart » 25 Mar 2023 02:12

Sara wrote: 24 Mar 2023 14:10
paytonsnewheart wrote: 23 Mar 2023 04:28 Yes, I know that, but he mentioned interstates to get to Chicago.
Let's just say we had all the states released, and the base maps are in the current state. Are you willing to travel north from Sacramento to Seattle for the I-90 just to head east?
It makes sense. I just thought I-80 and I-90 would eventually connect, that's all.
Heart Transplant Recipient
Make-A-Wish Kid
World Of Trucks Profile
Steam Profile
----------------------
Ohio Discussion Thread
flight50

#3963 Post by flight50 » 25 Mar 2023 02:30

Technically 80 and 90 do cross but not in Chicago. It's East of Gary Indiana where they cross but they stay separate interstates.
explosion65

#3964 Post by explosion65 » 25 Mar 2023 03:27

flight50 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 02:30 Technically 80 and 90 do cross but not in Chicago. It's East of Gary Indiana where they cross but they stay separate interstates.
This is actually incorrect. According to the Wikipedia page on Interstate 80, it is concurrent with Interstate 90 from Portage, IN (just east of Gary, IN) to Elyria, OH near Cleveland where they then separate with I-90 heading to Erie, PA and I-80 continuing towards Youngstown, OH.

I believe the I-80/I-90 concurrency is in fact the longest in the Interstate system.
paytonsnewheart

#3965 Post by paytonsnewheart » 25 Mar 2023 04:42

Sorry, but what was that?
Heart Transplant Recipient
Make-A-Wish Kid
World Of Trucks Profile
Steam Profile
----------------------
Ohio Discussion Thread
flight50

#3966 Post by flight50 » 25 Mar 2023 06:57

explosion65 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 03:27
flight50 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 02:30 Technically 80 and 90 do cross but not in Chicago. It's East of Gary Indiana where they cross but they stay separate interstates.
This is actually incorrect. According to the Wikipedia page on Interstate 80, it is concurrent with Interstate 90 from Portage, IN (just east of Gary, IN) to Elyria, OH near Cleveland where they then separate with I-90 heading to Erie, PA and I-80 continuing towards Youngstown, OH.

I believe the I-80/I-90 concurrency is in fact the longest in the Interstate system.
Wiki is edited by people like you and so its not always so accurate either. I-80 can be traced all the way up to Ripely St. in North of Lake Station, Indiana. I-80 runs concurrent with I-94 up to that point and does something weird. Then I-94 crosses I-90 and I-80 picks back up at that point. At that cross, there is no interchange to merge, it just does something weird. Now I didn't jump on Google Street view to look into it deeper but I-80 disappears from Google Maps from Ripely St up to where 94 crosses 90. That is the cross I'm referring to. I never said anything about concurrent though so I'm not denying that but I did say they do cross (not in Chicago). They do run concurrent for some time Eastbound but like I stated, they do separate.

edit. Okay I jumped into Google Street view and followed I-80 which ends at exit 16. There is a little bypass to merge into I-90 that way. This explains how I-80 continues on. So yeah they don't really cross there like I was thinking but they do however separate back out eventually like I was mentioning.

@paytonsnewheart I assume you mean what is concurrent? That means road names share a common path. The roads merge. This is when you see one road have 2 or more road names. Whether its interstates, US Highways, State Highways, Loops or Spurs.
Last edited by flight50 on 25 Mar 2023 07:19, edited 2 times in total.
flight50

#3968 Post by flight50 » 25 Mar 2023 07:10

^You are only showing they are concurrent. I never said they were not concurrent so your not really proving anything. What I was referring to is the blue cross. The red shows I-80 and I-90 separated out before this blue cross. The one red East of the blue cross is then concurrent and then separates later just West of Cleveland.

[ external image ]

At any rate, the more states that pile on East of Nevada, the more critical I-80 in Nevada becomes. It just makes sense to go ahead and rebuild at least I-80 in Nevada to come before Nebraska and Iowa. Surely Nebraska will arrive within the next 12-18 months. We don't know what follows Kansas yet. Chicago is not to far away and that trip to San Francisco is not going to win SCS any brownie points if fans are forced to make that trip thru an unworked Nevada.
Vinnie Terranova

#3969 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 25 Mar 2023 07:27

What exactly do you mean...? At the intersection I-80 / I-90 with the I-94 you can see that the I-80 and the I-90 are clearly not separated:

[ external image ]
rbsanford

#3970 Post by rbsanford » 25 Mar 2023 07:35

I think the confusion here is with the western end of the 80/90 concurrency in Lake Station. I-80 merges onto I-90 where the 90 is a toll route, so instead of having a conventional interchange with ramps going every which way, traffic moving from one highway to the other is routed along a short bit of road that should have a toll booth, or at least a toll gantry, but I don't see either, so it just looks like a weird interchange. The 90 and the 80 don't really cross, because when their concurrency ends in eastern Ohio, the 90 is still north of the 80; it's I-94 that crosses the 90 twice, first after their concurrency through Chicago, then at Lake Station where the 80, having run concurrent, does a TOTSO.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that fast-tracking I-80 is the way to go. Pushing up I-10 might also be a good idea; maybe, with the rework team getting larger (and maybe even some DLC mappers joining in now that, IMO, the map is big enough for expansion to not be too high a priority), a second team could break away to redo southern Arizona and SoCal in 1-2 phases each. This way, New California is also pleasantly reached from Texas and the Gulf Coast states; at the very least, the rural roads could be done first, with Tucson, Phoenix, and the LA/Inland Empire/San Diego megalopolis being the subjects of their own phases at a later date. The SoCal megalopolis would probably deserve its own phase, just looking at how much work needs to be done.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.

Return to “General discussion about the game”