Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2451 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 18 May 2022 05:21

angrybirdseller wrote: 17 May 2022 23:15but paid maps should be more priority.
Why should paid maps have priority above the rebuild of the base map? The way I see it is this: the base map is being rebuild from the ground up. This means that it actually becomes a complete new map. Actually I'd rather have the base map being rebuild in a short period of time with new map DLCs being postponed than the base map being rebuild in small phases during several years. Because the longer it takes for the base map being rebuild, the longer we have an ugly I-80 in Nevada, an ugly Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc, bad repeating textures all over the place, bad Sierra Nevada mountains, no drop on the I-15 near Primm, etc, etc.
Can we avoid California, Nevada and Arizona? What do you think? Ofcourse not. It's a too important area. It's the southwest of the United States. I want to drive in that part of the United States. I don't want to avoid that area.
angrybirdseller

#2452 Post by angrybirdseller » 18 May 2022 05:41

Paid maps being in revenue and keep rebuild going. SCS not charity they money to pay bills.

Misread what I said, add couple people to rebuild team and let three other teams build the map DLC. It's going to be phased in over the next couple years the rebuild. Still, scs push map east ward after Texas. It's one rebuild team and three others map production teams.

California won't be done till 2024 at rate they are going.

Still, paid maps are essential keeping people employed over the long term.
Vinnie Terranova

#2453 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 18 May 2022 05:56

Yeah, I know that SCS has to pay bills. But I'm not talking for SCS, I'm talking for myself. I don't know how many DLCs SCS has to release per year to pay their bills. But in case they have enough money I'd rather see them give priority to the rebuild than to new map DLCs. And only SCS can decide how much priority can be given to the rebuild. But again, I'm not talking for SCS, I'm talking for myself.
angrybirdseller

#2454 Post by angrybirdseller » 18 May 2022 05:59

Rather have new map DLC as rebuild will be done in phases that only practical way to do it. I am fine with old parts of the map as accept it things as they are these were built even before Arizona DLC.
Optional Features

#2455 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 07:27

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 18 May 2022 05:56 Yeah, I know that SCS has to pay bills. But I'm not talking for SCS, I'm talking for myself. I don't know how many DLCs SCS has to release per year to pay their bills. But in case they have enough money I'd rather see them give priority to the rebuild than to new map DLCs. And only SCS can decide how much priority can be given to the rebuild. But again, I'm not talking for SCS, I'm talking for myself.
There's a strange assumption in this community that SCS has unlimited potential to sell unlimited map dlcs for an unlimited time. Time will tell if that is a true assumption, but I don't think it is.

I cannot imagine the Kansas and Iowa dlcs will get near as much fanfare and excitement as Texas, and those are only a couple states away if stair step expansion continues.

SCS needs to find a new source of revenue (hello cargo packs, vintage trucks, extreme roads dlc, etc) to supplement where DLCs stand. There is almost no Europe left, and barring something insane, most of what is left of the US isn't that exciting, not until the East Coast at least which will be very odd if the current mapping strategies are maintained.
flight50

#2456 Post by flight50 » 18 May 2022 11:16

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 18 May 2022 05:21 Can we avoid California, Nevada and Arizona? What do you think? Ofcourse not. It's a too important area.
I think you meant this opposite of what this reads. It think you're saying can SCS not rework the base map vs can we avoid it. People already avoid it by not driving there. So can we avoid it, yes. Can SCS avoid it, no.

The base map being phased is better than nothing but they can't stop making money from everyone. Base map only brings in money from new people. Putting all eggs in one basket to not make any income from seasoned players is asking for criticism. People already get mad at how long maps take. So postponing map dlc's on purpose doesn't make sense to favor map rebuilds. 2 paid teams and 2 rebuild is the best that can happen. Otherwise, 3 paid teams and one rebuild.
VTXcnME

#2457 Post by VTXcnME » 18 May 2022 12:54

seriousmods wrote: 18 May 2022 07:27 There's a strange assumption in this community that SCS has unlimited potential to sell unlimited map dlcs for an unlimited time. Time will tell if that is a true assumption, but I don't think it is.

I cannot imagine the Kansas and Iowa dlcs will get near as much fanfare and excitement as Texas, and those are only a couple states away if stair step expansion continues.

SCS needs to find a new source of revenue (hello cargo packs, vintage trucks, extreme roads dlc, etc) to supplement where DLCs stand. There is almost no Europe left, and barring something insane, most of what is left of the US isn't that exciting, not until the East Coast at least which will be very odd if the current mapping strategies are maintained.
Agree. 100%

Especially with how messed up the east coast maps are gonna be under the current map scale. SCS should at least start thinking about how to address that.

If user guess-timates are correct and us map is going to take another 8ish years to finish- think about how outdated the graphics/game engine/prefabs might look by that time. Even if SCS changed to a more modern game engine today- in 8yrs time that's still going to be behind the then current status quo. The graphics now are marginal in some situations- but it's tolerable because ATS fills a niche market. If there aren't some solid upgrades to draw distances, texture qualities, weather/skybox in the next few years I wonder how long the novelty of the game holds? I'm certain there'll be a diehard few that'll buy dlc until the wheels come off the SCS bus- but most users will move on and leave SCS where they wanna live- in the past.

I know they are a small developer- but there will come a point folks stop buying content if the graphics engine gets too far outdated. Can you imagine buying dlc today for xbox1 or ps2 level graphics? No. In another 5 years how much further will game graphic design move? Maybe a little or maybe a lot. I'm not aure how long scs really has left- but I do know it'll be shortened if they can't try to improve graphic quality/texture quality etc.... that dog won't hunt. Period.
Rasp91

#2458 Post by Rasp91 » 18 May 2022 13:43

Why would eastern states have to be messed up right away? When I look at how they managed to make the state of Washington, which is similar in size to some eastern states:)

PS: Sorry, google translator
I use google translator 🇨🇿🇺🇸
TheAmir259

#2459 Post by TheAmir259 » 18 May 2022 14:09

The bigger problem with rectifying this is that the scaling have to be redone again, and you should know real well that at this point, its a bit too much already to rescale the map again
Two wrongs don't make a right, three lefts...do :D
SenseFM

#2460 Post by SenseFM » 18 May 2022 14:22

I wouldn't worry for the East Coast states. It's true they are the most densely populated ones in the US, but as inhabited as they are they have still a lower population density than most of Europe. However, there's no doubt that the Boston-Washington corridor will be a challenge, that's going to be one large city after another.

Return to “General discussion about the game”