Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2411 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 14 May 2022 17:30

@flight50 I hope that phase 5 will be finished way before 2025... 2025 is three years from now...
Xaagon

#2412 Post by Xaagon » 14 May 2022 18:21

I very much look forward to a rebuilt Nevada. I've taken I-80 through there many times (and US-50 a few times) in real life. Going west to east there's something magical in a Mad Max kind of way about everything suddenly turning into desert at Reno, and more magic at Wendover when you enter the salt flats. At Salt Lake City you return to planet earth.

It's hard to capture this feeling with the limited scale of the ATS map, but I think they could get close by bringing Nevada up to current quality levels. Nevada could become an ATS favorite for those that like desert mountain landscapes. For example, the section of I-80 east of Wells was built later using what they developed for Utah.

I speculate that Phase 3 is going to be Bay Area focused. Perhaps Phase 4 could send at least part of the team east. I believe they've committed to finishing US-50 which means work at least to Carson City.
rbsanford

#2413 Post by rbsanford » 14 May 2022 18:49

Since there are assets for a reworked US 395 in the game files, it does seem likely and logical that Phase IV will cover everything east of the Sierra Nevada and probably north of the 58, maybe with US 50's crossing. I just hope that Carson City will be nudged north, so there will be room for a more realistic 395, a better aligned 50, and a more realistic distance between it and Reno; with I-80 rerouted to the north a bit with 1.44, there should be room to still fit that bit along Lake Tahoe. I also hope that update will properly mark CA 14 between Mojave and Bradys, and introduce Red Rock Canyon.

Maybe the San Joaquin Valley could be reworked in the same update. Just the roads, of course; the scenery should mostly be pretty open and prairie-like, except for the necessary scenic cities.

Now that I think about it, Phase IV could go any way: down the coast and the Coast Ranges, including Salinas Valley; down the San Joaquin Valley; along the east of the Sierra; or even covering all of I-80 in Nevada, like so many people are requesting.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#2414 Post by flight50 » 15 May 2022 01:37

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 14 May 2022 17:30 @flight50 I hope that phase 5 will be finished way before 2025... 2025 is three years from now...
I agree. What I speculated is worst case. Currently what we are getting is one phase a year. So if a full team doesn't stick with California and gets pulled again for something else that is paid, the California's completion gets stretched out. That's why I mentioned, depends on when Ph3 releases. Everything is a domino effect after that.
TheAmir259

#2415 Post by TheAmir259 » 15 May 2022 05:32

rbsanford wrote: 14 May 2022 18:49 Now that I think about it, Phase IV could go any way: down the coast and the Coast Ranges, including Salinas Valley; down the San Joaquin Valley; along the east of the Sierra; or even covering all of I-80 in Nevada, like so many people are requesting.
Terminology wise, no. Phase 4 is definitely still California, especially solidified by just this word alone
which included Phase 1 of the anticipated 'California rework'
Phase 4 is still Phase 4 California, they never said "Phase 4 Rework" refers to the whole basemap rework phases. Stop overthinking and read properly. That's also why no one else ever mention this anymore, i'm slowly becoming the police here regarding this ain't i :lol: ? Although i do think that some parts of the bordering areas like especially the Death Valley's route might be reworked, in which parts of Nevada could be reworked as well as a result, be it small or not.

I also do agree that if Nevada is to be delayed, at this rate people can just ignore the others, only buy the PNW pack (which includes Idaho, Washington & Oregon) and the New Mexico pack, in addition to Texas, for their initial feeling of "coast-to-coast" drive and the rest of the DLCs just get ignored. You get what I'm trying to get at?
Two wrongs don't make a right, three lefts...do :D
Sara

#2416 Post by Sara » 15 May 2022 05:58

flight50 wrote: 15 May 2022 01:37 I agree. What I speculated is worst case. Currently what we are getting is one phase a year. So if a full team doesn't stick with California and gets pulled again for something else that is paid, the California's completion gets stretched out. That's why I mentioned, depends on when Ph3 releases. Everything is a domino effect after that.
Well, lets see, the first phase was back in 1.41 and that was released in June 15th, last year. Phase 2 wasn't that long ago with the 1.44 update. So I could say Phase 3 could be in 1.47 and possibly in April next year. Just a guess here.
JoeAlex23

#2417 Post by JoeAlex23 » 15 May 2022 06:55

You can't go based on that, the "phases" were supposed to go faster because they weren't going to touch the cities on the first ones, but after finding out that it will be more work for no reason, Phase 1 basically became Phase 2, so technically, Phase 1 doesn't even count anymore, and Jakub said (the map leader of the rework) they got a lot of work done for what will be Phase 3 before 90% of his team went to work on Texas, if Texas is on track to release this year and they move mappers back to the rework team, we could see Phase 3 on 1.45 or 1.46 before the year ends.
Vinnie Terranova

#2418 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 15 May 2022 07:16

About Redding: I didn't expected it to be that big in a 1:20 scale map. I hope this is a good sign for upcoming cities as I like big cities. But if you compare Redding with other cities, isn't Redding a little bit too big?

Btw, one of the best part of this rebuild is this industrial area between San Francisco and Sacramento. It really feels like a big, busy industrial complex. @SCS: very well done! This is also true for the whole rebuild! It is way better than the original part of California.
flight50

#2419 Post by flight50 » 15 May 2022 10:41

JoeAlex23 wrote: 15 May 2022 06:55 if Texas is on track to release this year and they move mappers back to the rework team, we could see Phase 3 on 1.45 or 1.46 before the year ends.
Phase 3 with 1.45 is more likely out even if Texas released before Montana. Not enough time for mappers to kick it out if they are just coming off Texas. 1.45 could be anytime this Summer. September at the latest. Fingers are pointing to Montana coming first so Texas weill still occupy those base map rebuilders. Most of the rebuild team mappers are in Texas though. So if Texas is a late 2022 release, the mappers go back to rebuilding when they come back from holidays and their work doesn't show up until Spring 2023. We still don't have US-14 for Wyoming and that was teased on the 2021 xmas stream, 5 months ago. Same as ph2 in which we just go. Its taking awhile even for it. Now its possible they abandon US-14 temporarily which is why it didn't make 1.44. If we wash out Ph1 and really only consider ph2, it could still be a Spring 2023 til we see Ph3. With only 2 senior city builders, there is San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and Stockton to do. Those same seniors more than likely are the 2 that stay behind to polish up what the juniors left behind. If some of those cities where already started and far along like Jakub stated, we are in better shape. But the question is, when can ph3 kick out and how much work can those 2 people plus Jakub do until the rest of the group retuns.

@Vinnie Terranova Yes for the scale, Redding is quite large. That is the first thing I said when we got it. Buttttt, I like it. In comparison to other cities in the game, Redding is like a mega city in spread but it maintains the small city vibe. But if there is space......then I can see why the devs are providing a little more city. Its kind of like Wyoming cities. A few are larger than they should be. At least the ones on I-80 like Evanston, Laramie and Rawlins. Cheyenne is good. I think its a sign for the mid sized and smaller cities to be somewhat bigger than it should be to get more out of them. I'm betting both Texas and Montana will do the same for remote cities. Not necessary a bad thing if you don't compare these large cities to every other city in the game. I view it as more industry opportunities. The depots are spread out further from city center in Redding so it makes the city larger. Its almost the same as a remote depot for a nearby scenic city.
VTXcnME

#2420 Post by VTXcnME » 15 May 2022 10:59

@JoeAlex23 I'm really hoping after Texas, any map teams continue moving the map east versus being re-designated to a rebuild/rework team. We've gone 2 years with 2 states released (and no sign of that being any different in the coming year).... that pace has got to pick up.

Return to “General discussion about the game”