Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2441 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 17 May 2022 08:16

I hope SCS will not push for Florida, partly for the same reasons as they should not push for Texas, but also for the fact that we will get an ugly L-shaped map if SCS decide to push for Florida.
Shiva

#2442 Post by Shiva » 17 May 2022 13:05

3 map DLC teams would be okay.
The line would not be a straight north/south. In my theory.
But rather a bit northwest/southeast.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#2443 Post by flight50 » 17 May 2022 13:35

^Yessss this. That's the stair step I always talk about. Northwest to Southeast doesn't make much of an L shape. The biggest benefit is new biomes constantly introducing themselves.

Thanks for that sector map @Shiva. Yeah I count about 10 sectors total from Reno to Wells. That's a lot more than I expected but it's just one road.

The Oakland and San Francisco sector is a pita. That's a lot of work and only a senior should deal with it. Same for San Jose. Phase 3 should be awesome though.

Reno should move further Northeast. Lots of play room with I-80 which can be bent and shaped fairly easily. That provides space for Carson City, US-50, I-580, Lake Tahoe and US-95.
Shiva

#2444 Post by Shiva » 17 May 2022 14:31

Regarding Reno, depends on how they redo it and if the road towards Truckee is finished or not. It does have wriggle room.
My biggest wtf, on I-80, is the placement of Carlin Tunnels, after the scale redo.
They are next to Battle Mountain and NV-305. Instead of close to Elko.
Regarding the I-80 redo you want flight50, I think it could be done in 1 step.
Hopefully, with the Fallon Rest area at I-80 exit 83. And preparations for US-95 towards Fallon.
Unless SCS adds Alt US-50 instead?
Or maybe they wont add either?

Phase 3? minimum 4 sectors. Maybe up to +15 sectors, if all the way to Santa Maria and Bakersfield.
Some of the rescale areas are quite nicely done.

Santa Maria could need a slight redo tho. To make it look even more IRL.
Either something like this https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.9248 ... m0!1m0!3e0
Or maybe this https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.9236 ... m2!4m1!3e0 ?

Well, the first is closeish to what it is now. Exits 167 and 170 from US-101.
The 2nd, would use Exit 169 instead of current 167, as the southern entry/exit of US-101.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
oldmanclippy

#2445 Post by oldmanclippy » 17 May 2022 21:43

From the beginning, I think the reworks would have been better suited starting in northern Nevada and working in a crescent around it. If we could start over, I would have planned the phases to be something along the lines of:

Phase 1: Northern Nevada
Phase 2: Southern Nevada
Phase 3: Northern California
Phase 4: Bay Area
Phase 5: Central California
Phase 6: Northern Arizona
Phase 7: Southern Arizona
Phase 8: Southern California

So more or less working northeast to southwest on the base map. This would have required a DLC sized team full time to get on average 1-2 phases per year out the door, over the course of 5 to 6 years. As it stands now based on current progress adjusting for the impact of Texas pulling CA mappers, I think we could be looking at something like:

Phase 1: Northern California
Phase 2: Northern California
Phase 3: Bay Area
Phase 4: Central California
Phase 5: Southern California
Phase 6: Southern California
Phase 7: Northern Nevada
Phase 8: Southern Nevada
Phase 9: Northern Arizona
Phase 10: Central Arizona
Phase 11: Southern Arizona

If we can get on a 2 release per year cadence after Phase 3 (or a 2 phase per release, 1 release per year cadence), then we'll be in good shape. Otherwise the benefit of SCS reworking the base map will be much smaller if it takes upwards of 5 or 6 years *from now* to be finished.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Sara

#2446 Post by Sara » 17 May 2022 22:11

I think the revamping should be improved to a larger scale once Texas is free'd up.
angrybirdseller

#2447 Post by angrybirdseller » 17 May 2022 23:15

They can add 3 to 4 more people to rebuild team, but paid maps should be more priority. Then add two new hires to rebuild map team, and then be far less shuffling people around. After Texas build all states surrounding it first.
rbsanford

#2448 Post by rbsanford » 18 May 2022 01:16

I still think the rework should have a fairly high priority. With the West pretty much finished with Montana, and Texas finally in the game, I think the size of the map will be sufficiently large to switch gears a bit and put more attention to the base map. I'm not talking about halting the development of new states, just trimming down the Texas superteam, putting the smaller (now "normal size") team to work on the next state, and bolstering the base map team with the people from Texas, and maybe putting any new hires in that area as well. The longer the base map states are outdone, I think the more people will complain; also, new players will be likely to start with the base map, so it should leave a good impression.

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't be the end of the world if new state production was put on hold after Texas and Montana and everyone pulled together behind the base map. Remember that this is the second base map rework: the first was the rescale, which was announced in late June of 2016, and came out in mid December (not counting the month-long open beta). The announcement blog showed WIP screenshots of the new map, so let's assume work started in May; we're looking at maybe seven months of development, with a smaller team than there is now. Granted, the Rescale was mostly just moving existing locations further apart and adding new roads, with fewer areas being completely reworked, but still: if everyone worked together on the base map rework, how soon could it be finished? A year?

Also, what will the rework team do when their work is finished? Would they add requested roads or other improvements/updates to DLC maps, or would they form another DLC map team?
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
supersobes
Global moderator

#2449 Post by supersobes » 18 May 2022 01:21

I'm a little bit torn on if I would prefer for SCS to continue with California or if I think they should jump over to Nevada. On one paw, I would really love to see California done. After seeing what they've done with the reworks in Northern California, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do the Bay Area and Southern California. It would also be nice to be able to return to driving some of those heavily trucked corridors like CA-99, I-5, and US-101. But on the other paw, I would really like to see them do I-80 in Nevada and all the cities along that corridor. The only way to travel from the newly reworked areas in California to Salt Lake City and points east/southeast in the newer states is to drive through Nevada on I-80, unless you want to take a rather unrealistic detour up through Oregon and Idaho to jump on I-84. Having the I-80 corridor redone now would be a good way of supporting the recently reworked areas by providing a direct connection from Utah and Wyoming. If SCS does Northern Nevada in the next phase and then the Bay Area in the phase after that, the portion of I-80 that is currently present in ATS all the way from San Fransico to Cheyenne will be up to par with current mapping standards. And with this road being an important route for the trucking industry, that might be a better option than waiting until all of California is done.
flight50

#2450 Post by flight50 » 18 May 2022 04:24

Halting map dlc production? That is the last thing to do. ATS must go back to multiple map dlc releases per year. People are acquainted with reworks being phased. No need to rush it in favor of zero map dlc's. People have nothing to complain about when they know things are getting remade. 2 new maps and 2 rebuild teams is the worst case. But all four on base map? Nahhhh. That's not good. Where's the map income to come from for a year from seasoned players in ATS?

No map at all hurts ATS. More people will complain about no map vs still having the base map in bad quality. It's easy to avoid the base map. But its tough to digest no map at all.

Return to “General discussion about the game”