Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

parasaurolophus67

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3931 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 23 Mar 2023 00:33

Guess I'll be a rare one that is still oppose to it till California is done. v:
DracoTorre

#3932 Post by DracoTorre » 23 Mar 2023 01:08

Finishing California before Nevada connects Los Angeles and San Diego to Chicago via I-15 and I-80. Plus you have I-40 and I-10 over to New Mexico and Texas. Either way SCS chooses to go (I-80 through Nevada first or finish California first) is fine by me.
GinXeng

#3933 Post by GinXeng » 23 Mar 2023 01:35

flight50 wrote: 22 Mar 2023 23:31 Compared to mods like Sierra Nevada, that was SCS's problem. They were trying to be too accurate. They are finding out that its okay to not match Google maps. California phase 2 branched out for some Reforma style which is good. In order to get more road in with more distance in between point A and B, they can not be accurate. One thing Reforma's Sierra Nevada proved is that people want to enjoy the map, have fun while driving it. At 1:20 scale, impossible to capture everything. But capturing just enough, creates the desired vibe when a tad more road can make the game. It makes a huge difference when a summit can get in when there is adequate grades due to SCS squeezing in 1-2 extra miles of road.

I honestly don't think accuracy is the key to aim for anymore. Use Google Maps as a guide and massage it accordingly to what needs to make the map. When it comes to junction and interchanges, those are the ones to be fairly accurate though. But curvy roads on Google maps, should be taken advantage of at 1:20 scale.
when I'm talking about accuracy, I'm talking about junctions and interchanges forget about scaling, some of them could be done better but it seems they choose to ignore minor details. For example, if this is supposed to be (Unconfirmed) https://www.google.com.au/maps/@37.5286 ... 384!8i8192 of picture https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/i ... 920/05.jpg , could be done more accurately imo, but thats just me being very picky.
flight50

#3934 Post by flight50 » 23 Mar 2023 01:52

Gotcha. Yeah interchanges and junctions need to be 92% accurate or better. I can't put lanes and traffic lights in that equation though. Sense of scale varies per city. The largest cities....more lanes 3-4 is what we get. Smaller cities and towns 1-2 lane junctions.
paytonsnewheart

#3935 Post by paytonsnewheart » 23 Mar 2023 02:59

flight50 wrote: 23 Mar 2023 00:18 Nope. The more people that see I-80 beneficial to linking up the road to Chicago, the better. Phase 3 bringing the rest of I-80 makes Nevada's I-80 necessary for getting in next. Nebraska could follow Kansas which then forces people that only want higher quality maps 2 options. Don't go to California or go wayyyy out the way to access Northern California via Oregon.
Sorry if this isn't related to the topic, but what about I-90?
Heart Transplant Recipient
Make-A-Wish Kid
World Of Trucks Profile
Steam Profile
----------------------
Ohio Discussion Thread
paytonsnewheart

#3937 Post by paytonsnewheart » 23 Mar 2023 04:28

Yes, I know that, but he mentioned interstates to get to Chicago.
Make-A-Wish Kid
World Of Trucks Profile
Steam Profile
----------------------
Ohio Discussion Thread
flight50

#3938 Post by flight50 » 23 Mar 2023 04:38

@paytonsnewheart The argument is East to West interstates in the base map that we use to get to higher quality maps. The only valid interstates that meet that criteria for the base map is I-80, I-40, I-10 and I-8. I-5 and I-15 are more or less North to South. I've posted the best argument for fast tracking I-80 which is the snip it below. I-80 is severed when it comes to good quality for the base map. We just might get Nebraska after Kansas and people will want to travel from Omaha to San Francisco (I-80 road to Chicago). Nevada's I-80 is a weak link in quailty.

We will only have Northern California fully rebuild with phase 3 and that leaves a strong need to fast track I-80 in Nevada. Considering it will take awhile before I-10, I-8 and I-40 are valid, Phase 1 Nevada is similarly and promotes all dlc's that I-80 benefit. Even when I-10, I-80 and I-40 are valid, Arizona isn't as bad as what California and Nevada are. Arizona holds up until California and Nevada can be rebuild.

[ external image ]
paytonsnewheart

#3939 Post by paytonsnewheart » 23 Mar 2023 05:05

Gotcha. I don't read all of the posts on here due to my limited time, so I thought you were talking about interstates that lead to Chicago so we can get there in a reasonable time frame. But yes, I can definitely see the age difference in Nevada. Arizona is okay, but I can start to see its age.
Make-A-Wish Kid
World Of Trucks Profile
Steam Profile
----------------------
Ohio Discussion Thread
Gormanbros

#3940 Post by Gormanbros » 23 Mar 2023 05:40

The signage really helps Arizona feel less dated than California and Nevada.

It's also the only state to have all of its counties marked with signs in game, and the only one where that could realistically happen, given how big its counties are compared to other states, so it'll always have a special place in my heart for ATS.

Due to the rebuild team starting on the opposite end of the base map I haven't given too much thought to what Arizona could benefit from, but at the very least I hope to see the unique daylight saving time situation there be implemented. Currently the whole state is in mountain standard time in ATS, while the Navajo Nation in the northeast should be in mountain daylight time, as they recognize daylight saving time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/arizona-no-dst.html

Return to “General discussion about the game”