Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

rbsanford

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3941 Post by rbsanford » 23 Mar 2023 06:01

Sara wrote: 23 Mar 2023 00:29 And since Nevada is so vast and more open compared to California, it shouldn't need a couple of phases for the northern half of Nevada.
Yeah, two phases, at most, but I can see them banging it out in one. It's just I-80, US 93 north of Wells, and US 95 north of Winnemucca, all through rugged but sparse scenery. Jackpot, Elko and Winnemucca are fairly small cities, so Reno would be the challenge, and there could stand to be more scenery towns, like Fernley, Clark (for its Tesla plant), and Lovelock (for its truck stop; right now, the highway between Reno and Elko has practically no services; the Beowawe Rest Areas and/or the Emigrant Pass parking areas would also be great for this). Maybe also the Fallon Rest Area, so we have the connection with US 95 to Tonopah set up for the next phase. With the rework team back to a proper size, I think it can be done, and would be worth the little longer wait.

Something I hope they do with northern Nevada is work in the Getchell and Goldstrike Mines for Winnemucca and Elko, respectively, like I have in my old base map rework concept map. They're some nice big gold mines located in the middle of nowhere, and could make for some interesting jobs.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
axl135

#3942 Post by axl135 » 23 Mar 2023 12:57

@rbsanford The Nevada I-80 corridor could certainly use more travel stops and rest areas, especially ones that accommodate LCV’s. Right now, there is no place to stop when pulling a long, articulating trailer combination between Reno and Wells. The only exception I can think of is Winnemucca, where it is possible to park a lengthy trailer combo across the street from the hotel, though it is kind of a hassle.
harishw8r

#3943 Post by harishw8r » 23 Mar 2023 15:52

Still wondering how they are gonna pull off US-50 without reworking Carson. What if it is one of the things they have up in their sleeves?
Tristman

#3944 Post by Tristman » 23 Mar 2023 16:04

I expect they will make the US-50 connect to the junction of US-395 and I-580 in Carson City, or a little earlier, to the unmarked road that leads from Lake Tahoe to Carson City.
I don't think they can connect it to the area directly next to the lake, because the lake in its current state can't continue to exist with a rework.
flight50

#3945 Post by flight50 » 23 Mar 2023 16:21

@rbsanford Don't forget about US-50 that sweeps across Nevada. So there are actually 4 major roads to deal with. Mines in Nevada are a must have. Those prefabs are much better now. Then there are the solar farms. Get those in. I agree that Nevada will be worth the wait. If I-80 can at the least get fast tracked, I'd take that over completing California first. They need to take their time with Cali.

Or if they want to shift the entire team to Nevada after phase 3 California and go 2 phases for Nevada, I'd be cool with that. I'd go with US-50 and everything North of it. That's Reno as the most complex, then there is Elko, Ely and Winnemucca as the marked cities. Then the scenic ones of course.

Then take the entire team back to California for phase 4. Take it down to Bakersfield and Barstow. Remove Oxnard to add more space for LA. Then jump back to Nevada for phase 2 which is everything else. That completes Nevada. Now jump back to Phase 5 California which is everything else all in one huge update. I-15 from Vegas, LA, San Diego, add San Bernardino and El Centro. Phase 5 could take 1.5 years and I'd be cool with that. LA and San Diego must shine. So spend time on them.
flight50

#3946 Post by flight50 » 23 Mar 2023 16:29

harishw8r wrote: 23 Mar 2023 15:52 Still wondering how they are gonna pull off US-50 without reworking Carson. What if it is one of the things they have up in their sleeves?
That's what I was explaining here viewtopic.php?p=1799758#p1799758. I don't think its hard at all connecting to Carson City without reworking Carson. They've connected new stuff to old stuff a few times.
rbsanford

#3947 Post by rbsanford » 23 Mar 2023 16:58

flight50 wrote: 23 Mar 2023 16:21 @rbsanford Don't forget about US-50 that sweeps across Nevada. So there are actually 4 major roads to deal with.
Ah, reading back now I see you were talking about the northern half of Nevada, but I was thinking of the northern third or so (I-80 and everything north). The 50 would make things a bit more complex, because there's another marked city that needs reworking (Ely, ideally with the Robinson Mine), hopefully the new marked city of Fallon, and the towns of Austin and Eureka, at least. Then there's the summits: the 50 across Nevada is like a roller coaster as it crosses all those mountains and valleys.
[ external image ]
Austin and Pinto Summits are musts, but Mt. Airy Summit (with the New Pass canyon) and Robinson Summit would really complete it.

Here's another grade profile section for reference: I-80 from San Francisco to Utah.
[ external image ]
Pequop Summit and Silverzone Pass are already represented in the game to a degree, so the roller-coaster portion is out of the way. The highway to be redone has few elevation changes outside of Golconda Summit and Emigrant Pass, so should be much easier to work on than US 50's wild ride. I still think I-80, its cities, and everything to the north could be done in one phase, but from I-80 to US 6 (or even to Vegas, since there's not much south of the 6) would have to be a different one.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#3948 Post by flight50 » 23 Mar 2023 18:29

Yeah I mentioned Ely above which is off US-50. I was explaining 2 options. I've always advocated to fast track I-80 but its possible to match California on how far South it goes. If they are taking US-50 to Carson City with phase 3 California, they could just do all of US-50 and North of it if the team alternates states (option 2 below)

Option 1 - Just fast track I-80 Nevada after phase 3 California. Then go back and finish all of California. Then go back and complete Nevada, then Arizona.
Option 2 - 2 Phases for Nevada. After phase 3 California, split Nevada in half. Basically at US-50 and North. Then everything else in phase 2 Nevada. This is if they move the entire team to Nevada instead of a just a few people scatters in California and in Nevada.

Either way, they'd have to figure out the terrain for both I-80 and US-50 at some point. If they just fast track I-80, they'd still have to blend South of it to work with the old stuff. Or they can just address both I-80 and US-50 simultaneously and not have to worry about old to new for those elevations. Nevada in one shot will take longer and that's the ultimate easiest. But I don't think Nevada has to be completed before California is. I do favor alternating states using phases though. One year California, the next Nevada. California could be 5 phases at this point. Nevada only needs 2. Arizona could probably take 2-3 phases itself.
A J K 91

#3949 Post by A J K 91 » 23 Mar 2023 18:39

I think when Nevada is completely overhauled it will be one of the best states.
SORRY FOR THE BAD ENGLISH. GOOGLE TRANSLATOR.
flight50

#3950 Post by flight50 » 23 Mar 2023 18:54

^I said the said thing, lol. Nevada was my favorite base map state in 2016. Then New Mexico and better quality started kicking in and I don't even touch Nevada really unless its Vegas.

Return to “General discussion about the game”