Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2482 Post by Shiva » 19 May 2022 00:14

Nono. Way more work. way more.
I, as a noob, I would rather try to do a big city, than start to rescale.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
harishw8r

#2483 Post by harishw8r » 19 May 2022 01:03

seriousmods wrote: 18 May 2022 23:45 Yeah, understood. But less work than making a new city?
Not at all. Rescaling gives 33% longer roads (11% larger area) than we currently have and those are not smaller numbers given the size of the map.

Remember the rescaling they did long back? If they had decided to do that now instead, it would have been impossible.
Optional Features

#2484 Post by Optional Features » 19 May 2022 02:41

Yeah, makes sense.

I wish there were a way to "grab" a city and slide it in one direction, but I don't think the editor supports such a thing.
TheAmir259

#2485 Post by TheAmir259 » 19 May 2022 05:02

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 18 May 2022 20:13 the smallest country/state we have for both games is Luxembourg, i dont see any need to go 1:15 with the current game, disregarding the fact that it is total nonsense to rework everything, AGAIN to a different scale, for this they would have to scrap all planing for future DLCs and delay Texas and Montana, if they start to rework in 1:15 it is stupid to continue to make new DLCs in 1:20, and then the mismatching starts, it might work in ETS2 with the UK but only because it is cut of from the rest of the map
This exactly, i've no idea why after mentioning it once, people just threw that out the window again and disregard this. While we never said anything about 1:1, and admittedly its an idea that'll get us as close as we are to travelling to another galaxy, it should also be noted that the effort required and the results yielded by the last rescaling, in addition to the time taken, is quite a number. And that number is gonna have to grow way more exponentially given that we have plenty more map DLCs now. Rescaling talks and thoughts are not something that can be taken lightly.
Two wrongs don't make a right, three lefts...do :D
Vinnie Terranova

#2486 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 May 2022 06:21

The fact that we are still talking about rescale has to mean something; there has to be a reason that we are still talking about it. I think it's because the 1:20 scale might be a little bit too small and therefore it causes a little bit too much problems. A second reason might be that we are worried about the east coast (dense road network and big cities close to each other).

I don't know how much time and effort it would take to change a 1:20 scale map into a 1:15 or 1:10 scale map. But that's a discussion we shouldn't have at all; that's a discussion for SCS. We, as players, should just be talking about the pros and cons of 1:20 scale versus 1:15 or 1:10 scale; not about the rescaling process itself. Leave that to SCS as an internal discussion.

The discussion I want to have for myself is: how much do I want to invest in ATS with this 1:20 scale, with all its pros and cons? Do I like the rebuild of California? Well, yes, northern California is way better than before the rebuild. Is it perfect? No. Is it good enough? I don't know yet; I haven't driven in northern California that much to answer this question.

But even a more important question for me is this: do I want to invest in ATS after the release of Montana and Texas? Because I'm a little bit worried about the Great Plains. It started with the eastern part of Colorado: I don't think it captured the vibe of what the Great Plains are. Especially I-70 in eastern Colorado doesn't look like the way it looks in real life. So, what about ND, SD, NE and KS to name a few? What about the eastern part of Montana? That's what I'm really worried about. And it probably will affect my descission about whether I still want to invest money in ATS or not. Because with the release of Montana and Texas, and with the rebuild of CA, NV and AZ, the west of the United States is finished. That's the part of the US that I drive most anyway.

Back to the rebuild. A rescale is also a rebuild. So, yes, we can certainly keep mentioning a possible 1:15 or 1:10 rescale. I think there are more pros than cons with a 1:15 or 1:10 rescale. But I'm more concerned about the Great Plains. So far, I like the rebuild of northern California, and I'm looking forward to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Optional Features

#2487 Post by Optional Features » 19 May 2022 07:51

If Wyoming is any hint, the Great Plains will be over urbanized and overly decorative.
Madkine
Global moderator

#2488 Post by Madkine » 19 May 2022 09:02

To rescale all current maps from 1:20 - 1:15 could take 3 years + assuming no new maps were being worked on at the same time.
The rescale has to be implemented on the entire map at once, it can't be done bit by bit.
And once done, new state releases will be slower as each state is now larger than it used to be.

There are more cons than pros with a rescale due to the large effort involved.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
pigbrother

#2489 Post by pigbrother » 19 May 2022 09:09

Maybe it could have been a thing some years ago. By now, the map is too big for that, too much effort, too much money, too much time. Really, if you’re still hoping for a rescale, hope for something more realistic like world peace or smth like this…
I have approximate knowledge of many things
fra_ba

#2490 Post by fra_ba » 19 May 2022 11:09

Does a 1:15 re-scale feel that much difference? UK in ETS2 is there and I don't feel that much difference. And it's worth noting that such re-scale would affect roads between cities and towns compared to the cities. While I'm not inclined toward changing the scale and SCS probably not interested in it, I doubt it will take that much time.

Return to “General discussion about the game”