Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#1501 Post by supersobes » 08 Jan 2022 04:00

I think moving Reno to the north would also be a good way to start the I-80 rebuild in Nevada and California. By moving the city north, that would allow them to get rid of that sharp curve to the east of the city before the weigh station. It would also give them more road length to work with on I-80 going west out of Reno, which means there could be a bit more space to realistically portray the curves and grades in the mountains between Reno and Truckee.
Xaagon

#1502 Post by Xaagon » 09 Jan 2022 06:04

They could also shorten the distance between Carson City and Reno. I haven't driven this road in ATS in quite a while, but I remember the gap between the two feeling bigger than the gap between Colorado Springs and Denver. In reality the gap between CC and Reno is about half the gap between CS and Denver.

That said, a lot of us feel the gap between CS and Denver is too short, so I wouldn't make the gap between CC and Reno any less than that.
rbsanford

#1503 Post by rbsanford » 09 Jan 2022 06:42

The gap between Reno and Carson City is indeed way too big in the game. Carson should be moved north, maybe to where US 50 meets the 580. This would also help the easement of US 50 between Sacramento and Stateline have a more accurate shape; otherwise the highway would trend SE instead of E.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#1504 Post by flight50 » 09 Jan 2022 07:22

Yeah I think moving it North shortens it up a bit. Seems like they tried to stick to Google Maps outline too much with the base map. Mapping has taken a different approach nowadays. US-50 is mis aligned anyways. This also gets US-50 around Lake Tahoe in a better status. Then US-395 can be fixed Southbound. I'm most interested in the US-50 to I-580 route. In game is not realistic at all. It will be nice to get a more realistic intersection. Cruising US-50 from Carson to Sacramento will be a lonnnng time dream come true.

US-95 coming out of Vegas always bothered me too. That all can get fixed and hopefully get all of US-95 in Nevada in. Maybe even South of Vegas can get in. When coming from I-8 or I-10, its helps. Going thru Kingman isn't always ideal. US-15 is out the way. So if US-95 can connect to US-93, great. I haven't check the mapping terrain to see if its possible to fit in US-95 @ US-93.

[ external image ]
rbsanford

#1505 Post by rbsanford » 09 Jan 2022 14:55

Taking US 93 between Vegas and Kingman would be more enjoyable if it were more realistic. Heading north from Kingman, you cross a small summit (Coyote Pass) where the SB port of entry is located, then you set off across a valley. Eventually you'll cross another summit (Householder Pass), and that'll take you on a long, scenic descent to the Black Canyon of the Colorado. In the game there are no summits; you just round a turn and you're at the canyon.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Xaagon

#1506 Post by Xaagon » 09 Jan 2022 16:36

Speaking of Arizona, I don't remember if it was I-40 or I-10, but on one of those it seemed as you travel west towards California you gain significant elevation prior to reaching the Colorado River. I expect with today's ATS standards this will be corrected.
flight50

#1507 Post by flight50 » 09 Jan 2022 18:28

I agree with both rbsanford and Xaagon. Now I have no idea what real life US-93, nor I-40/I-10 is like, but if SCS is going to just rebuild it all, those inaccurate roads will get a HUGE boost with today’s mapping standards. It will take awhile but getting 90% of ATS on the level of Idaho and above visually can be a map to reckon with.

Once Texas and Montana are done, SCS can either go with 2 rebuild teams and 2 paid dlc teams. Or they can go with 1 rebuild team and 3 paid dlc teams. I think pushing forward with 3 paid is the right move. Others will want the base map more. For me, 3 paid maps supports ATS much much better with 3 paid maps. Not to mention populates the US faster. That offsets the cost it takes for the rebuild team to operate for a free map, unless you are new to the game of course.

There are far fewer states that need 50% or more worth of a rebuild. All though it will take time, there are not as many years ahead it will take to rebuild vs the amount of years ahead for unmapped areas. The rebuild team could eventually move on to a paid dlc anyways.
TheAmir259

#1508 Post by TheAmir259 » 10 Jan 2022 02:16

Having a 3 paid 1 rework team sounds the most logical thing to do, if you ask me. But if the voices of those who wants a Nevada rebuild asap keeps increasing, they might reach a point where they know the community can't wait any longer to get rid of the old Nevada, especially the absolutely horrible I-80 (Nevada), in which they'll undoubtedly have to compromise down to 2 paid 2 rework. At the very least, i would maintain a 3 paid 1 rework until Oklahoma releases, in which afterwards the remaining 2 can continue working on the next DLC while one that worked on Oklahoma could turn back west for the reworks.
Two wrongs don't make a right, three lefts...do :D
flight50

#1509 Post by flight50 » 10 Jan 2022 03:05

I’ve been on the Nevada bandwagon. But it’s only I-80 I want fast tracked. The rest can wait til after California. Most other comments have just co-signed I-80 fast tracked with maybe a chance at US-50 because of the Sacramento rework. I didn’t want to be too greedy so I just mention I-80. It won’t take 2 teams to do both California and just I-80. Just probably 2 mappers from Texas on I-80 once Texas is released, while a few more from Texas go back to California.

The blog stated at one point, California had up to 12 people. 10 can be on California and 2 on I-80. Once they finish, back to California full time. 12+ can knock out huge chunks of California if it’s all just getting rebuilt. Don’t worry about trying to make stuff work, just scrap it all. New mappers don’t know how older mapping worked. Much easier to just make ground up when you have junior mappers. I’m predicting a completed California comes Q4 2023 or Q1 2024. 12 mappers is larger than the Colorado and Wyoming team and look what they did in 12 months.

So for 2022, hopefully 1.44 can bring phase 2. If we are lucky we can get phase 3 Nov /Dec at the end of this year. That then leaves Central and Southern California to do. Central will go a tad faster. So after Texas and Montana if we get both for 2022, California then goes to the main focus. Get 12-15 people there. The smaller states coming after Texas and Montana may only need 7-8 people each perhaps. Even with 3 paid teams, that’s only 24 people. The rest can be on California.

We do know that on the 2020 Xmas stream, Pavel mentioned there was about 30 mappers for ATS. They hired some since and it was even said on the blog, that more mappers are coming this January. I wouldn’t be surprise if Pavel was aiming for 40-45 mappers to seriously put a dent in North America...not just the US.
Double M

#1510 Post by Double M » 10 Jan 2022 18:43

@flight50 I am sorry that I am not so optimistic and disagree with you, but I have my doubts to see California finished so quickly. Reading the blog I was a bit disappointed, because it gives me the feeling that it will take 5 or 6 phases to completely rework California. And launching one a year may take 5 or 6 years. I think the speed with which it rebuilds is going to be due to how well the DLCs in Texas and Montana sell.

I think this year we are only going to receive phase 2 and phase 3 will have to wait until 2023. Because the priority is to get Texas and Montana out this year. Hopefully I'm wrong and we will also receive phase 3 in 2022.

Regarding new members joining the team in January, I am very happy to hear the news. But I am concerned that these members once they gain knowledge, they will be transferred to teams to make future payment dlcs. Then we would go back to a very small team again and again we would be in the same situation, with a slower development.

I really hope and wish to be wrong with what I have said above. See completely renovated California and of course also Nevada and Arizona, in a relatively acceptable time frame.

Return to “General discussion about the game”