Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Sara

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#3811 Post by Sara » 15 Mar 2023 15:56

Honestly, taking a look at Carlsbad, CA, I think yeah, should be just made scenic. Like, it could actually be used best to make San Diego look large. And while at the same time, can push San Diego a little further north away from the Mexican border to where it currently is in ATS.
Bedavd

#3812 Post by Bedavd » 15 Mar 2023 16:30

viewtopic.php?p=1131285#p1131285

Here's what Max said about Carlsbad back in 2019 when Shiva and I were talking the closest cities seem to be together at the time. I hope because of these thoughts it has a pretty good chance of being removed in favor of a nicer drive.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#3813 Post by flight50 » 15 Mar 2023 16:43

Both Los Angeles and San Diego would fair well if they are at least the size of Redding. They should technically be larger than Redding by far. So the more space for both LA and SD, the better. I'm better without Carlsbad period though. Both SD and LA seriously spread out and if Tijuana is to come someday, we'd need space for the border content. So yes push SD North enough so that a border can go in when its time. I-8 has enough curves in it so its easily adjustable to I-5.

I think SD can easily absorb Carlsbad or just stretch SD North to Carlsbad. Both SD and LA can get ports. Both should get ports. If SCS makes both and use the water, we can really get some nice sizable ports. By the time LA and SD are reworked, we should have this engine update in for sure. I'd like to see more complexity with ports. Holding the base map reworks to phases vs trying to do all at once is best. Its the main reason why I keep saying the longer it takes to rebuild the better. Simply because in phases, more and more new technology can come. Especially once the engine update is out. I don't see any reason to rush California's Southern sector. Whether we get Central California coming up or Phase 1 Nevada, neither are on the level of Southern California so they can be done with the current game engine.

LA and SD can be better than anything done in Texas............because they would be newer. But my main concern is will SCS add new economy to California like they should, or will they just rebuild old companies prefabs with the same names and stick them right back in the base map and call it a day? Honestly, I think they need do both new companies and rebuild the old ones to accompany longer trailer combinations. If they are going thru the trouble for a complete rebuild, use this opportunity to add stuff that actually exist in California. Add national chains to California that can go in every states. Add more US economy to California would be the best along with the rest of the reworks. The base map and the rescale was done before articulated trailers came in 2017. Even pup doubles need space. If we can get multi drop and ability to separate pups and park separately by the time LA and SD are rework, that would be sweet.

@Bedavd thanks for that link. I never saw that. Lets cross fingers that Carlsbad NM is good enough and SD and LA can realllllly grow now. Its going to be a bad look imho if LA nor SD are at least equal to the sprawl of Redding. Adding Modesto, Chico, Salinas and even Visalia can make up for San Rafael, Carlsbad and Oakdale.
Sara

#3814 Post by Sara » 15 Mar 2023 19:25

If they extend LA and SD outwards from each other a bit, even if just to be more scenic with what appears to be houses on eitherside of the freeways, then it could look bigger than Redding to be honest. They do though need to fix the issue with the size of Redding though, since it shouldn't be as big in game to what it is in real life.
parasaurolophus67

#3815 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 15 Mar 2023 19:27

@Sara Look at this point nothing can be done now to Redding. It might as well leave as it is as a reminder that some cities like Redding shouldn't be that big. On the plus side some people like the size too.
Sara

#3816 Post by Sara » 15 Mar 2023 19:30

I'm not saying something has to be done now. That is not what I'm saying at all. All I'm saying Redding does need to be sized down a bit to not be as large as it is now. Doesn't mean it has to be done now, doesn't mean it has to be done tomorrow or within the next update.
parasaurolophus67

#3817 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 15 Mar 2023 19:31

I mean Not touching it at all period. Like Maybe small changes if some constructions goes on there.
rbsanford

#3818 Post by rbsanford » 15 Mar 2023 19:54

Cross-replied from the 1.47 OB thread, from @AbsoTheFox:
Question - were the Interstate overlay signs for I-280, I-244, I-405, I-880, and I-205 in game before? Because they're there now.
We have I-405 in Portland, and there's also one in Seattle, but I don't remember if that one has an overlay sign. I hope we'll get the 405 in the LA area, though; that place is freeway city, and from what I can tell, the 405 is one of the most significant highways in the area. The 280, 880, and 205 give some hints as to what's being done in the Bay Area, and the fact that the overlays are in the files now is promising.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Sara

#3819 Post by Sara » 15 Mar 2023 19:58

@parasaurolophus67 I don't ever recall anywhere saying Redding will not be touched at all in the future. I know SCS's current goal is to revamp all of California, as well as Nevada and eventually Arizona, but I don't ever recall anything being said that already revamped areas will never get touched again.
parasaurolophus67

#3820 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 15 Mar 2023 19:59

@Sara They didn't, I was mostly saying it as a opinion.

Return to “General discussion about the game”