Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2692 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 Jun 2022 17:23

SLC mostly just needs a new backdrop and an expanded downtown scenery because downtown is not believable at all compared to Denver, Portland, and Seattle. Even Phoenix and Albuquerque. SLC's downtown in-game is just way too small and missing some suburbs around it too. Same with Tuscon. That alone would be a big improvement. Maybe add the airport if it fits. Not much more needed.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#2694 Post by flight50 » 16 Jun 2022 19:26

The SLC airport won't fit unless you remove that entire area North of I-80. I think that is what I remember from back in the day looking with the dev cam. SLC is one of the weaker cities though. I'll agree on that and its not just because of the mountains. Its just not a great asset wise. The models don't stand out to me. I agree with seriousmods though in that the roads are good going thru it. But the scenery is not as energetic as other cities that look great. Sacramento's rework is good. Its on the lines of Portland, Seattle and Denver. I expected SLC to be something like those.

I'm almost willing to be a senior did not do SLC. If San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and Stockton turn out great with phase 3...........SLC will need a redo but keep the roads in tact.
Tristman

#2695 Post by Tristman » 16 Jun 2022 20:56

I think the industrial area of SLC (where the Avalanche Steel depots are) is good and the Bingham Canyon is of course very nice. But otherwise it doesn't really convey much of a feeling.
The intersections of I-80 and I-15 were done very well though, and there's a good number of lanes running through the city. Maybe the road network took priority when they were designing SLC.
Trakaplex

#2696 Post by Trakaplex » 16 Jun 2022 22:03

Tristman wrote: 16 Jun 2022 20:56 I think the industrial area of SLC (where the Avalanche Steel depots are) is good and the Bingham Canyon is of course very nice. But otherwise it doesn't really convey much of a feeling.
The intersections of I-80 and I-15 were done very well though, and there's a good number of lanes running through the city. Maybe the road network took priority when they were designing SLC.
Or maybe not for the north, because Ogden is in the way. But if they shoved Ogden more north, there won't be space for Brigham City or US-89/91 to Logan. But I suggest they redo Brigham City, because irl it's a lot more bustling. I've been there. They can also unblock US-89 north of Ogden, so players don't have to go all the way south to I-15 via Riverdale Rd.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Shiva

#2697 Post by Shiva » 17 Jun 2022 16:35

Trakaplex, where would you want US-89, north of Ogden go?
I-84 Exit 343, would have been nice. But the space, is not there.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
ASUSTechSupport

#2698 Post by ASUSTechSupport » 18 Jun 2022 02:10

I was looking around I-5 in Northern California, and I noticed that the highlighted section between the rest area south of Corning and Road 8 exit is represented by a 2.5 mile section of highway in real life. The gap between Road 8 and the Dunnigan Rest Area in game is larger than the gap between Corning and the same rest area. It's kinda weird that they didn't push the Road 8 exit closer to Dunnigan Rest Area, they could have pretty easily added the CA-99 interchange (to Yuba and Chico) if that been done imo.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Calibuddy99

#2699 Post by Calibuddy99 » 18 Jun 2022 02:49

@ASUSTechSupport That is like a 1:1 scale! You are right they could have made the road 8 exit plenty way closer! They could have made my dreams in Phase 2 if they didn't do that almost 1:1 scale looking design thing! They also need Red Bluff not Corning anyways! If it was Red Bluff instead of Corning we would already have all of Route 36 in the First Phase in the first place!
Nothing to say here anymore.
sametbey

#2700 Post by sametbey » 18 Jun 2022 15:35

Any chance of adding the giant aircraft depot in Tucson?

That would be great!

Return to “General discussion about the game”