Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Base Map Rebuild (CA, NV, AZ) General Discussion Thread

#2551 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 21 May 2022 07:54

What if SCS would first finish western US (everything west of the Mississippi river) in a 1:20 scale, and then start to build eastern US in a 1:15 scale? With or without an extra loading screen. And while SCS is building eastern US a rebuild team could start rescaling western US in the meantime. In the end the whole US would be in a 1:15 scale.
Optional Features

#2552 Post by Optional Features » 21 May 2022 08:29

If I were SCS, the Mississippi would be the end of ATS. Any further expansion would be in a separate, new title that was developed from East to West starting with Maine.
Bandit & The Snowman

#2553 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 21 May 2022 08:43

None of the fancy ideas about scale and whatnot convince me. That's just not in SCS's DNA. They'll bundle all the small states and try their best to make them look as good as possible given the limitations. And they'd better not make them the last map DLC before they move on to the rest of (North) America...
angrybirdseller

#2554 Post by angrybirdseller » 21 May 2022 08:49

1:20 scale, I think is fine just for whole North America to be honest. If someone wants more detailed east coast at 1:10 scale area give to them as seperate map with option for loading screen to enter it.
Mic_2

#2555 Post by Mic_2 » 21 May 2022 09:57

The problem with that, and to al lesser degree all scale discussion, is that it would also result in a price increase. If they simply scale the price to the amount of work, the east coast dlc's would end up costing close to 40 €/$. Even if they don't increase the price that much, it will still be a lot more expensive. There are already people complaining about the cost of everything of they would start with the base game today, and I think the necessary price increase to be able to afford making the dlc's would simply scare away too many potential customers
Sora

#2556 Post by Sora » 21 May 2022 10:00

SCS is barely capable of handling one ATS map at a reasonable pace. They're not going to maintain two overlapping versions of it, lmao. Especially since the moment they even try, ETS2 will demand the same and then they have FOUR maps to upkeep.

They're not going to do a second rescale for charity, either, especially since the first one ultimately ended with them needing to eventually scrap the existing map anyway via the oncoming reworks.

In either case, they'd be better off just making a new game. At which point we're no closer to getting all 50 states in a single game, because in exchange for a 1:15 Maine, nobody posting here will live to see California.

For the time being, keep an eye on ETS2 - it'll deal with this issue first. If they maintain the UK's current scale in its upcoming rework, or if they release the likes of Ireland or Iceland at a modified scale, MAYBE there's a small chance we'll get the janky Mississippi Loading Screen. If even those two end up being 1:19 in the end, they're clearly done with inconsistent scaling and there's no chance ATS is getting it.
angrybirdseller

#2557 Post by angrybirdseller » 21 May 2022 10:19

Agreed, they won't re-scale the map or make new game as that would require all new licenses and it would make alot users existing ATS unhappy.
VTXcnME

#2558 Post by VTXcnME » 21 May 2022 12:04

The small state layover from a few pages back confirms what I suspected. Rhode Island will basically be one big city with nothing else in it. That's gonna look beyond effed at this scale, not to mention inaccurate as all get out. Couple of the other states aren't as terrifying as I thought they might be. Still going to be leaving out more than a lot to have any kind of drops/depots there. The eastern states that have industry in the forests and different industry along the coast will have to be almost entirely ignored as there isn't room for all of that. Won't have to worry about the tree lined corridors someone else was talking about. At the 1:20 scale, it might be 2 minutes of driving tree lined streets before another city. LOL.

I know some folks can't wrap their head around why this is being discussed now, when SCS is years from being there. I suppose the only reason it's probably being discussed here and now is because of where the map is currently. As much work as it would be now to look at any rescaling.... it'll be far worse (FAAAR WORSE) if they wait until say the Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee/Alabama corridor to realize the current scale won't work moving further. Any scale up they can do will help free up the eastern states a bit for better digital reproduction. 1:17 as @flight50 says could be a good compromise between scale change and time to drive. I do understand some folks don't have all day to drive a single load somewhere. I don't have all day to play a game either, and I don't suppose anyone should be advocating a scale larger than 1:17-1:15. Anything larger than that, sure.... Albuquerque to Denver would take you the better part of 2 hours. For one delivery. That surely wouldn't work any better than an overly small map. 1:17 could allow a little more elbow room in what is going to be some VERY cramped spaces in about half a dozen (eeh, maybe the ten I mentioned) eastern states.

Obviously this is mostly all bar room banter as I seriously doubt SCS would even consider rescaling. We'll have states with one city in them, and we'll like it.
Bandit & The Snowman

#2559 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 21 May 2022 12:27

Or not, but it is what it is.
halbtollekreatur

#2560 Post by halbtollekreatur » 21 May 2022 14:51

Hope with the southern part we can get a Ghost Town like Bodie to deliver food or other stuff for tourists. At least some more tourist destinations like parks etc. would be nice.

Return to “General discussion about the game”