Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Freightliner Trucks Discussion Thread

#3871 Post by flight50 » 13 Jan 2023 01:06

I got banned for using that "I" word telling someone in that same context. You might wanna revise that before the same moderator that banned me sees you. I would say that not all Americans comment like that so its not a comment that should be directed to all Americans. There are plenty of Europeans and other nationalities that I've seen on here that make comments just like the one above.
Freeze338

#3872 Post by Freeze338 » 13 Jan 2023 05:16

I won't get offended, it's OK. That's why I changed my comment to the most of the Americans. I don't want to generalize people. But in Europe I didn't see much people like that. There are a lot of them who loves classic trucks. But I haven't seen anybody who believes that a truck gets malfunction just because it has curves and carbon parts. Because under the hood there isn't much difference between 389 and 579. Or 386 and 389 would be the best example. They both are the same thing. But somehow one of them is almighty while other is plastic trash. I just don't get that logic.
harishw8r

#3873 Post by harishw8r » 13 Jan 2023 06:18

I’m with Freeze on this one. I don’t get the logic of people who defame pretty much what people consider ‘modern’ in a truck (lightweight aero cabs, more digital stuff, automated transmissions, less chrome) because as pointed out, they are not so different. Personal preferences okay, but calling the rest ‘pure trash’ is an indicator of their close minded nature, and I wouldn’t consider it ‘old school’.
NoDe31

#3874 Post by NoDe31 » 13 Jan 2023 06:36

I think in case of USA trucks and Americans, its more about patriotism then anything else... Paccar is only truck manufacturer that is still in hands of good old "uncle Sam"... Everything else is bought and controled by europeans... In engine department situation is not so much better... Again, only one engine manufacturer in direct control of "uncle Sam", but unlike Paccar that cant outsell freightliner with both keny and pete combined... Cummins is still dominant force...
Bag of Donuts

#3875 Post by Bag of Donuts » 13 Jan 2023 12:05

I don't think being American has anything to do with it. I just think the guy dislikes Freightliner, and is assuming we will be getting another Freightliner do to how the past releases were handled. How about we get this back on topic now?

Anyways, after looking at more pictures of the VNL, I am pretty positive that picture posted a few pages back is a Volvo. The grill and side air ducts are very similar. The only thing throwing me off are the headlights, because Vovlo has never used headlights like that. It could be a Mack, I guess, but I am leaning hard on Volvo.
tigolebitties

#3876 Post by tigolebitties » 13 Jan 2023 13:12

Aero technology and electronics are the future. No sense in fighting that. We've been stuck in the transition period for about 2 decades now. With the introductions of new technology such as ELD, emissions equipment, and automated transmissions, it's faced a lot of resistance from those guys that were used to paper logs and rolling coal. Those resisting change are also the loudest, so we hear about their perspective more. The guys going a long with it generally don't have much to rave about.

Could be new Mack, going the direction of FL/WS with sharing sleepers between the two companies.
harishw8r

#3877 Post by harishw8r » 13 Jan 2023 13:20

That image file is named "Volvo_Mack", which kinda aligns with the Volvo design. So either a new Mack or the VNL's midlife update.
Freeze338

#3878 Post by Freeze338 » 13 Jan 2023 18:20

But, isn't Anthem a new truck? It's a 4 years old product. Cascadia is older so does the LT and they are doing pretty good job still. So, I don't think that mack will release another remodel unless they have a horrible market share. It could be Volvo tho. Since the European counterpart the FH gets some slight changes, VNL could also go on that road as well. Different interior design and slightly changed exterior. But VNL is also kind of new truck. So I'm not sure what that thing is.

But that's definitely not a Freightliner for sure. Since they shared same components with Western Star as well, they cannot go a drastic changes.
lweb3

#3879 Post by lweb3 » 13 Jan 2023 18:46

The Anthem, new Cascadia and new VNL were all released 2018 model year I’m pretty sure so I wouldn’t think any of them would be up for a refresh yet. But time will tell
Wolfi
Beta tester

#3880 Post by Wolfi » 13 Jan 2023 19:00

That "Masked Volvo" is most likely the new Anthem. I can only assume it's part of cost cutting, which Volvo took from Daimler. So soon enough Mack trucks will use the same cabs as Volvos.
As for the Cascadia thingy, it a bit soon for such a major facelift, but I can only assume Freightliner is forced to do it, because they are running out of parts for current gen and Daimler wants to avoid another 5700XE-level fail.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.

Return to “General discussion about the game”