Western Star Trucks Discussion Thread

cydonianmystery

Re: Western Star Trucks Discussion Thread

#4261 Post by cydonianmystery » 02 Feb 2023 22:07

As a more casual player, it just really bothers me to see such huge gaps between the truck and trailer. That would cause a ridiculous amount of drag.

I hope SCS will add fifth wheel adjustment as a feature in the future.
flight50

#4262 Post by flight50 » 02 Feb 2023 23:29

thesimp wrote: 02 Feb 2023 19:32 And then i see in ATS the 5th wheel position being way out of the normal and nobody seems to care. That annoys me so much.
Because not everyone cares, that make us wrong? I don't take photos and I never drive outside of cabin view. The axle position of my truck doesn't bother me. The position on the Ai doesn't bother me. I don't pay any attention to trailer to truck gap with the AI because I just don't. We all have our issues with the game but not all issues are shared equally amongst us all. There are more issues with the game that can make a difference for me. Now if we get multi drop, sliding tandems......then I would say we need sliding 5th wheels as well so that we can change them. But we need a reason to distribute weight. Cargo by pallet ties into scales, weigh stations, tandems and 5th wheel positioning. Until we get to control our own cargo, SCS won't have urgency for the 5th adjustments perhaps.
SmokeyWolf

#4263 Post by SmokeyWolf » 05 Feb 2023 23:57

Regarding the 5th wheel gap, that is how they are set up from the factory all the way back. The dealer doesn't adjust them. Only the trucking companies and/or drivers will adjust them when they get their new truck to their liking.
Bedavd

#4264 Post by Bedavd » 06 Feb 2023 02:58

It is something I’d like to see added! Either in the repair shop as another node, or in F4 so we can do it on the fly
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
SmokeyWolf

#4265 Post by SmokeyWolf » 06 Feb 2023 16:16

I agree, the 5th wheel gap on the 5700 is huge, bigger gap than the W900L.
tigolebitties

#4266 Post by tigolebitties » 06 Feb 2023 20:02

It is big but far more bearable than the 49x.
DracoTorre

#4267 Post by DracoTorre » 14 Feb 2023 20:39

The 5700XE is nicely done especially the interior colors and textures. The clock and radio appear quite nice with digital color changing with lights on or off. All the switches look great and easy to read (at 51-degree FoV, 1440p screen). Choosing seat style independently of interior choice really improves the customization.

My only nitpick is that the interiors top color should be lighter to match brochure (as reported in bugs). I like the Maple Leaf color, and it isn’t bad all same color, but makes the interior darker. So I chose Prairie Buckskin. Driving it in game has made me realize I would probably prefer the 4900. The gauge layout isn’t quite as convenient (without VR) as 9900i, but a decent layout which I managed to move the wheel to view the most of the gauges unobstructed.

As others pointed out the default seat position feels real close to front. Comparing with on-line images showing drivers with their eye-level near mid-main-mirror, I positioned my seat higher for similar view-height and way back so that the view appears similar as my view in 49X or 57X where my fore-aft positions are closer to the middle. I ended up with seat positioned 1 click from back and 1 click from top with 51-degree FoV as shown in image below.

[ external image ]

As shown the hat decoration on dashboard partially blocks the passenger-side hood mirror, but I see vehicles beside and one lane over without trouble.
Seerman

#4268 Post by Seerman » 14 Feb 2023 20:53

I solved a lot of problems in interiors in my mod.
But I was disappointed by the very fact that I had to fix it all. I expected a more correct approach to this model, as was done with the latest tracks from SCS.
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#4269 Post by PBandJ » 15 Feb 2023 03:13

Have spent the last 8000 miles in this truck putting it through the paces and didn't think there was anything to pull me out of my home in a PB 389 (paid or SCS ) but this truck just may give it a run for its money.....:)
LeafeonGold

#4270 Post by LeafeonGold » 21 Feb 2023 22:44

I also agree with the 5th wheel positioning issue, where I see the default is to have it all the way back between the axles, but for aerodynamics and looks I would prefer to have it closer to the cab to lessen the gap between truck and trailer. As it stands, I feel like I could park a small car between the back of the cab and the front of the SCS box trailer, and that's not a look I usually go for, plus the gap is much smaller on the other aero trucks I use, like the Peterbilt 579. There is a mod that adds a second chassis option that has the 5th wheel forward in the track, but I think a version of the chassis with the 5th wheel and the track moved forward would look the best. I rarely have seen a setup where the front of a standard box trailer is behind the forward tandem on a truck on the highway.
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I7-4790K |//| EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW |//| 32GB RAM
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens

Return to “General discussion about the game”