Western Star Trucks Discussion Thread

JaDaKa

Re: Western Star Trucks Discussion Thread

#3791 Post by JaDaKa » 07 Aug 2022 17:35

I had concluded to the same @Corvinus .. One other truck I like a lot is the VNL..
Knightrider

#3792 Post by Knightrider » 07 Aug 2022 17:56

I hope in the near future SCS and WS work something out that will allow ATS players to get a more accurate representation of the 57X model when it comes to options and features. Specifically speaking, basic interior with analogs and the eaton fuller manual transmissions. Both are clearly listed as options/features in the Truck/manufacturer's website and still is unknown why are missing in the game.

Regards
Best Regards.

Hosting a dedicated server for ETS 2/ATS, with optional mods support.
JoeAlex23

#3793 Post by JoeAlex23 » 07 Aug 2022 17:59

Read a few pages back, TruckerDog said the team asked WS about those options on the 57X and things are looking promising but nothing confirmed yet.
Knightrider

#3794 Post by Knightrider » 07 Aug 2022 18:01

@JoeAlex23 thank you for the information. i'll look for truckerdog's post.

Regards.
Best Regards.

Hosting a dedicated server for ETS 2/ATS, with optional mods support.
55sixxx

#3795 Post by 55sixxx » 08 Aug 2022 00:08

Welp... After 11K miles I came to the conclusion the truck is pretty nice. Now after 24K miles this truck is now my favorite in ATS.

[ external image ]

49X comes in second place... And if the DD Engine sound from the Cascadia was still the same from day 1 (And the same one as the Western Stars)... Then it would be in third place.

And since I recently got myself a G29... Tonight I got to experience and learn how to drive a manual on a 18spd (I already had an idea how but never got to try it before)... Did fairly good for a beginner but still prefer auto's, the comfort of auto's is on another level.
vmfrlt

#3796 Post by vmfrlt » 08 Aug 2022 05:07

Another interesting fact is that IRL, the Western Star 57X and Freightliner Cascadia have a choice of 300 gal(150 + 150 gal) fuel tanks.

I wonder why the 240 gal fuel tank configuration is the maximum in ATS.
My PC Specification
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 1800X
  • VGA: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
  • RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR (8G x 4)
Holzauge

#3797 Post by Holzauge » 08 Aug 2022 05:33

With the 49X I prefer the Cummins efficiency plus Eaton or Allison. So I would love to see those engines and transmissions with the 57X, which is at the moment (with DD "only", without a medium chassis atm and without analog dashboard as an option) already one of my favorite trucks (can't really tell which one is the "Numero Uno"). So maybe? :D

Addition: I don't know if available IRL, but I would like to see apaintable and a plastic rear fender, too. As usual not a "must", but a "nice to have"... ;)
VDMA
plykkegaard

#3798 Post by plykkegaard » 08 Aug 2022 18:02

Sorry I am a bit late to being cruising Montana with the new WS 57X
First impression: The automatic gearbox struggles a bit weird when it performs kick down uphill and the jake brake is imo a little too effective
Only have a few hours under the hood but I tend to switch back to my 49X due to the current state of the 57X

Please refer to older postings in case your have ddiscussed this aalready

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
EllieODaire

#3799 Post by EllieODaire » 09 Aug 2022 02:55

rookie_one wrote: 05 Aug 2022 12:08For the eaton transmissions, they list "Eaton Fuller Manual 10- 13- 18-speed", so I suspect that the Eaton Fuller manual are available, but NOT the Ultrashift variants (and especially not the Endurant), but then again, that might change
I don't know if this has been addressed previously but the Endurant is not available with Detroit engines IRL, it is only meant to be mated to the Cummins X15 & X12 and International A26 engines (and PACCAR branded TX versions can be mated to the MX13 & MX11).

The Ultrashift ought to still be mechanically doable since it's based on the manual transmissions that are already an option for the real 57X, but DTNA is only offering the DT12 transmissions so far for autos on the 57X. The Ultrashift is available on the new Cascadia and uses the same shifter paddle as the DT12, so there isn't really any reason you couldn't build a 57X with an Ultrashift other than brand exclusivity with the OEM.
howey wrote: 05 Aug 2022 13:53Why would they include the Ultrashift or Endurant when they have the Detriot version for it instead.
The 18 speed Ultrashift is a popular option with Detroit engines IRL due to the lack of a Detroit 18 speed automated transmission. I believe this was a lot of the motivation behind the development of the newer heavier duty DT12 options introduced with the 49X, but even then sometimes more gears is just better no matter how good the DT12 gets.
Corvinus wrote: 06 Aug 2022 16:30 But I can't find a single pic online where there are 2 cutouts like the bottom picture, one for def and a seperate for fuel (I guess, I'm not trucker and no expert). Don't you just fuel behind the side skirt IRL?
It depends on the truck. In my experience most Freightliners have the cutout in the skirt for filling the diesel, but that also may have just been a tendency of the Freightliner fleets I worked with most (Prime Inc & Wilson Logistics). On old style Cascadias the DEF cap was under the metal panel above the top driver side step, but all of the Next Gen versions I've worked with have had two cutouts on the driver side.

Meanwhile most of the PACCAR trucks I've driven had fuel tanks filled behind the cab, though I've driven a couple 579s with skirt cutouts instead. My current truck, a 2016 T680 has fuel tanks that fill at the back of the cab.

Personally I prefer the cutouts, it makes it much easier to position the truck in such a way you can fill both the diesel tanks and the DEF tank without having to move the truck in between, though they do make it more difficult at rural stations where you only have one diesel pump with a really long hose instead of a satellite pump for the second tank.
rookie_one

#3800 Post by rookie_one » 09 Aug 2022 11:51

@EllieODaire concerning the Endurant, that's exactly why I said "especially NOT the endurant", but for the coupling, it's mostly a bellhousing and electronic things. The moment Eaton actually make a bellhousing to mate it mechanically to Detroit engines, and adapt their electronics to work with the engines, it will be able to work with Detroit engines.
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here

Return to “General discussion about the game”