ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

User avatar
Wolfi
Beta tester
Posts: 11313
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 12:14
Location: United Republic of Huggable Fuzzbutts

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#501 Post by Wolfi » 02 Aug 2020 17:06

Some newbie driver wrote:
02 Aug 2020 09:26
Then my question is what makes that contact to don't happen IRL between fenders and wheels. If everything would have the correct size, SCS shouldn't have to raise the fenders in the models to avoid clipping. Either something has not the correct size or the level between the axle and the chassis is different than IRL (that's why I though that maybe could be related with adjustable suspension and asked about it).
Nopes, the reason is different. IRL we have a functionality called "take off fender top" or "push the liftable axle into the fender top". So basically you either have the top of the fender removed, or you accept the fact that your tires will slightly push into the inner part of the fender. (Fenders are usually fairly elastic so no issues there). In game it's only possible to remove fender tops on few selected trucks, at least for now, so no easy fixes there, yet. Also, pushing wheel into fender is only viable if you have a regular tire size, or smaller than regular (this is typical for Finnish setups, where the tag axle is fitted with smaller wheels). In game this does result with clipping. And that is the issue that SCS wishes to avoid I assume.
Because no matter how hard you try you will not explain to people that they have to remove fender top for liftable axle. :roll: (the only chassis without such issue is 4x2 for obvious reasons)

And yes, I can 100% confirm the issue will be there. I have modified my Premium to have the fenders in 1:1 correct position to real truck. Those fenders cause no issues with a regular 6x4, but they do clip with lifted axles. (mind you, with regular size tires, the clipping is barely noticeable)

To conclude, while I somewhat understand SCS's decision to raise the fenders, I think that with current progress they have made on truck models, they should just give us the option of removing fender tops and put them fenders in their correct height, it would make a lot more sense than the current "solution" that causes even bigger and more obvious issue.

As for which truck will come and when... the answers are:
YES, SCSoon ;)
ImageImage

User avatar
xXCARL1992Xx
Posts: 10859
Joined: 17 Aug 2016 12:18
Contact:

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#502 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 02 Aug 2020 17:11

or custom lift hight for trucks, and set them so it doesnt clip that we can have the fenders on the right position without clipping and the need to remove the top

the best solution ofc is if the game would just calculate how much the fender deforms when the wheel presses against it but this would be to over the top :lol:
Image
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Some newbie driver
Posts: 3124
Joined: 12 Dec 2018 11:37

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#503 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Aug 2020 17:13

Thanks for the explanation Wolfi.

Maybe the compromise and easiest solution would be to put the fenders on it's right height AND to avoid we could install full fenders on liftable axles (so, option of partial fenders to all trucks). That would give us proper models depiction while avoiding complains about the lifted wheels clipping.

Regards

PS: I suppose we all would like lots of other nice graphic features to be included to the game before they include deformable fenders. Right xXCARL1992Xx? :)

plykkegaard
Posts: 2724
Joined: 26 Oct 2014 13:42

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#504 Post by plykkegaard » 02 Aug 2020 17:54

Some newbie driver wrote:
02 Aug 2020 16:56
I don't think those companies are really ready to do that step in trust on video-games companies; we are talking of industrial property VERY sensitive.
They have a signed contract I am quite sure the manufacturers have this aspect covered
I have dealt with 3rd party confidential information in the past and it has never been an issue to get the information I needed or access factory sites
Some newbie driver wrote:
02 Aug 2020 16:56
It's amazing enough that SCS has convinced some companies for provide them CAD files of already-released products...
I assume it is a standard request from 3rd party builders to get CAD drawings, eg custom build on top of a chassis, mount a crane etc
Sorry, out of office

User avatar
xXCARL1992Xx
Posts: 10859
Joined: 17 Aug 2016 12:18
Contact:

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#505 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 02 Aug 2020 18:02

CAD files are not a guarantee to be included, see Scania, i can say for sure they have one of the best relationships with them and they still had to go and take pictures of the trucks to make models, same with Krone, we only know of International and Mack where they got full CAD data access, MAN only got partial one for the chassis, the cabs are made with Photogrammmetrie

manufacturers are really reluctant to give out data that can get into the wrong hands
Image
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Jax
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Sep 2015 20:10

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#506 Post by Jax » 02 Aug 2020 18:05

Bocaj wrote:
02 Aug 2020 11:51
@xXCARL1992Xx Liftable fifth wheel are perfectly fit for Long haul, BUT they ONLY exist on LOWDECK trucks to take standard trailers, seen about ten in the last Two Years so not super common.
For the rest you say i agree, more simulation towards suspension etc.
In the UK the entire DPD fleet use Jost adjustable fifth wheels and Fly By Nite use GF adjustable fifth wheels. A few other operators also use adjustable fifth wheels too here in the UK. But they are mainly only on mega units.

Some newbie driver
Posts: 3124
Joined: 12 Dec 2018 11:37

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#507 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Aug 2020 18:46

plykkegaard wrote:
02 Aug 2020 17:54
They have a signed contract I am quite sure the manufacturers have this aspect covered
Oh, of course they have signed non-disclosure agreements. But that's only a dissuasive measure, not a security measure. Let's imagine I was a competitor of Iveco who want to do industrial espionage on them (something that IRL happens CONTINUOUSLY), it would be for me A LOT easier to stole that data from third party companies than from Iveco themselves. So Iveco will be reluctant to give their CAD data even under heavy non-disclosure agreements. There has to be also a commitment in the securing of that data AND a certain level of trust with that company. The company I work for has 2 clients that work as part suppliers for vehicle manufacturers and believe me when I say they make no jokes in that matter.
plykkegaard wrote:
02 Aug 2020 17:54
I assume it is a standard request from 3rd party builders to get CAD drawings, eg custom build on top of a chassis, mount a crane etc
Most third-party body-builders would require CAD data waaaaaaaay simpler than SCS needs. For some manufacturers you could even download it freely from their websites (I recall to have seen some DAF body.-builders web portal with all the schematics). Unless the piece of machinery that you want to put on that chassis would require to take the truck to its very design limit (special vehicles, way over the regular ones legal limits), no better data neither manufacturer involvement would be necessary.

On the contrary, to do a good 3D depiction of a truck, SCS needs a CAD data with a detail till de last visible bolt and for the physics characterization even some more. It's a success for them to had received such info of some models already in the market (after all, once released, all your competitors will take one and dissect if throughout). But to obtain that data of a vehicle that still has not been released or almost (I don't remember well the S-Way release date) is a complete different thing.

Regards

Bocaj
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Feb 2017 11:08
Location: Somewhere on E4
Contact:

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#508 Post by Bocaj » 02 Aug 2020 22:21

Jax wrote:
02 Aug 2020 18:05
Bocaj wrote:
02 Aug 2020 11:51
@xXCARL1992Xx Liftable fifth wheel are perfectly fit for Long haul, BUT they ONLY exist on LOWDECK trucks to take standard trailers, seen about ten in the last Two Years so not super common.
For the rest you say i agree, more simulation towards suspension etc.
In the UK the entire DPD fleet use Jost adjustable fifth wheels and Fly By Nite use GF adjustable fifth wheels. A few other operators also use adjustable fifth wheels too here in the UK. But they are mainly only on mega units.
Afjustable fifth wheels (back and forth) is common but height adjustable is only lowdecks, if i read you comment right.
Image

User avatar
JD6
Posts: 944
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 22:52
Location: Rudd Land - OBNOXIA
Contact:

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#509 Post by JD6 » 03 Aug 2020 00:53

Has the company (SCS) ever mentioned how they deal with bringing a truck into the game or people just make assumptions and take them as fact just because it would seem OK or someone else did it? They way some dudes here talk it seems that SCS can only make 100% replicas of the real thing which is silly... or have some super-secret relationship with companies which is just as silly.

A model can be reproduced through pictures "easily". Besides optimizing it, acquiring the rights and deciding how and when to include the model within the game are what's taking so long.

Some newbie driver
Posts: 3124
Joined: 12 Dec 2018 11:37

Re: ETS2 1.39 Speculation Thread

#510 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Aug 2020 09:21

They have talked lots of times about those details, yes. Either in several blog posts (under the hood, licensing ones and when they release a truck they give info too) and also they give sporadic details in streams or in conversations in this forum with some devs. Of course, we cannot know for sure several specific details; but we can guess the most probable based in that info or other we can have. As I'm guessing when I said I highly doubt they can release this year an S-Wy, specially if made with CAD files, because I know from other sources how strict are vehicle brands when sharing CAD files, specially of very new models still not or just released. I can do nothing more than guess, but I'm pretty confident on it by objective reasons.

Regards

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion about the game”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cip, Esproquet, Micho014, Morien and 6 guests