Truck World: Australia

Optional Features

Re: Truck World: Australia

#171 Post by Optional Features » 30 Mar 2022 20:46

Wolfi wrote: 30 Mar 2022 20:09 With that I can agree, not having any reaction from truck/trailer during emergency braking is weird and unrealistic indeed. If anything we should at least get ABS engaging sounds, which at least in the older trucks I used to drive were loud and menacing enough to make you rethink your driving strategies.
I can live without the suspension kneel, especially on the trailer since I don't see it while driving in cab view. And it's not easy to get right either, even Snowrunner which has locking brakes pushed to extreme, doesn't simulate trailer behavior correctly. But it would be nice to get that sound, letting you know, you effed up.
About 1:46 on this video.

I want that kind of sound from the trailer.

https://youtu.be/L9_yyAo_smQ?t=106

And look at this cab rock:

https://youtu.be/rXeRUOAnF5k

This is the stuff that makes a truck cool to me. It's big; it's loud; and it moves and bounces like no passenger vehicle ever would.
plykkegaard

#172 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Mar 2022 21:08

JoeAlex23 wrote: 30 Mar 2022 18:34 There are no game engine limitations
We can agree current game version is unable to pull it through?
It needs to be implemented first

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
JoeAlex23

#173 Post by JoeAlex23 » 31 Mar 2022 00:21

plykkegaard wrote: 30 Mar 2022 21:08 We can agree current game version is unable to pull it through?
It needs to be implemented first
Yeah, that's a better way of putting it, the current physics system can't do that
bobgrey1997

#174 Post by bobgrey1997 » 31 Mar 2022 17:34

seriousmods wrote: 30 Mar 2022 19:00 Truck ABS is not nearly as good as car ABS. Right, @bobgrey1997? It's still possible to temporarily lock up brakes (especially on trailers), and even without full lock, sliding is still possible and realistic.

Example: this Volvo jackknifing on a slick road. Tires aren't stuck to the ground like they are in game.
https://youtu.be/761KQ5jppmw
The truck I used to drive never did have ABS on the trailer. Every time I hit the brakes, the trailers ABS light as well as a light on my dash for the trailers ABS would light up. All I could tell was some kind of software issue in the truck's computer wouldn't read the trailer connection correctly. As such, I have figured out ABS is quite useless. If the brakes are locking up, the simple solution (which is the exact same one ABS has) is to let off the brakes for a bit.

ABS is probably much "worse" in trucks simply because they are on a vehicle 80 times heavier.
It's not that they are worse, but rather that the brakes are under much more stress than those in a car, ajd much more prone to locking up, which gives the ABS more opportunity to mess up. That said, the weight of the vehicle can often help you stop in these cases. The main issue with locking up brakes isn't the lack of stopping power (the wheels aren't moving, so you theoretically have the highest possible braking power), but rather the vehicle "hopping" across the road (like a rock skipping across the surface of the water), so the wheels are no longer in contact with the ground. A loaded truck has a harder time doing this because of the weight, so your locked-up wheels have more contact with the ground.

Basically, ABS is more likely to fail in a truck than it is in a car, but this is less likely to prevent the vehicle from stopping.
Wolfi wrote: 30 Mar 2022 17:53 Erm... ABS exists exactly to prevent this kinds of situations.
While ABS exists exactly to prevent the brakes from locking up and the vehicle sliding, they are not 100% effective, and very often fail to prevent it.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#175 Post by Wolfi » 31 Mar 2022 17:39

Guess crappy ABS is an American thing then. Cause in the trucks I used to drive back in the day when ABS was more of a novelty rather than the norm, it never failed me. Mind you I only used it a couple of times on various trucks and more as a sort of "finding the limit" rather than full on emergency, but still, it was working as intended.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
bobgrey1997

#176 Post by bobgrey1997 » 31 Mar 2022 17:49

They work as intended, which is not 100% effectiveness, because that is simply not possible. Nothing is 100% effective.
If you only tested it a couple times, you lack enough data. Any vehicle with ABS will most likely work at least a couple times.
Even in my truck that practically didn't have ABS at all on the trailer, it still worked a few times here-and-there.
If you made use of it more often, you'd probably hear a bit of skidding, but not notice much distance, compared to cars that will skid and hop a few hundred feet on locked brakes.
xXCARL1992Xx

#177 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 31 Mar 2022 18:02

every truck and trailer has ABS (well it is called EBS and it is mandatory on ever truck+trailer) and it works 100% of the time, if it doesnt it means it is defective or the sensors are broken, its job is exactly to prevent the locking up of the wheels (the EBS version is even so advanced it locks/unlocks the brakes depending on the wheel many times a second) also all our newer trucks and trailers (at least the last 10 to 15 years maybe more) are equipped with disk brakes, there is no drum brake not even as option for all i know, this can also be a big factor, also, the weight of the vehicle is irrelevant for the ABS, it just checks if the wheel is rotating or not, if not, release brakes to get it rotating again
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Dotec

#178 Post by Dotec » 31 Mar 2022 18:17

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 31 Mar 2022 18:02there is no drum brake not even as option for all i know
Mercedes Arocs still has drum brakes

[ external image ]

https://docplayer.org/39573394-Einfuehr ... rvice.html
Page 54, 57 and 58
plykkegaard

#179 Post by plykkegaard » 31 Mar 2022 18:52

Is the Actros a trailer, this is what is dicussed

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”